High Mash Yield lower effort

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Big River
Novice

High Mash Yield lower effort

Post by Big River »

I finally got me a 50 gal plastic drum and as soon as it was cleaned out I dropped 100 lbs of cracked corn in it with hot water. At 90 degrees I dropped half a pack of chinese gold yeast and let it run. I wanted some all grain on the first half of my high yield plan. After about 6 or 7 days I pulled 30 clear gals out and ran two batches real slow (I have a 15 gal pot with a 3 gal thumper).

As soon as I finished the 30 gal runs I put 15 gal of backset back in the barrel with 50 lbs of sugar, a pound of bread yeast and 15 gal of new water. Two weeks later I pull 30 clear gals to run as sour mash, then bought me a mop wringer and pulled the final 15 gals out with that.

I am really pleased with getting 75 gal of mash with a little effort of heating on the front side and wringing on the back. **Highly echo the recommendations here on getting a wringer**

My yield on the all grain was a little low, next time higher temp gelatanization with high temp enzyme. My yield on the all grain was 3.5 gal of 100 proof, and on my sour mash was around 8 gal of 100 proof. **Note - I think my heads were lower on all runs because I stirred the pot to around 168 degrees before I put the cap on - and I did not use DADY on the sour mash.

All in all this was a lot of fun and I got plenty of barter liquid. I will make some changes for the next run - but that's what makes this so fun.

Big River
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Re: High Mash Yield lower effort

Post by StillerBoy »

Big River wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 1:58 pm I finally got me a 50 gal plastic drum and as soon as it was cleaned out I dropped 100 lbs of cracked corn in it with hot water. At 90 degrees I dropped half a pack of chinese gold yeast and let it run.
The process you outline will not give much in return.. surprised it even fermented out with just using cracked corn..
Big River wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 1:58 pm My yield on the all grain was a little low, next time higher temp gelatanization with high temp enzyme.
Yeah I would say " a little low" is more like very little for the batch done.. If you want a higher yield, you'll need to mill the corn to cornmeal, and cook the corn at 180*f for 2 hrs with enzymes, otherwise you'll get very little for your efforts..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
bluc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bluc »

I get the same volume and much same process with the yellow angel yeast.
Stillerboy how much do you get traditional mashing and are you using steamer/thumper?
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

bluc wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 1:46 am Stillerboy how much do you get traditional mashing and are you using steamer/thumper?
I have no experience with the yellow angel yeast nor have I researched it, nor have I experience doing 50 gal mash..

But I do have experience with 10 - 15 gal AG using liquid enzymes, and milling the grains to a 40/60 flour/meal size, mashing the grains for a few hours.. the yield has always been consistence with the 2 lb/gal and 7 - 8% abv, and strip the regular way, then use a reflux column run in a hybrid mode for the finished product ..

I do know that using cracked corn (without milling it)and trying to mash as such will give very little sugar (and you'll getting is corn flavor), even when mash for a couple hrs.. tried a few experiment doing UJSM style.. still requires normal amount of sugar to bring the SG up..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein