Anybody have experience with Tritricale?

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Hillbilly-in-Oz
Novice

Anybody have experience with Tritricale?

Post by Hillbilly-in-Oz »

Fine Gentlemen,
I have been interested in this grain for a while. Its pretty readily grown in Australia and is a cross between wheat and rye (literally a genetic cross). I was wondering if anybody has ever tried mashing with this grain and what it might end up like? Might be a new experiment to see what it makes and which attributes it carries from each.

Cheers
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Re: Anybody have experience with Tritricale?

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Ive not personally played around with it , but Know that it has been done by other Aussie distillers on one on the other distilling forums.
Not sure if anyone here has tried it or not.
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

Hmmm... I learn something new everyday whether I like it or not.

Hillbilly, I found at least this taste description at Dry Fly Triticale Whiskey.

In summary:
"Dry Fly Triticale Whiskey is made from one specific seed variety of triticale, grown on the same 117 year-old homesteaded family farm as our wheat.
Triticale is a hybrid of wheat and rye, developed in Scotland in the 1800’s.
It is the world’s only straight triticale whiskey that drinks a little like a rye with peppery overtones, but finishes like a soft wheat whiskey."

Then there's this from our own HD in 2008.

Please let us know how this goes if you do it, Hillbilly!
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

In Punkin thread, as provided by Fizzix, the grain bill was 60/40 cracked corn/triticale (which he cracked) and mashed using enzymes..

In Alt Whiskey by Darek Bell, his grain bill is 75/25 2-row/triticale, which the one I want to try down the road some..

Quote from the book: " Malted triticale is similar to malted rye and has been identified as a grain with great promise for the brewing industry. Unmalted triticale has high distatic power and a very low gelatinization temperature. Triticale can mash without prior boiling. "

So there are a few who have play with the grain.. punkin descript the taste in the tread..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein