Temperature Control Devices

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

treusewillout
Novice

Temperature Control Devices

Post by treusewillout »

Hi HD: I just updated my fermenting setup to a water-immersion system to ensure constant regulated heat throughout the ferment: 20L fermenter in a 40 gal Brute bucket + an Inkbird ITC-308 and an Allied Precision bucket heater.

I ensured that the thermostat gave accurate readings before I began, and compared temp readings with two other thermometers. After several hours of continuous use the thermostat on the Inkbird failed, and would register 10C lower than the actual temp of the water - engaging the heating element and bringing the water temps to 40C or more... I returned the first device, and the replacement similarly failed after a few hours of continuous use.

What devices do you use to control and monitor the temperature on your fermenters?

Thanks!
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Re: Temperature Control Devices

Post by NZChris »

Because stratification can be a problem with immersion heaters, I'd want see your probe and element placements before commenting.

My current 80l ferment has a 22W element underneath it's insulated fermenter and is controlled with an STC-1000, most of the heat generated by the yeast itself.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

I agree with Chris.

You need to keep the jacket water recirculating to avoid stratification. So, you’ll need another vessel/water reservoir and a pump to keep it moving. Regulate the temperature of the reservoir and pump that to the water jacket.

Use an “overflow” line to return the water to the reservoir. Gravity flow will work...just be sure the piping is big enough to easily handle the pump’s flowrate.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
zach
Swill Maker

Post by zach »

I use a Sonoff TH16 wifi smart switch for sous vide cooking, mashing, fermenting, and keg fridge controls.

The controller is $16 and the temp sensor is $10 on amazon. I've had one sensor fail in 2 years of use. I use the smart phone app when cooking or mashing to track temperature remotely.

I also have the same inkbird ITC-308 and have been lucky with it.

I had inkbird C909 with failed sensors and can't purchase replacements.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

zach wrote:I use a Sonoff TH16 wifi smart switch for sous vide cooking, mashing, fermenting, and keg fridge controls.

The controller is $16 and the temp sensor is $10 on amazon. I've had one sensor fail in 2 years of use. I use the smart phone app when cooking or mashing to track temperature remotely.
I really like the remote temp monitor capability. Thanks for sharing.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

treusewillout wrote:Hi HD: I just updated my fermenting setup to a water-immersion system to ensure constant regulated heat throughout the ferment: 20L fermenter in a 40 gal Brute bucket + an Inkbird ITC-308 and an Allied Precision bucket heater.
What devices do you use to control and monitor the temperature on your fermenters?

Thanks!
I'd recommend a smaller heater, the Inkbird is rated for 1000w but it can't take that much power for very long
Nor do you need that much power.
My Baine Marie fermenter is 60ish liters and I've been using a STC 1000 controller and a 200w heater
Nice thing about a baine marie, since the fermenter is heated from the bottom, temp stratification isn't a problem :thumbup:
treusewillout
Novice

Post by treusewillout »

Huge thanks to all!

@NZChris and @still_stirrin: Given that there is so little water comprising the jacket (maybe 5 gals?) I never thought about the need to recirculate the water. That being said, I only disrupted the water once a day to check SG. Would an aquarium pump not suffice? (Happy to supply pics of my setup if need be).

Thanks @zach and @shadylane for the hardware recs - the TH16 looks like a great way to stay connected to my rig while I'm at work, and I'll definitely look into a smaller element - the Allied Precision heater seemed a bit robust for what I needed. I still have the second InkBird, so perhaps I'll keep that for the time being while I try to recirculate the water jacket w/ a smaller element.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

If you can feel a difference in temperature as you run your hand down the side, you need to fix it. Any submersible pump should do. Have it run whenever the element is on. Either top to bottom, or bottom to top, I don't know which is best.

Insulation is my solution. Sometimes so much that I have to loosen it off and run a fan off the same controller to cool it. The most heating I've ever used was 200W in a New Zealand winter.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

NZChris wrote:If you can feel a difference in temperature as you run your hand down the side, you need to fix it. Any submersible pump should do. Have it run whenever the element is on.
I don't think a pump is needed for a small water bath heated fermenter :D
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Two Inkbirds developing the same fault within hours sounds like the problem wasn't with the Inkbirds, hence my first post.
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

I have a 100 gallon fermenter and have done several 90 gallon ferments.
Using a very similar setup I found that stratification does occur, leading to over heating.
Putting a small recirculating pump in the fermenter solved the problem.
Cranky's spoonfeeding:
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=52975

Time and Oak will sort it out.
treusewillout
Novice

Post by treusewillout »

Can anybody recommend a good heating element? My current setup has a water jacket of around 5-10 gals. A lot of the aquarium heaters I'm finding online get poor reviews or don't go up to 30C.
Kindafrench
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Kindafrench »

treusewillout wrote:A lot of the aquarium heaters I'm finding online get poor reviews or don't go up to 30C.
I use mine for something different, but the point is, that I was able to tweak the temperature scale / thermometer by 5 degrees. It shows 30, but heats up to 35. It‘s doing very well. Brand is Eheim Jäger, 150 Watts, 15 years old, no problems.
DAD300
Master of Distillation

Post by DAD300 »

500watt stainless steel aquarium heater. I use one 500watt in a 170 gallon stainless fermenter. Even in the winter it is more than enough. The temp will stratify only if the ferment is finished. The action of the yeast keeps it turning over bottom to top.

Simple...$20usd
CCVM http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... d#p7104768" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Ethyl Carbamate Docs viewtopic.php?f=6&t=55219&p=7309262&hil ... e#p7309262
DSP-AR-20005
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Here's a way to tame an oversized heater in the fermenter
It works good, use the boilers controller :wink:
bluefish_dist
Distiller

Post by bluefish_dist »

I ran 85-300 gallon fermentations using inkbird ac100’s with a 4000w camco brewers element. Due to stratification issues I mounted the element at the bottom and took the temperature at the top. This provided some turnover due to the convection. The elements were mounted in 2” triclamp bulkhead fittings from still dragon. The temp sensor was mounted using a rubber cork from the home brew shop. Overall simple and robust.

The 4000w elements are just over 1000w when run on 110 vs 240 and even though that was at the limit for the controllers I never had any issues with failure. Ran 5 systems for about 18 months continuously.
Formerly
Dsp-CO-20051
treusewillout
Novice

Post by treusewillout »

To close the loop on this - I purchased an aquarium pump and a smaller heating element (also kept the ac100) and have had great success since.

Thanks all!
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

Not to open the can of worms more, but a healthy dose of insulation around the entire system would help too. If things are insulated well you will use less power, see less spikes/fluctuations and the temps will be more equalized throughout the entire system with or w/o circulation. Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels