Scotch/Single malt fermenting

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

shine_
Novice

Scotch/Single malt fermenting

Post by shine_ »

I can't find clear answer how single malt whiskeys are processed prior to distilling. Most articles I read say "it's similar to beer", so I assume it's fermented off-grain ? I understand everyone could be doing something different, but there should be some general trend I guess.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Scotch/Single malt fermenting

Post by still_stirrin »

I would lauter a “single malt” whiskey simply because malted barley is relatively easy to lauter. The ferment would be relatively clean in flavor signature, so I would ferment it “like a beer”. I would believe that most brewers who would ferment on the grain do so out of simplicity, ie - simply because it is easier, not necessarily that it is better.

And I suppose that “old world” single malt whiskey producers would similarly brew the distiller’s beer like they would brew their beers simply because of the established processes. Beers pre-date distillation, so it seems logical of the historical progression. Now, my thoughts are purely speculative as I have not visited any of the European single malt whiskey distilleries.

YMMV.
ss

p.s. - I lauter all my ferments, including my bourbons (corn included). But I may be in the minority here on the website who does. I much prefer the delicacy of flavors I get with my process. It allows me to hone the grain flavors in my spirits.
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
shine_
Novice

Post by shine_ »

@ss
I'm in completely opposite camp - I like my drinks less clean, so I'm fermenting and stilling everything on grain. Even though it would be simpler to lauter on some occasion since I risk scorching. If I want it a bit cleaner, I go for triple distill coz I still like it better than off-grain double.
I'm currently cooking some pure barley malt spirit so I wanted to know what's wrong with these single malts (I heavily prefer good bourbon over single malt). Anyways I'm doing everything on grain, hopefully that will improve the drink.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

shine_ wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 6:59 am I'm in completely opposite camp - I like my drinks less clean, so I'm fermenting and stilling everything on grain. Even though it would be simpler to lauter on some occasion since I risk scorching.

If I want it a bit cleaner, I go for triple distill coz I still like it better than off-grain double.
Triple distilling will “rob you of flavor”.

When I refer to “clean”, I’m not saying it has less flavor. It will produce a flavor that is truer to the grain’s flavor, with less “other” flavors, which indeed would add complexity, but would possibly hide the barley malt’s flavor.

Bourbon whiskeys are blends of several different cereal grains, all which change the spirit’s flavor and aroma, both which affect your “perception of flavors”. Fermenting on-the-grain carries more of the husky, sometimes astringent, and sometimes “earthy” or “grassy” quality into the still. Sure, it will add “complexity” to the spirit. And perhaps your paradigm of a single malt would include these qualities. Some commercial distillers indeed ferment their whiskeys on-the-grain. Some even distill on-the-grain.

Lautering separates the sugars (many types, depending on how you mash) from the other organic materials which would color the flavor. A single malt ferment would have various types of sugar, including monosaccharide glucose, disaccharide maltose, trisaccharide maltotriose, and even possibly some higher sugars (maltodextrines). Again, congeners affect the flavors in the spirit. But the product would be “less complicated” by the husks and other organic materials.

Typically, a whiskey, beit a straight whiskey, a bourbon, a rye whiskey, or a single malt will be double distilled, or at least distilled to no higher purity than 75% or 80%ABV to retain as much of the grain flavors as possible. I would be surprised if commercial distillers would “triple distill” their whiskeys.
shine_ wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 6:59 am I'm currently cooking some pure barley malt spirit so I wanted to know what's wrong with these single malts (I heavily prefer good bourbon over single malt).

....Anyways I'm doing everything on grain, hopefully that will improve the drink.
Well, definitely it will change the spirit’s flavor and aroma. It will possibly even change the spirit’s “mouthfeel”. But whether, or not, it is “better” depends on what your paradigms are. Compare your product to a “top shelf” single malt and understand the differences, as I’m sure there will be differences. You may like it better, but others may have a different preference.

As long as you enjoy your product, then YOU WIN!
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K