Sugar head off frozen whiskey grains?

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Sugar head off frozen whiskey grains?

Post by Deplorable »

So last month I made a whiskey mash (75/13/12) and squeezed the grains and froze the 50# of grains knowing I didn't have the time to run the gumball head off of them for a good bit. Fast forward a month, and things have settled down enough I can get some sugar on this.
I didn't freeze the custard from the cleared beer when I racked it, so I'm sure there is likely a loss of some flavors there, and obviously I'm going to have to pitch a yeast on it.
How much flavor did I toss out with the custard?
Any tips from the folks who have done a sugarhead off frozen grains?
Is it as straight forward as I think it is? Just dump the grains in the fermenter with sugar, add hot water to thaw and dissolve, adjust to 1.070 SG and proceed like any other sugar wash?
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Re: Sugar head off frozen whiskey grains?

Post by NZChris »

Just do it. Chuck in some extra grain if you want flavor, don't if you want to make neutral through a reflux still. Some new live yeast would be advisable. It might lack flavor, but I doubt it will make something you can't use.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

NZChris wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 10:17 pm Just do it. Chuck in some extra grain if you want flavor, don't if you want to make neutral through a reflux still. Some new live yeast would be advisable. It might lack flavor, but I doubt it will make something you can't use.
For sure. So you think the flavor will be pretty lacking eh? Ive never made a sugar head from spent grains, but was figuring it would be a "light flavored" shine run through the pot still and cut for sipping white.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I make quite a lot of gin and other products, using lightly flavored spirit made from sugar heads made using trub, pomace, fruit pressings, whatever, from recent ferments.

Trub from any wash is loaded with nutrients and yeast and is ready to rock if you give it a feed.