boiling chips ?

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

allen42
Bootlegger

boiling chips ?

Post by allen42 »

what do yall use for boiling chips? Marbles ? how many ?

Thanks
Allen
Grayson_Stewart
retired

Post by Grayson_Stewart »

most folks use a handfull of copper fittings, but be forwarned it will cause a noise with everything bouncing around in there....do it out of the neighbors earshot.
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
allen42
Bootlegger

Post by allen42 »

ok copper it will be ! , only neighbor i got is cows hehehhe they dont care !!!
Thanks Greyson !

Allen
Yttrium
Swill Maker

Post by Yttrium »

I use marbles, but I've found that the marbles work a lot better when you take a hammer to them and split the marble in two. The jagged edges of the split marbles really help even out the boiling.
The future is not set. There is no fate but what we make for ourselves. --John Conner
LeftLaneCruiser
Swill Maker

Post by LeftLaneCruiser »

I have a surplus of SS scrubbers, they were on sale and i bought more than my column needs :lol:

So i put a few spare one in my boiler to break the boil.

KJH
Fourway
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Fourway »

busted up terra cotta flower pot
"a woman who drives you to drink is hard to find, most of them will make you drive yourself."
anon--
MyDBear
Swill Maker

Post by MyDBear »

The copper left over from yer build, cut theese into 1/2" to 1" pieces and throw them into yer boiler
Be Patient God aint finished with me yet
knuklehead
Rumrunner

Post by knuklehead »

theholymackerel wrote:I use a handfull of old copper pennies (old enough to actually be copper).
Nice addition in brackets there THM, didn't want to go through cutting up and fileing down any more of your boiling pennies hey :lol:
... I say God bless you, I don't say bless you ... I am not the Lord, I can't do that ...
Dane Cook
allen42
Bootlegger

Post by allen42 »

LOTS AND LOTS OF Great Ideas yall !!

Thanks a bunch !!

Allen
murphy666
Novice

Re: boiling chips ?

Post by murphy666 »

Break up something ceramic or porcelain that doen's have a lot of glaze on it. Raw ceramic surface is porous and the points make great bubble. I bust mine up really small since I have a glass still. Marble in glass scare me, as they have the potential to break glass if dropped too far etc. Plus ceramic is cheap and easy to find, so after one or two uses I toss the old and make some more. Currently i use a fully fired Terracotta pot - like mentioned above.

Common safety sense says avoid older or cheaply made junk, as some old glazes had lead in them (uncommon since the 70s), and low backed ceramics , like found in some cheap figurines, decorative tile or some flower pots (its not as hard as fully fired stuff). The best is find something designed for food. My best find was an unused garlic roaster from Goodwill for 99 cents. Backed ceramic- no glaze - food grade. A tea cup, or old plate should work too (try to used pieces with less glaze on them). I believe bathroom tile should also work, but haven't tried it yet and am not 100% sure of the composition of the clay.... so this last one is just a guess.
blanikdog
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by blanikdog »

leftover copper bits.
Last edited by blanikdog on Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited for clarity
Simple potstiller. Slow, single run.
(50 litre, propane heated pot still. Coil in bucket condenser - No thermometer, No carbon)
The Reading Lounge AND the Rules We Live By should be compulsory reading

Cumudgeon and loving it.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Copper gonna be better for sulfer nose too
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.