Let's talk Koji,not only for sake and miso

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

brewmaster2014
Bootlegger

Let's talk Koji,not only for sake and miso

Post by brewmaster2014 »

Hello everyone, I lime to share with you my experience and knowledge of Koji.i don't know if anybody else here did it already,but I'd do hope some will find useful and benefit from it. Now to give you context, 4 months a go I started growing Koji mold to do my own miso,amazake and amino pastes,than not long after I thought,wait,if this mold has the ability to completely break down starch and turn it to sugar,like sweet amazake, than why not use it while distilling with unsalted grains!sure we can use amylase enzyme,with witch u actually didn't have much luck,Than we can use good old beano tablets,in my experience they work well,but Koji is something else it will not live starch not converted.this is what I did.100% corn mash,5 kg of coarse corn mill,cooked in large pot,than left it in this pot till it cooled to 67 C,added 2 kg of home grown Koji rice ,covered wit lid and left it,no chilling ,the great thing about Koji amylase is that it works anywhere from 30-70 C so ot has all night to convert the starch.the next day the mash was sweet ,so I adjusted the ph and pitched yeasts, at this point the Koji will continue the starch conversion,even after yeast is pitched.Sure its more work to grow the mold,but for me it was worth it.you can easily find plenty of resources online how to do it,if anybody need help,I will be more than happy to answer questions and lend advice. If anyone is interested below few useful links.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Koji-Kin-Starte ... 36c01c2e71
Kindafrench
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Let's talk Koji,not only for sake and miso

Post by Kindafrench »

Bought that book couple of weeks ago. It‘s a good read. I set up 25 L batch with 5 Kg rice, 50 g Angel yeast (yellow label) and it‘s running fine at 32 °C. There are a couple of threads here on HD about people using this yeast (and probably) koji mixture. Well, the smell of the fermenting stuff is a bit odd, it‘s the 3rd day of fermentation, but changes every day. Looking forward to get some rice wine smell.
boomstick
Novice

Post by boomstick »

Sounds i tersting. What is the final product you are aiming for here?
Kindafrench
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Kindafrench »

Rice wine / Sake first, then maybe rice vodka. Smells like wine since yesterday. Fermentation shall go on for one week.
https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtop ... it=no+mash
No mash, no sugar thread on HD.