Looking for a grain vodka recipe

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

roguepossum
Novice

Looking for a grain vodka recipe

Post by roguepossum »

I have a reflux still and want to take a swing at vodka as I’ve only done whiskey and it’s all aging.

Checked the good ol tried and true but only saw one and it was rice and want to do a grain recipe.

Checked you tube and saw potatoes may not be the best as they release too much water.

Thoughts? Recipes?
Last edited by acfixer69 on Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed advertisement
acfixer69
Global moderator

Re: Looking for a grain vodka recipe

Post by acfixer69 »

There are a few in tried and true. Wheat comes to mine. Turn off the phone app advertisement before posting in the forums
roguepossum
Novice

Post by roguepossum »

Hmmm I must have missed them. I looked twice but will try again
roguepossum
Novice

Post by roguepossum »

acfixer69 wrote:There are a few in tried and true. Wheat comes to mine. Turn off the phone app advertisement before posting in the forums
I’ve looked 4 times and don’t see any recipes for vodka in there. Do you know what they were called?
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

I stand corrected in T n T their is no all grain vodka I never noticed that. Most do rice because its cheap and the rest do with faints from Grain runs through reflux. It's not the most economical way but I always do the first couple gens of UJSSM as a vody
but that is not what you asked.
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

You may want to try the recipe by "Bentstick" in the T&T section.. it's an all grain, and it is really nice white, and that is distilled at 80%.. if it was done at 95%, it would be very nice as a vodka, in my view, but then, everyone is different..

Here's the link.. viewtopic.php?f=14&t=62008

Also, you may want to look in the recipe development section..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
zach
Swill Maker

Post by zach »

I have no interest in vodka, but if I were to try it, I'd start with an AG wheat or Rice.

I recently made a wheat flour all grain using enzymes and double distilled it. I believe it would make a good vodka.
roguepossum
Novice

Post by roguepossum »

StillerBoy wrote:You may want to try the recipe by "Bentstick" in the T&T section.. it's an all grain, and it is really nice white, and that is distilled at 80%.. if it was done at 95%, it would be very nice as a vodka, in my view, but then, everyone is different..

Here's the link.. viewtopic.php?f=14&t=62008

Also, you may want to look in the recipe development section..

Mars
Checking now. Many thanks
bluefish_dist
Distiller

Post by bluefish_dist »

A simple single malt would work well as vodka or any corn whiskey recipe. Vodka is more about the distillation than the fermentation.

Here is my vodka recipe, it makes 110 gallons of wash. Adjust as needed. 82.5 lbs of 2 row rahr malt, 120 lbs raw sugar, .83 lbs red star bread yeast, .25 lbs distillivite GN, 1.5 lbs calcium carbonate, .75 lbs citric acid, 15 ml amylo 300, 15 ml fermcap at.

Start by bringing water up to 155 ish deg in the mash tun, add crushed grain. Add 2 tbsp citric acid and amylo 300. Let sit for 1 hr. Check for conversion with iodine.
Transfer wort to fermenter which has sugar in it already. The hot wort will dissolve the sugar quickly. Top off with cold water to get to 110 gallons, should be about 90 deg. Sg should be 1.07 ish. Add the rest of the ingredients, except for yeast. Once it’s mixed up check ph. It should be 5.2+/-.1. Dry pitch yeast. In 24 hrs check ph and adjust up if below 4.0. At 48 hrs sg should be about 1.0. Let it clear and run it.

I would do a strip run in a pot still, then add a small amount of baking soda to the low wines. Maybe 1 tbsp to 10 gallons. If it all reacts, add more. Then run in a column still to be between 190.5 and 191 proof. Carbon filter if you like, but it should not be needed.
Formerly
Dsp-CO-20051