PLEASE HELP! Fermenting issues

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Self_taught_shiner1
Novice

PLEASE HELP! Fermenting issues

Post by Self_taught_shiner1 »

So I started a batch of a 5 gallon banana shine. Heating my mash went great. However, while using my wort chiller to cool my mash to 90 degrees, my thermometer quit working and didn't have a backup on hand. I'm pretty sure that when I added yeast, my mash was too cold (I'm thinking probably around 50 60 degrees F). If the yeast doesn't activate in my mash, can I reheat mash to 90 degrees Fahrenheit, stir and restart the fermentation process? The yeast i used it the Alcotech 48 turbo yeast. Thanks for any help. I greatly appreciate it
Bigvalveturbo
Novice

Re: PLEASE HELP! Fermenting issues

Post by Bigvalveturbo »

I have successfully done this with dady. However I heated
slowly with my ferment heater , i wouldn't put it back in the boiler.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

A good start would be to ditch the Turdbo yeast, its by far the least popular of yeasts to use for making proper spirits. There are much better things you can use.
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

The advise provided by BVT is what should be done..

But.. have stated that, junk the turbo stuff, and work from a proven recipe such as Wineo's or Shady's from the True and Tried section..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Agree on one thing Mars......SSS is a great wash gets a +++ from me
Self_taught_shiner1
Novice

I appreciate the help everyone. Why does the turbo yeast have such a bad name? It did a great job on a batch I ran two days ago. My mash was finished fermenting in 4 days and my first half gallon was 170 proof.
bluefish_dist
Distiller

Post by bluefish_dist »

Turbo yeast gets a bad name because it usually has too much other stuff than yeast. This makes it finish quickly, but stresses the yeast giving off flavors than can’t easily be removed. Bread yeast is cheap and works well. Just a few $$/lb.
Formerly
Dsp-CO-20051
Fiddleford
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Fiddleford »

You don't really want potency in a wash first off, you don't get a lot of flavors off it and there is a heap of off-flavors that get produced as a result when using turbo. I suggest you take some time in the New to Distillation section and do some reading viewforum.php?f=26, a lot of the same questions you might ask will all be in there you just need to take the time to read.
Rye whisky rye whisky oh dont let me down
Gunna have me a drink then gambol around
Here's some fiddle music
Pt1
Pt2
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Yeah.. your turbo may seem OK to you at this time.. save some for sampling at a later date, once you have learn the different between a turbo and a good sugar wash, as pointed out..

SB.. we can agree and disagree on lots of things.. it just come down to a method and process, and how mindful and comfortable we at what we do.. it's just the human animal at work.. as long as one enjoy what it is he's doing, that all that counts...

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
Self_taught_shiner1
Novice

I appreciate the info. Still a lot of learning to do. I have only distilled one batch using turbo yeast. I've done all previous batches using DADY and couldn't tell the difference. But with that being said I didn't have DADY and turbo samples side by side to compare tastes. Still pretty new to this and am eager to hear and learn everyone else's techniques and opinions. Willing to try it all. Thanks for all the help! I'll be reading the New to distilling pages in full!
Self_taught_shiner1
Novice

Also, when I woke up this morning, my airlock was bubbling around twice in each 10 second increments. I'd say I'm good to go!
TDick
Distiller

Post by TDick »

Self_taught_shiner1 wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:15 am I appreciate the help everyone. Why does the turbo yeast have such a bad name?
It did a great job on a batch I ran two days ago. My mash was finished fermenting in 4 days and my first half gallon was 170 proof.
Glad you got it percolatin'.

A two year novice here.
I have discovered there are as many differing opinions as there are members. And that is over 27,000 & apparently growing fast.
With all those differing opinions, I can tell you about 99% recommend throwing away Turbo Yeast; and they all feel pretty strong about it.
The only people I know that like it are George & the other folks that sell it.
Good luck, stay safe!
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Self_taught_shiner1 wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:05 am Still pretty new to this and am eager to hear and learn everyone else's techniques and opinions.
That will not come from us telling you what to do.. it will come from researching and experiencing, putting in practice or doing, what the research indicates what should be done.. spoonfeeding you will not help you in developing what you need to learn..

You stated that you still don't see the different between turbo and a good sugar wash.. still lots to learn in the fermentation process, and distilling what you have produced..

Mars

– Albert Einstein
Self_taught_shiner1
Novice

Yeah Stiller boy I still got a lot of learning to do. I'm sure if I had a jar of shine with DADY yeast and a jar with turbo, I'd be able to tell the difference (especially if the taste and quality is as different as most say it is) but unfortunately I don't. I just can't tell a difference by going off of pure memory of what my DADY shine tasted like last year. I like to hear everyone's opinions, trials and errors and try different things and hopefully learn a lot along the way. I'm constantly researching, reading, and watching videos, so I can be a better shiner. If I ain't learning along the way or everyday for that matter, I might as well give up now, but that won't happen. Thanks for the input
Corsaire
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Corsaire »

Good mindset! Reading is important, but it will only get you so far. You need to do runs to see what it tastes like.
I can only recommend running a lot of different products. Taste them side by side, see what you prefer.
I've never tried turbo since I get good results using baker's and beer yeasts.
I've never tried banana brandy either, but saw a video on youtube a good while ago. Can't say it looked very appealing to me, but I don't like bananas.

In the end, you only have to please your own palate.
SGB
Swill Maker

Post by SGB »

I don't mean to rob this thread but, I have a couple fermentation questions (please don't kill me for asking I have looked for answers) I'm doing the UJSSM and it's been going for about 6days now and right now it's just throwing a bubble every once in awhile. So the process is to wait until no more bubbles . yes. Second ,if a sugar wash ph is low or crashes does that mean it just takes longer? In other words, are slow ferments OK or will the wash, or mash go bad if you long the process.
BTW, I did a banana ,Palm sugar mash and used sugar tolerant bread yeast and it came out just fine with nice banana flavor
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Leave it until there is no more bubbling.....a slower UJSM ferment isnt the end of the earth....it will still be fine.
Once finished bubbling taste it.....should be tart / sour.....no sweetness left at all.
SGB
Swill Maker

Post by SGB »

Thanks!!
SGB
Swill Maker

Post by SGB »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:31 am Leave it until there is no more bubbling.....a slower UJSM ferment isnt the end of the earth....it will still be fine.
Once finished bubbling taste it.....should be tart / sour.....no sweetness left at all.
Thanks again! Did what you said, let it go an extra day, this morning a couple bubbles ,by afternoon no more, tasted like you said, tart sour, running it right now.
Absolute thing of beauty
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Your Welcome :thumbup: