fermentation garbage can plexiglass top?

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

TommyinaJar
Novice

fermentation garbage can plexiglass top?

Post by TommyinaJar »

I was trying to fit an airlock to the top of my brute can and then make it air tight, and destroyed it drilling. I don't think it was ever going to be air tight anyhow.

What are my options now? Has anyone simply cut a piece of plexiglass and bungee it tight by the handles?
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: fermentation garbage can plexiglass top?

Post by Expat »

TommyinaJar wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:19 pm I was trying to fit an airlock to the top of my brute can and then make it air tight, and destroyed it drilling. I don't think it was ever going to be air tight anyhow.

What are my options now? Has anyone simply cut a piece of plexiglass and bungee it tight by the handles?
There doesn't need to be a seal on the fermenter, the CO2 will form a layer on top. Loose fitting lids work well.

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd

Post by River Rat »

I think it would be tough to make that air tight. Possible, sure. With some sort of gasket. Would it be worth the trouble?
Don't get me wrong, I like air locks. But a loose fitting lid works just fine too.
Plain ole pot rig.
SmokyMtn
Rumrunner

Post by SmokyMtn »

My personal choice is wood that doesn't contain any glue. You really don't need to be airtight, and I don't even own an airlock.
My 9" Shotgun Condenser

This hobby really is not so much about making alcohol. But bottling opportunities to make memories with Friends and Family.
Chauncey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Chauncey »

I have had months uj in brutes w the regular lid that have sat in my subtropical swampy ass shed and been fine. Even though one caught a crazy infection and im letting it sit. But thats 1 of five in like ten gens of ferment.
<no stopping to corner anytime [] no parking passenger zone>

When people tell me I'll regret that in the morning, I sleep till noon.
kmmuellr
Novice

Post by kmmuellr »

I ferment in kegs w/ the tops cut out. One has a plexiglass disc sitting on top. Definitely not sealed, just sitting on it. Cool to be able to look in and watch the ferment!

K
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

As mentioned not needed but the plexiglass top idea I like as it lets you observe without disturbing the fermentation.
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

I've been using plexiglass top discs on four my formentors for the past 7 yrs.. best cover for my usage of the barrels..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
TommyinaJar
Novice

Post by TommyinaJar »

StillerBoy wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:44 am I've been using plexiglass top discs on four my formentors for the past 7 yrs.. best cover for my usage of the barrels..

Mars
Yes I've been using it with the lid bungeed down, I know most of the time that's perfectly fine. I was just looking to actually use an airtight setup once, so I can use the airlocks I bought:)

I wanted to see if the fermentation is really over or slowed via the bubbles. I googled plexiglass top and found nadda,

Do you just set it on top and weigh it down or some gasket type on it? The brute appears to have a flat smooth surface.
Sailman
Swill Maker

Post by Sailman »

I use a keg with a clear lid.
IMG_20200626_115828.jpg
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Sailman wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:38 pm I use a keg with a clear lid.IMG_20200626_115828.jpg
That looks like Twisted Brick's same set up.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

TommyinaJar wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:31 pm Do you just set it on top and weigh it down or some gasket type on it? The brute appears to have a flat smooth surface.
I just let sit on top, no weigh or any other thing on it.. I use the 1/8" thickness one for making covers..

The best way to check if a ferment is finished is to use a hydormeter.. air locks are a piss poor indicator..

After you've done a few ferment under a process and method, you'll know when to check to see if it's finished..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
TommyinaJar
Novice

Post by TommyinaJar »

Oh yes I alway use hydrometer, almost as much as a refractometer. But I wanna use my airlocks damnit! :)
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

TommyinaJar wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:26 am Oh yes I alway use hydrometer, almost as much as a refractometer. But I wanna use my airlocks damnit! :)
Then use them on gallon jugs you're propagating yeast starters in.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.