lowering ph

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Magic
Novice

lowering ph

Post by Magic »

i been making boones all causal corn and its been being real good. i usually use back set to lower ph but don't have any at the moment. what else could i use to lower ph? and how long will back set last? does it need refrigerating? i have some that's about three weeks old but been in my hot shop with temps around 90 degrees.
bluefish_dist
Distiller

Re: lowering ph

Post by bluefish_dist »

Citric acid aka lemon juice works to lower ph. Citric acid is readily available. Should be at brew shops and maybe places that carry canning supplies.
Formerly
Dsp-CO-20051
Magic
Novice

Post by Magic »

bluefish_dist wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:18 pm Citric acid aka lemon juice works to lower ph. Citric acid is readily available. Should be at brew shops and maybe places that carry canning supplies.
thanks we keep lemon juice around ill try it
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

I found citric acid crystals in the canning supplies aisle at my local grocery store. You can sprinkle it into a wash a teaspoon at a time. It’s not expensive and will store on the shelf for a long time. Oh, and while you’re there, grab a bag of pickling lime too, in case you have a crashing pH.

As to backset, I “can” it hot out of the boiler when I’ve finished a stripping run (the bottom drain is a “must have” on your boiler). I collect in pint mason jars and put the lid on hot. When it cools, it will vacuum seal. So it should last a long time in your “root cellar” with all your other canned foods, jams, and jellies.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Here's my drunken thoughts :lol:

Since Booner's recipe only uses backset for the gluco half of mashing.
Without backset, the flavor may be a little different but conversion will be just as good.
The reason is, within a couple hours after fermentation starts.
The pH will naturally drop to what gluco needs. :wink:

Fermentation temp is a little low for the gluco to go fast.
But the gluco gets to nibble away and make more glucose available as the ferment progresses.
Last edited by shadylane on Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chucker
Swill Maker

Post by Chucker »

I’m not suggesting that anybody do so but I’m curious if anyone has ever used something like a can of regular old cola to increase acidity? They all taste sweet from all of the sugar in them but I don’t know of any sodas that aren’t pretty darn acidic in nature. Just wondering if anyone has ever tossed a can of Coke into their mash?
But for real, if I don’t have backset I usually just add a cup of white vinegar as I’m heating up my strike water. Helps keep the deposits off of the element and kettle, too.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Chucker wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:37 pm I’m not suggesting that anybody do so but I’m curious if anyone has ever used something like a can of regular old cola to increase acidity? They all taste sweet from all of the sugar in them but I don’t know of any sodas that aren’t pretty darn acidic in nature. Just wondering if anyone has ever tossed a can of Coke into their mash?
But for real, if I don’t have backset I usually just add a cup of white vinegar as I’m heating up my strike water. Helps keep the deposits off of the element and kettle, too.
Using vinegar will increase the amount of ethyl acetate in your finished wash, which will probably cause you to take a larger heads cut.
Chucker
Swill Maker

Post by Chucker »

I haven’t really noticed an issue with it but that’s a good point and I thank you for noting it. I’ll try some citric and see what happens.
Still wonder about just adding a coke, though.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Adding a coke will add unfermented sugar.
Which I suppose the wash will then ferment.

Geoff
The Baker
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Soda has preservatives (sodium benzoate). It might slow your yeast activity. Don’t think I’d consider adding it to a ferment personally.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
rubberduck71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rubberduck71 »

If you have access to it, Restaurant Store has cheap citric acid in bulk:

https://www.therestaurantstore.com/items/558607

https://www.therestaurantstore.com/items/558638
There are two times of year: FOOTBALL SEASON and... Waiting For Football Season
Chucker
Swill Maker

Post by Chucker »

still_stirrin wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:04 am Soda has preservatives (sodium benzoate). It might slow your yeast activity. Don’t think I’d consider adding it to a ferment personally.
ss
Great point!