Distillers/bread yeast in cold basement

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

BrewinBrian44
Rumrunner

Distillers/bread yeast in cold basement

Post by BrewinBrian44 »

Just curious if you guys have some insight.

I’ve been doing 25 gallon batches in my 50gal spike brew kettle. It has a 5500 watt heat element on the bottom for one vessel operation, fermenting on grain. So glad I saved up to do it this way!

Here’s the question: my basement is in the low 60’s this time of year so I’m concerned bread/distillers yeast will crap out if I can’t keep the temp up. I have two heating pads I usually tape to the side with an InkBird temp controller. Using US05 ale
Yeast, It’ll maintain 70 deg ferments no prob with a fleece blanket wrapped around it, but not enough to maintain 85 degrees. Could I pitch yeast at a high temp like 95 degrees and wrap more blankets around the vessel to hold temp long enough to finish a quick ferment? Any of you guys do this?

My SG’s are usually around 1.060 for my whiskeys and I insure a ph crash won’t happen by adding a measured about of calcium carbonate “chalk.”
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Distillers/bread yeast in cold basement

Post by Deplorable »

Why can't you just use the US-05?
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
BrewinBrian44
Rumrunner

Post by BrewinBrian44 »

I can totally keep using US05, but I’m curious about flavor differences with bread/distillers yeast. Quicker ferments would be a nice plus too!

Another reason is simply cost of the yeast. If the cheaper stuff tastes great it could be a win/win
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

Basement in the 60s, check
Bread yeast, check.

It's no problem just add the insulation as mentioned. Plenty of heat being generated by the ferment.

Pitched HBB this morning, working hard enough the cap pushed the lid off despite ample head room.
PXL_20210302_015206474_copy_800x567.jpg

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd

Post by BrewinBrian44 »

Expat,

Wow looks like a sticky mess! Glad to know this works well for you. I’m also making lots of HBB to fill a 5gal Gibbs barrel.

What temp do you usually pitch at?
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

BrewinBrian44 wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:03 pm Expat,

Wow looks like a sticky mess! Glad to know this works well for you. I’m also making lots of HBB to fill a 5gal Gibbs barrel.

What temp do you usually pitch at?
Yeah, little puddle of condensation on tile floor. Nothing too serious thankfully. The other barrel had no issue with the same inputs, go figure.

Pitch temp was 95f. To my mind it gives some room to drop before the yeast fired up. HBB always ferments good and strong for me. This and it's brother will get me close to filling my 6g once filled bourbon barrel.

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd

Post by NZChris »

All ferments make heat. All you have to do is stop too much heat escaping before the ferment finishes. If you can't do that, you have to provide heat to make up for what you lost because you didn't use enough insulation.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Expat wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:57 pm Basement in the 60s, check
Bread yeast, check.

It's no problem just add the insulation as mentioned. Plenty of heat being generated by the ferment.

Pitched HBB this morning, working hard enough the cap pushed the lid off despite ample head room.
PXL_20210302_015206474_copy_800x567.jpg
:wtf: :clap:
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

NZChris wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:35 pm All ferments make heat. All you have to do is stop too much heat escaping before the ferment finishes. If you can't do that, you have to provide heat to make up for what you lost because you didn't use enough insulation.
So true . Start it off hot . First day it will hold its own , then wrap it up well and it should generate enough heat to keep its self warm enough to finish
BrewinBrian44
Rumrunner

Post by BrewinBrian44 »

Glad to know this will work! Really curious about the flavor differences. I’ll have to give it a try with my next batch.

Thank you everyone!