Leftovers

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

AkCoyote
Swill Maker

Leftovers

Post by AkCoyote »

Whenever I distill, I usually have leftovers. If it's a reflux run there's the heads and the tails. I double distill in the pot still so I have the foreshots, heads and tails.

Over the past year I've accumulated about a gallon of foreshots and 5 gallons of heads and tails. This is from grain, rice, sugar and grapes.

My reflux still gives me roughly 91-92% purity. Any suggestions on the best way to run and process all of the leftovers?

AkCoyote
linw
Swill Maker

Post by linw »

How about keeping it simple and just chuck everything into the boiler and use the reflux column on it????
Cheers,
Lindsay.
Grayson_Stewart
retired

Post by Grayson_Stewart »

Hey Ak,

Linw is right, just run everything through the reflux column...thats what I do.

You'll be surprised how much you get back out of that 5 gallons. I'd suspect there is at least 1.5 gallons comparable to the sweetest middle cut you've gotten in the past.
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
AkCoyote
Swill Maker

Post by AkCoyote »

That's what I was thinking. Just run everything. I'm curious to see how much will be foreshots.

AkCoyote
DBM

rerun

Post by DBM »

I would'nt rerun the forshots, just the heads and tails. Use the forshots as a cleaning fluid or something, you went through a lot of trouble and expense getting them out, don't put'um back in.

Re: rerun

Post by Guest »

DBM wrote:I would'nt rerun the forshots, just the heads and tails. Use the forshots as a cleaning fluid or something, you went through a lot of trouble and expense getting them out, don't put'um back in.
I agree...i wouldn't put the foreshots in...just the heads and tails.
DBM

Heads & tails

Post by DBM »

AK;
I usually mix my heads and tail in with my next run, that way you are carrying over on heads and tails from one run.
Grayson_Stewart
retired

Post by Grayson_Stewart »

Foreshots are suppose to be around 0.0067% or less of the volume of a grain a run so I wouldn't worry about it. If you are worried, toss out the foreshots every four or five runs and forget about it.
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
knuklehead
Rumrunner

Post by knuklehead »

@AK, I don't rerun the foreshots but I collect the heads and tails to do a reflux run. Make sure you get up early because because its going to be a long day :lol: . The last time I did it I had 12 liters at 40%. My still ran for 15 hours collecting at 95-94% till I was finally done. On the bright side I had a lot of stock for over the holidays.
... I say God bless you, I don't say bless you ... I am not the Lord, I can't do that ...
Dane Cook
Pieterpost
Swill Maker

Post by Pieterpost »

yeah I also have the same experience as knuklehaed here. It's takes a long time to collect 94-95% though a reflux still.......

However if you would also be satisfied with a lower percentage (lets say 92-93) this greatly speeds up the process ..........

Also don't forget to add some sodiumbicarbonate. I have noticed that a lot of off-flavours are getten don't get through when you add it!