Corn amylase and sugar

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Miket1104
Novice

Corn amylase and sugar

Post by Miket1104 »

So my question how much sugar to add in after you finish with corn amylase. Put corn bring to 190 for hour and half. Then amylase 155. But before yeast is put in does anyone add more sugar?
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Corn amylase and sugar

Post by still_stirrin »

Miket1104 wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:38 pm So my question how much sugar to add in after you finish with corn amylase. Put corn bring to 190 for hour and half. Then amylase 155. But before yeast is put in does anyone add more sugar?
Sugar is already converted, so no additional mashing is required. It doesn’t matter about temperature, other than sugar dissolves easier in water at elevated temperatures compared to cold tap water temperatures.

What are you making?

If you’re making a sugar wash with corn for flavor, then why even run the temperature to 190*F?

We typically heat the corn mash to 190*F for gelatinization, a process which makes the corn endosperm ready for saccarification enzymes to convert the starch to sugars. Is that what you did with your corn...turning it into a “corn pudding”?

If you’re mashing corn, then adding additional sugar to the mash would only dilute the corn flavors in your spirit, although it would boost the alcohol content. What are you wanting....corn flavor...or “getting drunk” liquor?

I think you’d be best served to head to the Tried and True Recipe forum and read through some of the recipes and discussions there. You’ll learn a lot about making what you may be trying to make. Otherwise, you’re just a “stumbling moonshiner”.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Miket1104
Novice

Post by Miket1104 »

No I am wanting to use all corn but I was reading that some people have added sugar to get up gravity after the corn. Not a sugar shine with a corn flavoring just converted corn sugar
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation

Post by still_stirrin »

Miket1104 wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:37 pm No I am wanting to use all corn but I was reading that some people have added sugar to get up gravity after the corn. Not a sugar shine with a corn flavoring just converted corn sugar
Then improve your corn mashing skills. Don’t add sugar...it reduces flavor in lieu of buzz.

Work on mash/brewhouse efficiency. That’s how it’s done.
ss
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation

Post by still_stirrin »

If you can only get a mash to OG=1.065, then OK. Strip it, and rerun it as a spirit run. You’ll have more flavor in your spirit.

If your brewhouse efficiency is only 60%, then up the corn to water ratio. But, it’s better to ferment at 1.065 than 1.090 OG’s . You’ll get better taste and you can let the still boost your %ABV, rather than the fermenter.
ss
6 Row Joe
Rumrunner

Post by 6 Row Joe »

still_stirrin wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:47 pm If you can only get a mash to OG=1.065, then OK. Strip it, and rerun it as a spirit run. You’ll have more flavor in your spirit.

You’ll get better taste and you can let the still boost your %ABV, rather than the fermenter.
ss
That's a great tip right there!
I don't drink alcohol, I drink distilled spirits.
Therefore I'm not a alcoholic, I'm spiritual.