Mashing with Infected Backset

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Mashing with Infected Backset

Post by Twisted Brick »

After 'harvesting' and refrigerating 2 gallons of HBB backset from my last stripping run, for grins, I left the balance in my keg and sealed it up. Curious as to how it would behave in the hot weather, after 3 weeks, I pulled some out to discover a thin white film floating on the top. Unfortunately, I didn't observe the infection prior to disturbing it, thus I have no description of its growth characteristics, but I will say this: it smelled wonderfully delicious and sweet! There were no fruity notes, just caramel and brown sugar.

After boiling the 1/2 gallon sample, all of the yummy sweetness disappeared and it returned to smelling like, well, acrid fresh backset.

With no experience with soured/infected backset, I am hesitant to include it (3qts in a 12 gallon) in my next mash as usual. Would it be safer to boil it first?

What are the risks of including an infected portion just prior to the end of fermentation? I am ASSuMEing that because it smells so good it is safe to use.

Thanks in advance.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Re: Mashing with Infected Backset

Post by StillerBoy »

I have no experience mashing with infection, other that I had some months back an HBB develop a white film, not during the fermentation period, but just the clearing period, but interested in the questions you raised..

Will follow this thread with interest..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
Big Stogie
Swill Maker

Post by Big Stogie »

A little lacto infection from the sound of it, should not hurt anything
When the student is ready the teacher will emerge.

Flute Journey viewtopic.php?f=17&t=69736
ElCubanazo
Bootlegger

Post by ElCubanazo »

I have experience with infected dunder (rum) specifically and not whiskey but I imagine the experience probably translates over.

Mashing temps would probably kill any nasty bugs you don't want growing in your wash anyway but if you wanted to be safe perhaps when you're boiling the water for the mash then boil the backset too.

That said, over in the rum parts of the forum I've seen it said time and time again that you get more esters out of infected dunder if you mix it with low wines. You can do this in the boiler for the spirit run but I think for best results mix with low wines about a week beforehand.

Reason being the acids made by the infection have a higher concentration of alcohols to interact with and form esters in the low wines than the wash (higher ABV).

But if you just wanna add it to your wash for fun I see no reason not to. I do both in wash and low wines just to get tons of esters!
-El Cubanazo

¡Viva Cuba Libre!
Zeotropic
Rumrunner

Post by Zeotropic »

Tonight I am making a batch of all corn if my low propane levels don't totally screw my plans up. I have included about 3 gallons of infected backset because it was all I had to adjust ph so it will be interesting to see in a few weeks how that works out for flavor.
I figured I would post here rather than starting a new thread.
IMG_20210411_190130276.jpg
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Zeo,

Unfortunately that’s mold in your bin, not lacto pellicle. A big difference and not near as appetizing. I wouldn’t want to use the mold scum, although the backset below it is still probably OK. Bacteria doesn’t like to grow in such an acidic environment.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Zeotropic
Rumrunner

Post by Zeotropic »

still_stirrin wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:26 pm Zeo,

Unfortunately that’s mold in your bin, not lacto pellicle. A big difference and not near as appetizing. I wouldn’t want to use the mold scum, although the backset below it is still probably OK. Bacteria doesn’t like to grow in such an acidic environment.
ss
Yeah I figured it wasn't lacto but it was infected with something that's for sure.
There was some sort of a big scoby type mass in the bottom. It didn't smell bad other than the slight musty smell from the mold so I used all of the liquid minus the mold and the scoby and I am going to bring it to a boil along with the corn because I'm trying to improve my yield and I've heard that boiling may be just the ticket so it works out to kill two birds with one stone by killing the nasties and cooking the corn.
Zeotropic
Rumrunner

Post by Zeotropic »

Well that batch turned out great and I can't say I could tell any difference for sure but it sure is nice.
I saved one bottle of the nicest hearts white and cut a bit wider for aging and the white is already good. I put it in a corked bottle to age a bit and I am looking forward to tasting it in a few months.