Making Wash with LME

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

SourMash56
Novice

Making Wash with LME

Post by SourMash56 »

I'm about to start a wash using Liquid Malt Extract and I'm wondering about clearing the wash after fermentation has finished. I usually do sugar only and clear the wash with Sparkolloid before letting it near my lovely Dragon Pot Still. Sparkolloid get a sugar wash crystal clear but I tried using it on an all grain ferment before and it didn't do too well.

Any advice or assistance to help me get it clear will be greatfully received as I'd hate to cock-up a good wash by not asking a question.

Thanks
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Re: Making Wash with LME

Post by StillerBoy »

The answer you're asking, as been answered zillion of time, the answer will be in the the threads that will come up went you research under the following..

Use the google search at the top of the page, and search " wash with LME"

Enjoy the learning

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
stillanoob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by stillanoob »

I'd ask: Why all the concern with a perfectly clear wash? Nothing I have ever put through my still has been perfectly clear except for apple cider. It all came out well. Just rack decently so you don't have a lot of crud and go.
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

SourMash56 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:12 am I'm about to start a wash using Liquid Malt Extract and I'm wondering about clearing the wash after fermentation has finished. I usually do sugar only and clear the wash with Sparkolloid before letting it near my lovely Dragon Pot Still. Sparkolloid get a sugar wash crystal clear but I tried using it on an all grain ferment before and it didn't do too well.

Any advice or assistance to help me get it clear will be greatfully received as I'd hate to cock-up a good wash by not asking a question.

Thanks
As was said above the search with Google here is really good.
My answer as someone who has done it before is no, I would not use anything at all other than time.
For myself I'd let it sit until there's a good thick layer at the bottom of the fermenter then siphon off all the liquid I could get.
Up to you if you want to siphon into another container and allow it to clear some more or just run it.
Personally I've come to the point that a little cloudiness doesn't phase me.
If your boiler is more than 3/4 full watch for puking, LME loves to puke out the still.
Again you can find lots of info about puking by using the google search function but cutting to the chase I use a little butter in the boil.
Have fun and stay safe.
Cranky's spoonfeeding:
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=52975

Time and Oak will sort it out.
Setsumi
Distiller

Post by Setsumi »

LME should get you a clear wash once the yeast has finished and settled. if you start on all grain get yourself a big clarifying tank. all post ferments get filtered and pressed to get most out that the grains will give. distil from there. fill the still with a syphon fom the clarifying tank.
My first flute
My press
My twins
My controller
My wife tells me I fell from heaven covered in white. Why did they let me fall?
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Let some time clear it a bit.
SourMash56
Novice

Post by SourMash56 »

Thanks for all the replies and advice. I was probably overthinking because I normally run sugarheads only. I have used a foam inhibitor to prevent puking in the past but I've not had the problem since I started carbon filtering my water for each wash. I guess I'll just have to see how this stuff works. My boiler is 50lt and I usually put 45lt in it but I think I'll be keeping it down to 30lt to see how it goes. Thanks for all the help.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Making Wash with LME
by SourMash56 » Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:12 am

I'm about to start a wash using Liquid Malt Extract and I'm wondering about clearing the wash after fermentation has finished
StillerBoy wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:56 am The answer you're asking, as been answered zillion of time

Mars

No that question hasn't been answered "zillion of time"

"
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

SourMash56 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:12 am I'm about to start a wash using Liquid Malt Extract and I'm wondering about clearing the wash after fermentation has finished. I usually do sugar only and clear the wash with Sparkolloid before letting it near my lovely Dragon Pot Still. Sparkolloid get a sugar wash crystal clear but I tried using it on an all grain ferment before and it didn't do too well.

Thanks
The wash mash will have an amber color to it it's ok just let it sit for a week before you run it so the yeast falls out of suspension that's what I do and I get clear strips and clear spirit runs
You have two ears and one mouth for a reason....
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

SourMash56 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:12 am I'm about to start a wash using Liquid Malt Extract and I'm wondering about clearing the wash after fermentation has finished. I usually do sugar only and clear the wash
My 2 cents :lol:
Since there's very little character in a sugar wash.
Clearing a sugar wash before distilling it.
Get's Ya better quality and more quantity after cut's
The peppery cardboard taste from the yeast carries over, especially in the tails.

Not saying it's necessary to clear a mash before distilling. I seldom do.
A buddy of mine makes whiskey with LME and and sometimes DME.
It takes less than a week to finish and the yeast to settle.
He lets the yeast settle, because he said the whiskey tastes better young.

Read up on sweet water
That's the whiskey flavored water that comes out after the alcohol has boiled off.
Most things you distill don't have anything of value down that low.
From the little I've seen, DME and LME whiskey runs are an exception. :wink:
SourMash56
Novice

Post by SourMash56 »

Thanks Durhommer and Shadylane. I'll have a look see what I can find on sweet water - new one on me but that's not difficult at this early stage for me :D
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

I just did a wheat lme and ran well into the sweet water it made for a flavorful drop its aging white right now until I barrel it
You have two ears and one mouth for a reason....