Fermentation and Airlock question

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Frosty36
Novice

Fermentation and Airlock question

Post by Frosty36 »

Hi all,
So i started a batch of apple brandy about a week and a half ago. Sunday will be 2 weeks completely. I'm using a simple bread yeast and taking gravity readings every couple of days. At first the airlock bubbled then pushed all the water to one side. I know this is considered normal, but my question is how do you know when its done if there is no activity in the airlock? I'm still learning all of this but I was told that once the gravity is holding steady for 2 days its ready? Any truth to this?
If i put my ear to the fermenting bucket I can hear it working ( sounds like pop- its going off).

Thanks in advance
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Fermentation and Airlock question

Post by Expat »

What you are hearing is bubbles breaking the surface. This may be a sign of activity or just CO2 dissolved in the wash coming out of solution.

Generally, if the airlock has stopped showing activity, and your gravity is down around 1.00 then it's done. If you taste the wash it should be tart not sweet.

If it's not zero, check the PH and temperature; they may give you a hint as to if/why the wash has stalled.

Finally, depending on ingredients, it may be that not all sugars in the wash are fermentable, so you won't get an FG of 1. My limited experience with apples suggests that they generally do ferment well leaving nothing behind, so probably not that.

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd

Post by Frosty36 »

Thanks for the response. The last reading was sitting right at 1.01 so I'm thinking she may be ready.

How soon after its complete does it need to be ran? Just asking bc work keeps me pretty busy.
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

Frosty36 wrote:Thanks for the response. The last reading was sitting right at 1.01 so I'm thinking she may be ready.

How soon after its complete does it need to be ran? Just asking bc work keeps me pretty busy.

That's pretty close to done but it can go below <1, example my last apple batch finished at 0.98.

Check the PH, I suspect it will be low (acidic) and mind the temperature, bakers yeast tends to like being around 85f.

That said, if it tastes tart I would just run it. Worth checking the details though for future runs.

Cross flow condenser

Post by Saltbush Bill »

If you can hear it fizzing its very unlikely that its finished. Stick a finger in it and have a taste ..is it sweet , sour or dry tasting ?.....you don't need fancy tools to tell when a ferment is finished imo.
Fermenter lids and airlock grommets are renown for leaking ...never rely on a air lock bubbling or not bubbling to tell you if something is fermenting or not. You eyes, ears and taste buds are far more accurate indicators..
Frosty36
Novice

Post by Frosty36 »

Expat wrote:
Frosty36 wrote:Thanks for the response. The last reading was sitting right at 1.01 so I'm thinking she may be ready.

That's pretty close to done but it can go below <1, example my last apple batch finished at 0.98.

Check the PH, I suspect it will be low (acidic) and mind the temperature, bakers yeast tends to like being around 85f.

That said, if it tastes tart I would just run it. Worth checking the details though for future runs.

Im new to the PH testing. The past batches I made, I went off of sound and gravity readings. What's a good PH strip to use?
Frosty36
Novice

Post by Frosty36 »

Saltbush Bill wrote:If you can hear it fizzing its very unlikely that its finished. Stick a finger in it and have a taste ..is it sweet , sour or dry tasting ?.....you don't need fancy tools to tell when a ferment is finished imo.
Fermenter lids and airlock grommets are renown for leaking ...never rely on a air lock bubbling or not bubbling to tell you if something is fermenting or not. You eyes, ears and taste buds are far more accurate indicators..

Good advice. I've not had any issues with leaks luckily. What should the taste be at the end of fermentation? Sour, dry, sweet? The last reading i took it tasted like a good wine.
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

Frosty36 wrote: Im new to the PH testing. The past batches I made, I went off of sound and gravity readings. What's a good PH strip to use?
Strips are not that accurate, but can be helpful as a guide rather than hard numbers. Any strips will do.

As noted though, use your sense of taste. I said "tart", Saltbush said "dry or sour" both descriptions of what wash tastes like when there is little sugar left.

Cross flow condenser

Post by Frosty36 »

Expat wrote:
Frosty36 wrote: Im new to the PH testing. The past batches I made, I went off of sound and gravity readings. What's a good PH strip to use?
Strips are not that accurate, but can be helpful as a guide rather than hard numbers. Any strips will do.

As noted though, use your sense of taste. I said "tart", Saltbush said "dry or sour" both descriptions of what wash tastes like when there is little sugar left.
Last time I tasted it, it reminded me of a dry wine so I think I'm getting close. Thanks again everyone, this site has made things easier.
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

There are several PH ranges of strips available at my local brew store. One is intended for beer makers and one is intended for wine makers. The strips intended for winemaking use are good for troubleshooting stuck ferments or just to monitor the end of your ferment. The range on the strips I use is 2.8 to 4.4, which covers your ferment crash range.

Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
Frosty36
Novice

Post by Frosty36 »

Last question. How soon after fermentation has ended should it be ran? Say if it finishes today but I can't run it for another day or 2..how serious is this problem?
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

Frosty36 wrote:Last question. How soon after fermentation has ended should it be ran? Say if it finishes today but I can't run it for another day or 2..how serious is this problem?
Depends on what you're fermenting. If it's clear run it, else let it settle or squeeze or whatever you need to do, then run it. No reason to let it sit.

As long as it's undisturbed, you can leave a finished ferment for awhile. Some of mine went months.

Cross flow condenser

Post by Frosty36 »

At most a day. This thread has eased alot of worries. This site is a gold mine. Thanks everyone