No Mash No sugar

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

MartinCash
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: No Mash No sugar

Post by MartinCash »

+1 SBB.

Also wheat or rice make vodka that I like better than barley vodka, as barley, in my opinion, has a strong flavour that needs more work to strip from the wash.
4'' SS modular CCVM on gas-fired 50L keg.
Teddysad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Teddysad »

I recommend not using barley for vodka unless A) You already have it, B) you can get it far cheaper than wheat or C) wheat for some reason is not available.
You can lead a horse to drink, but you cant make it water!
You can lead a horticulture but can you teach a prototype?

Proverbs 31:6-7
RockinRockies
Swill Maker

Post by RockinRockies »

Wheat eh?
Ok.
I have a sack of steamrolled barley so I figured I can make that work but I'll just get another sack of wheat and do a combo to use what I have and then I'll go with wheat since it sounds like that is Superior
rubberduck71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rubberduck71 »

Just a heads-up on this yeast with sugarhead: it works well!!! Just follow the protocols for any sugarhead. I added some DAP & the bag of oyster shells to an Irish whiskey AG batch (Golden Promise & unmalted barley).

Stripped & spirit ran 3x6 gal buckets & came away with 3.1L after tempering down to 55%. Added a Medium Plus oak spiral back on 6/27. Sampled some this past weekend, and da-yum does it taste good!!! Gonna be tough laying off sampling, but hey that's what sugarheads are for, right? Enjoying it young...

Duck
There are two times of year: FOOTBALL SEASON and... Waiting For Football Season
Teddysad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Teddysad »

experiments continue Angel Yellow label. Hot water at start then cooled before yeast added. This is 36 hours later

This is a different brand of yeast doing the same
You can lead a horse to drink, but you cant make it water!
You can lead a horticulture but can you teach a prototype?

Proverbs 31:6-7
Kindafrench
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Kindafrench »

Hey guys,

started a batch yesterday.
15 kg Weyermann rye malt 4-10 EBC (coarsely ground)
3 kg organic rye (didn't make it into bread)
1 kg organic flaked oats (didn't make it into my muesli)
50 liters of tap water heated up to almost boiling point

In the fermenter, there is one of these extra bottoms with tiny holes, forgot the name... I put an extra layer of ss micro filter on top of that, to prevent stuff from passing the extra bottom. So I filled the fermenter with hot water until the bottom was covered, added the flaked oats and the whole organic rye.
More water and ground rye malt, bit by bit, mixing it well all the time. At the end, the fermenter had about 65°C, I closed the lid, wrapped some insulating material around it and let it sit over night. This morning it had still 50°C and some funny white layer floating on top. The smell reminded me of some lacto infection, no idea what to do with that anyway, so I hydrated 80 g of angel yeast in 400 ml / 35°C ro water, mixed with a teaspoon of wheat flour. Added cold tap water to the fermenter to get it down to 35°C, pitched the hydrated angel yeast and aerated the hell out of it with a blender. Put the lid on the fermenter.
About three hours later, the thick rye soup had converted to a thin slurry, very nice bread smell and a rye husk cap on top. Blender action again.
Lid on. Three hours later, thick husk layer and bubble action all over the place. I think I'll keep an eye on it for the next hours to prevent the husk cap doing bad stuff and the whole fermenter splattering it's goodies all over the place. Temperature stays at 35°C. I know it's a bit high, but in limits. If heat is needed, I've got a heating blanket wrapped around the fermenter, controlled by a STE-1000, set to 32°C.

For now I'm happy and hoping the lacto or whatever formed throughout the last night is under control.
I'll keep you updated.
rubberduck71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rubberduck71 »

Update on my Irish Whiskey: it's very hard to keep sampling it. Wonderful flavor!!!

I just did sugarhead on SCD CROW bourbon (but with upped rye ratio) with yellow label Angel Yeast. Adding some DAP, gypsum, & adjusting pH above 4.0 and the dang thing fermented in just 4 days --> 1.060 to 0.990. Never had any wash go that fast before...

Stripping the AG this weekend, hope to do the spirit run next week and the sugarheads the week after.

This yeast is magical stuff...

Duck
Kindafrench
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Kindafrench »

Yes, it's like magic. Had to put some ice on top of the fermenter to keep the temperature down. Now it seems to slow down, but it's bubbling and swirling through and through. The husk cap has disappeared and left only some little floaters in the brown soup.
Smells delicious, though. There are fruity flavours, apples, pears, quite intense. The bread dough-mushroom smell from yesterday is completely gone.
Have to keep an eye on the temperature. It's gone up to 37°C over night and stays there, but I imagine it's fermenting so fast, the temperature might drop quick after that. Will do a ph strip test tomorrow.
Kindafrench
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Kindafrench »

Added a kilogram of fine ground homemade caramel rye malt yesterday.
Smells like a great beer today and it fizzes gently. PH is 4.5 ish.
Can't wait to run it :thumbup:
RockinRockies
Swill Maker

Post by RockinRockies »

So I've done three runs now with angels and every single one is awful, except for this peated barley and mesquite.
Dang if that flavor doesn't come through in a big way. Everything that I've read most of it says there's no flavor at high proof but good grief is a ton of flavor. It's actually really good.

Not sure what you guys are doing different or how you're being so successful but I'm not impressed on my bourbon mashes. Although the well water I used had sulfur in it we found out so maybe that had something to do with it.

I'll see what I collect off this 20 gallon run but it's holding steady at 178 proof. I'm new to refluxing so it took a while to stabilize but I can't hold more than 180 with three packed columns and a perf plate on a five plate column, 4 in. I'm not sure what happened on the Bourbon recipes but this Smokey Scotch style recipe seems to have accepted the Angels much better and doesn't have a slight vomit smell.

The bottom plate is a perf plate then we have the next plate open, and then we have bubble cap plate with no bubbles and four sections of packed scrubbers on top of that. I'll say this running reflux is so much more technical than a pot still. I was not prepared for that
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Search the forum for vomit. It has an easy fix.
RockinRockies
Swill Maker

Post by RockinRockies »

Ok. Thanks. Will do.

I want to mention how impressed I am with the flavor of this nomash.

Recipe:

40 lb steam rolled barley
10 lb same barley smoked with mesquite for 2 hours
12 lb peated malt

Used angels. Total volume after clearing, just over 20 gallons. OG unknown.

Compressed on column for 30 minutes. Steady collection at 87-89% after heads cut for 90oz
It drinks insanely smooth at that proof.. dangerously delicious and to me and my buddy, totally drinkable at that proof. I ran another proofing hydrometer to verify.

This stuff has a cereal grain nose and malt forward front palate with 100% mescal flavor. I'm talking if you put that next to a mezcal, I'm not sure I could tell the difference on the palate. I'm shocked. And this is fresh off the column! Just hours after collected!

So whatever I was doing with the angels I think had something to do with infection, or sulfur in the water on the bourbon batches. After running this I can say that the Angels yeast is unbelievable if used properly.

I've literally never made anything this good yet. The only crap part about it is how much effort it takes to smoke The barley. I'm now going to be building an 8x8 shed to make smoking The barley significantly less time consuming and we'll probably do a write-up.

I remained sober through the run, taking just enough taste samples on my tongue. Didn't even have one full drink through the run, so I know I'm not fooling myself.

I highly recommend this recipe! Maybe add pale malted barley to lighten the Irish whiskey upfront biscuit profile, but an incredible drop thanks to Angels yellow label.

It won't make it to oak
danwbrews
Novice

Post by danwbrews »

Try Amazon or EBay can't remember which I found it on.....
Metalking00
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Metalking00 »

I see most people seem to say that the angel yeast doesn't contribute much to the flavor. Has anyone tried using it in combo with another yeast to get a different flavor profile?
squigglefunk
Trainee

Post by squigglefunk »

JBs wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:35 am [utube][/utube]
is it supposed to be blue? looks like tails
Sarge410884
Novice

Yellow label angel yeast

Post by Sarge410884 »

I have completed the distillation using rice and ground corn with yellow label Angel yeast. I was skeptical at first as to how it would come out and I'm here to tell you it is fantastic, clean clear Tasty and I diluted it down to 86 proof. I think I will add some wood to it to see if it will become a flavorful whiskey.
Now that I have done that I want to make potato vodka with angel yeast. I am guessing around 25 pounds, I hope some of you folks ight have some ideas. This is the easiest ferment ever. Pleas share your ideas, thanks
Sarge
Oceanwave
Novice

Post by Oceanwave »

I can't say I have read though all the pages of this, but I did receive my Angel Yellow Label today. I am going to get an experimental batch going today. Nothing crazy, just fairly fine ground corn. I need to finish reading all the other posts. Hopefully, this goes well.
rubberduck71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rubberduck71 »

Oceanwave wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 2:12 pm I can't say I have read though all the pages of this, but I did receive my Angel Yellow Label today. I am going to get an experimental batch going today. Nothing crazy, just fairly fine ground corn. I need to finish reading all the other posts. Hopefully, this goes well.
I have a couple L of all corn on oak that is sniffing 6 months old. It's starting to develop nicely. Been sipping on the sugarhead on oak I made right behind it to help keep my paws off the all grain.

Next up is stripping runs made with rye pumpernickel meal. This stuff pushed the lids off my fermenters, so I had to pour out a portion of the 4 buckets into a 5th.

Let us know how yours turns out,
Duck
Oceanwave
Novice

Post by Oceanwave »

So far, so good. It nicely thinned out the corn which had done its usual forming into an almost solid goo almost immediately after adding it. A couple of day mixing it with my stainless paint mixer on a drill every 12 hours or so and it no longer formed a solid cap. It has been bubbling along steadily since then. I figure I will check it after 15 days and see how it is going. If it is ready, I will strain it out and move it to a carboy to let things settle out, then run it. If it works, I will make a bigger batch in a 30 gallon food grade barrel I have.
SGB
Swill Maker

Post by SGB »

Oceanwave wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 5:43 pm So far, so good. It nicely thinned out the corn which had done its usual forming into an almost solid goo almost immediately after adding it. A couple of day mixing it with my stainless paint mixer on a drill every 12 hours or so and it no longer formed a solid cap. It has been bubbling along steadily since then. I figure I will check it after 15 days and see how it is going. If it is ready, I will strain it out and move it to a carboy to let things settle out, then run it. If it works, I will make a bigger batch in a 30 gallon food grade barrel I have.
What did you get? Up date?
Oceanwave
Novice

Post by Oceanwave »

Hopefully, I will be running it this coming weekend.
JimBob88
Novice

Post by JimBob88 »

My two packs of yellow label showed up 2 weeks ago and I had to give it a go! Threw down 8kg of white rice run twice through my grain mill and it was chugging away the next day. Mixed everything up every 12 hours for the first 3 days and now just letting it complete as far as it will go before straining and settling. Hoping it goes well!

Has anyone tried big ferments for whiskey with this? I either want to do a “bourbon” style 3 grain mix or a single grain “scotch” style. Also going to do a wheat vodka. Both will be in my 200L barrel so hoping it all goes good!
bluc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bluc »

Metalking00 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:17 am I see most people seem to say that the angel yeast doesn't contribute much to the flavor. Has anyone tried using it in combo with another yeast to get a different flavor profile?
I tried it along side safspirit american whiskey yeast. Didnt really notice a difference..
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Metalking00 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:17 am I see most people seem to say that the angel yeast doesn't contribute much to the flavor. Has anyone tried using it in combo with another yeast to get a different flavor profile?
What yeast exactly are they comparing it too.......flavour seems fine to me.
SGB
Swill Maker

Post by SGB »

Oceanwave wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:24 am Hopefully, I will be running it this coming weekend.
Well this is more than enough evidence for me. All along I had thought this yeast was only for rice wines and spirits. Most grains here are fairly expensive other than corn and rice. I've done some beers with malted grains and malted red rice that were pretty good but not with angel yeast . I just don't want anymore Baiju soju rice tasting spirits.
Oceanwave
Novice

Post by Oceanwave »

-18 here today. I guess I won't be running.
Dancing4dan
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dancing4dan »

I’m giving this a try.

25 lb flaked corn
10 gallons hot tap water 140*F ish
BIAB
Soak/ hydrate until temp was 95*F
Pitched 65 grams yellow label.

It is bubbling :thumbup:
"What harms us is to persist in self deceit and ignorance"
Marcus Aurelius
I’m not an alcoholic! I’m a drunk. Alcoholics go to meetings!
Dancing4dan
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dancing4dan »

Pretty surprising how this is chewing through that corn. Not much solid left in the BIAB already
Marcus Aurelius
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Dancing4dan wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:52 pm Pretty surprising how this is chewing through that corn
it seems to do exactly that to grains, whats left is fiber and husk it seems to me.
Dancing4dan
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dancing4dan »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:56 pm
Dancing4dan wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:52 pm Pretty surprising how this is chewing through that corn
it seems to do exactly that to grains, whats left is fiber and husk it seems to me.
I'm only on my first ferment with Yellow label, but this stuff is looking like a game changer...

Great looking ferment. Smells awesome! The BIAB is practically empty of corn.

I started my AG distillation adventure with corn. Learning curve has been very steep! To say the least. This is chewing though corn like WTF!

I used flaked corn this time but am very interested in doing some cracked corn now... again. If this can beat through cracked corn even a little better than what I was getting with enzymes, malted barley and mashing ....

I guess the truth will be in the distillation, but this ferment is looking like nothing I have seen even with using enzymes and malted grains!

So far all of my effort / work has been add hot water and watching!
Marcus Aurelius