Can I use 25% backset during mashing?

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

kyolic
Bootlegger

Can I use 25% backset during mashing?

Post by kyolic » Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:49 am

I made my first AG mash a couple of days ago. I mashed 10 kg flaked corn and 5 kg of malted barley in 45 liters of water and ended up with an OG of 1.065.

Now that I will have backset from this run, can I use 11.25 liters of backset + 33.75 liters of water (45 liters in total again), for the next mashing?

Will using some backset hurt the mashing process or anything?

Thanks in advance.

still_stirrin
Master Distiller
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Can I use 25% backset during mashing?

Post by still_stirrin » Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:15 am

Backset will be sour (acidic) because the acids from a ferment (naturally occurring during mashing and fermentation) will concentrate in the boiler as you remove the alcohol along with some of the water. So, adding it to your next mash will lower the pH. But, to some degree a mild acidic environment is good for the yeast and the sugar reduction process. Now, if you start too sour it can retard the process.

Using 25% of your mash water as backset seems high to me, especially since you’re using flaked corn instead of ground corn (grains). The grains would actually help buffer the acids in the mash so it might work. But with flakes, you may have a pH crash in the mash tun. I’d start with 10% backset and check the pH. Then decide if you can add more, or you should add water to reduce the acid content. Remember, the conversion process will produce acid naturally, so you don’t want to overshoot your target.

Does this help?
ss
Attention new distillers: Cranky's spoon feed info
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K

kyolic
Bootlegger

Post by kyolic » Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:25 am

still_stirrin wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:15 am
Backset will be sour (acidic) because the acids from a ferment (naturally occurring during mashing and fermentation) will concentrate in the boiler as you remove the alcohol along with some of the water. So, adding it to your next mash will lower the pH. But, to some degree a mild acidic environment is good for the yeast and the sugar reduction process. Now, if you start too sour it can retard the process.

Using 25% of your mash water as backset seems high to me, especially since you’re using flaked corn instead of ground corn (grains). The grains would actually help buffer the acids in the mash so it might work. But with flakes, you may have a pH crash in the mash tun. I’d start with 10% backset and check the pH. Then decide if you can add more, or you should add water to reduce the acid content. Remember, the conversion process will produce acid naturally, so you don’t want to overshoot your target.

Does this help?
ss
Thanks for the reply SS.

So the only concern here is the pH right? I can use as much backset I want, provided that the final mash water pH is not lower than 5.5?

Tabucowboy
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Tabucowboy » Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:00 am

UJSSM tells you to use 25% backset. So it would should be fine.

But SS is right, I would watch if PH goes to low.
But Jesse's recipe does not mention that, so I am not sure how low it can go.

Cowboy
CM Reflux Still -- Copper mesh 16" ,column 31" tall, dia. 2",temp at boiler,top of column, power - PAC w5500w Element
Pot Still -- Copper mesh 16",column, 23" tall dia. 2", temp at boiler, power - PAC w5500w Element

kyolic
Bootlegger

Post by kyolic » Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:24 am

Tabucowboy wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:00 am
UJSSM tells you to use 25% backset. So it would should be fine.

But SS is right, I would watch if PH goes to low.
But Jesse's recipe does not mention that, so I am not sure how low it can go.

Cowboy

We are talking about using the backset "during mashing" here. It is different from the regular usage.

8Ball
Trainee

Post by 8Ball » Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:25 am

still_stirrin wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:15 am
I’d start with 10% backset and check the pH. Then decide if you can add more, or you should add water to reduce the acid content.
+1

I’ve used 10% cold backset after cooking my unmodified grains with HTL to help cool down & lower ph before combining with the malts.
🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.

Butch27
Swill Maker

Post by Butch27 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:36 pm

kyolic wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:49 am
I made my first AG mash a couple of days ago. I mashed 10 kg flaked corn and 5 kg of malted barley in 45 liters of water and ended up with an OG of 1.065.

Now that I will have backset from this run, can I use 11.25 liters of backset + 33.75 liters of water (45 liters in total again), for the next mashing?

Will using some backset hurt the mashing process or anything?

Thanks in advance.
It's your mash, you can do what ever you want with it. Now the question should be "will it work?".

Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill » Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:46 pm

I agree with SS and 8ball.......10% would be a better starting point.