max temp for fermentingcorn mash

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

putter5775
Novice

max temp for fermentingcorn mash

Post by putter5775 »

getting ready to kick this hobby off. Problem is, my shop temp will get over 100 degrees. Is this too hot for fermenting? lots of room, b ut lot of heat also...tks
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: max temp for fermentingcorn mash

Post by Expat »

You need to pick a yeast which is going to be heat tolerant, bread yeast should be pretty comfortable up to 100f. So long as the mash isn't insulated and night time temps are lower you might be okay.

You could also put a cooler coil in your fermenter.

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd

Post by StillerBoy »

putter5775 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 10:21 am Problem is, my shop temp will get over 100 degrees. Is this too hot for fermenting? lots of room, b ut lot of heat also
Fermenting at the 100*F will be decremental not only to the yeast, but also the ferment to finish dry and if it does will have off flavors..

Fermentation should never go over 90*F for bread yeast to avoid off flavor generated by high fermenting temps.. and base on the size of the ferment, should never be pitched higher than 95*F for batches below 6 - 7 gals, and 80*F for batches larger than 10 gals as considerable heat will be generated by the yeast..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Try this, fill your fermenter with water at the appropriate pitching temp for your chosen yeast. Now monitor the temp of the water over the course of several days. If the ambient temps in the shop raise the temp of the water beyond the suitable temperature range of your yeast, you will need to figure out how to rectify that, or find a cooler place to ferment.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
putter5775
Novice

Post by putter5775 »

Deplorable wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 1:34 pm Try this, fill your fermenter with water at the appropriate pitching temp for your chosen yeast. Now monitor the temp of the water over the course of several days. If the ambient temps in the shop raise the temp of the water beyond the suitable temperature range of your yeast, you will need to figure out how to rectify that, or find a cooler place to ferment.
yeah, I was gonna try trial and error, was just trying to cut down on the erroes, lol..but you learn from your mistakes also'
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

putter5775 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 7:41 pm
Deplorable wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 1:34 pm Try this, fill your fermenter with water at the appropriate pitching temp for your chosen yeast. Now monitor the temp of the water over the course of several days. If the ambient temps in the shop raise the temp of the water beyond the suitable temperature range of your yeast, you will need to figure out how to rectify that, or find a cooler place to ferment.
yeah, I was gonna try trial and error, was just trying to cut down on the erroes, lol..but you learn from your mistakes also'
It's easier, and cheaper to experiment with water to see what the ambient mean temperature in the shop is going to do to your fermenter, than it is to do it with a fermenter full of hard work.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Deplorable said, 'It's easier, and cheaper to experiment with water to see what the ambient mean temperature in the shop is going to do to your fermenter, than it is to do it with a fermenter full of hard work.'

A good guide, but the fermentation itself will (usually) raise the temperature too.

Geoff
The Baker
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

The Baker wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 8:29 pm Deplorable said, 'It's easier, and cheaper to experiment with water to see what the ambient mean temperature in the shop is going to do to your fermenter, than it is to do it with a fermenter full of hard work.'

A good guide, but the fermentation itself will (usually) raise the temperature too.

Geoff
Yes it will, as much as 10 degrees F in my experience. So if your yeast requires a 70 degree ferment, and you fill the fermenter with 70 degree water, and the ambient temps in the shop dont raise the temp of the fermenter over the course of three or four days, it'll likely be fine. You may be able to manage the initial raise in temperature by keeping a fan on the fermenter wrapped in a wet blanket.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

StillerBoy wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 11:02 am Fermentation should never go over 90*F for bread yeast to avoid off flavor generated by high fermenting temps.. and base on the size of the ferment, should never be pitched higher than 95*F for batches below 6 - 7 gals, and 80*F for batches larger than 10 gals as considerable heat will be generated by the yeast..

Mars
Bull shit
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Its best to avoid learning from your mistakes.

You have the opposite problem to what I usually have. If I was setting up in the tropics, I would use the same controllers, but use them to control a pump and a fan to provide evaporating cooling water for the sides of the fermenter.
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

That temperature is high anyway, it will still ferment but it's not optimal. My economic advice is to wrap your fermenter in wet rags, this will lower the temperature a few degrees, or immerse part of your fermenter in fresh water. Of course there are better methods but this will help you if you have no other options.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

I just ran across this. Seems some yeasts don't stress as much as others at higher temps. The FP-1 is inexpensive, too.

What yeast are you using for Bourbon?

https://ferm-solutions.net/product/fp-1-vodka/
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Control the temp and/or pick a yeast that's doesn't mind.
The heat tolerance of Yeast decreases as the ABV increases.
The yeast's tolerance to alcohol decreases as the temp rises.

If I was going to ferment in a 100*f shop.
A wort chiller with a trickle of cool water or use ventilation to limit the max shop temp, and draw in cool nighttime air.
My fermenter with a water jacket, using bakers yeast, 31* C = 87* F works very well for a wash or mash.
I'd recommend having less than 10% ABV and under 100* F
If you force yeast to live at a high temp while in lots of alcohol it's pissed, It will shit in your drink :wink:
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

shadylane wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 4:30 pm
The heat tolerance of Yeast decreases as the ABV increases.
The yeast's tolerance to alcohol decreases as the temp rises.
Sage advice. Gonna keep these words close.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

There's no need to keep these words close. :lol:
As in 90% of choices, moderation is usually the best option. :wink: