Fermentation Log

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Single Malt Yinzer
Trainee

Fermentation Log

Post by Single Malt Yinzer »

Let me know what you think. I'm open to any changes.

{File deleted, see update below}
Last edited by Single Malt Yinzer on Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Fermentation Log

Post by 8Ball »

Ambient temperature data would work for me. I mash, ferment, and distill outdoors. Heck, I consult wind speed forecasts too. Good log sheet.

🎱
🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

Mashing section:

1) For mashing, you list the steps separate from the mash bill. Would you want to tie the specific items on the bill to specific steps? Example, step one may only use corn, then on step 2 you add the barley.

You could just draw lines to connect the rows from bill to step.

You could also number each row of the bill, then enter the appropriate bill row numbers in a new column on the step row.

2) I find the multiple temps a bit confusing. I’m sure if I know your process, sequence of events within each step, for mashing it would be more clear.

Example: Step 1 add 10 gallons of 210F water to bill row #1 (20 pounds of corn), start temp is 190F, end temp after 2 hours is 180F. (What would your “rest temp” column be? Seems redundant, or maybe that is your target?)
Step 2 add 5 gallons of 110F water and bill row #2 (6 pounds of malted barley), start temp 150F, end temp after 3 hours is 140.

Question:
Do you list your nutrients, buffers in the ingredients section or as notes in the ferment section?
Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
cayars
Distiller

Post by cayars »

I'm a bit confused how you would log the mashing section as well.

Got one that is filled out you could share? Might make more sense looking at one filled out.
Programmer specializing in process control for ExxonMobil (ethanol refinery control), WT, Omron, Bosch, Honeywell & Boeing.
More than a decade working for NASA & FAA Tech with computer code used on Space Shuttles and some airline flight recorders.
Single Malt Yinzer
Trainee

Post by Single Malt Yinzer »

Fermentation Log.pdf
(12.48 KiB) Downloaded 183 times
Updated.
OtisT wrote: Question: Do you list your nutrients, buffers in the ingredients section or as notes in the ferment section?
In the notes below though I guess you could do either one.

I changed the multiple temps thing.

I added a notes area to the mashing section so you can put what you're adding in.
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

Another thought on the fermentation log. In addition to recording the day/time I also like to record delta time in hours for convenience. I like to know how many hours into the ferment I am on quick ferments.

Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels