Ph readings

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

JOBRLA
Novice

Ph readings

Post by JOBRLA »

I have made several mashes utilizing sugar, corns, wheat, barley and so on but have never understood the the who Ph thing.
I know, this sounds like a beginners question, and in some ways it is because I'm just beginning using my new digital Ph meter.
From what I have read, they are mostly utilized at the end of a fermentation cycle. I have also heard/read it is important to first
know you Ph of the water you will be using. Others say they don't pay to much attention to it.
I want to start using this tool to better developed a product.

My next batch will consist of....

10# flaked corn
2# cracked barley wheat
2# cracked wheat malt
7gl spring water

With that, should my Ph be around 4.5 - 5.0 after fermenting
Like I said, new to the Ph realm :crazy:
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Ph readings

Post by still_stirrin »

Water chemistry for brewing is a complex topic, which is why entire books have been written about water and brewing. Unfortunately, many of these books assume you have a good knowledge of chemistry, along with microbiology and brewing.

Assuming you have access to a “reasonably good” water source, you should not have to do much to your water to use it to brew beer. Most municipal water in the United States can be used right out of the tap with no adjustment. If, however, you have a well or other source with particularly hard or soft water, then you can purchase bottled water from your grocery store and use that instead.

Interestingly, extract brewers can use distilled water for their brewing because all the minerals needed for brewing are already in the malt extract. When the maltster created your malt extract he/she mashed grains and then concentrated the wort down by removing the water, which means the ideal set of ions for brewing are already in the concentrated malt.

If you are an all-grain brewer with a “good” water source, the most important thing to worry about is mash pH. The proper mash pH has a number of positive effects on your beer—improving both the flavor and stability of the finished beer. Mash pH is simply the pH of the mixture of water and grains in the mash tun. You can best find it by measuring it with a pH meter or pH test strips. Ideally, you want a mash pH of 5.2–5.6 when you mix the water and grains.

You might recall from high school chemistry class that pure distilled water has a pH of 7.0, but most municipal water sources have a higher (slightly alkaline) pH above 7.0, due to minerals they pick up from ground and surface sources.

Grains, in contrast, are acidic, meaning they will lower the pH of the water/grain mixture. Dark roast malts are very acidic and will have the largest effect, while pale malts are only slightly acidic.

So when we mix our slightly alkaline water with our acidic grains, we get a pH that is often in the range of 5.0–7.0. That will depend on how alkaline the water was to start with, how much acid the water itself can absorb (which is measured by the water’s residual alkalinity), and how much dark vs. light malt we use.

Since we want to get the mash pH down to 5.2–5.6, we often need to use additional acid to drive it down further. This is particularly true for light beers, which don’t have enough acidic dark malts to reach the desired range. For a homebrewer, this means adding small amounts of lactic acid, phosphoric acid, or acidulated malt to the mash until you get the pH down to the range you need. Lactic acid is probably the most easily found in an average homebrew store.

So to summarize: start with a good “drinkable” water source and start your mash. Use a pH meter or high-quality pH strips to measure the actual pH of your mash. Finally, if needed, add small amounts (typically only a few ounces/milliliters total) of lactic acid to bring the mash down to the 5.2–5.6 range and then continue brewing your beer.

Just a start….you need to do some research for more. http://howtobrew.com/book/section-3/und ... nd-mash-ph
ss

p.s. - Note that acids are produced during the fermentation process. So, the tendency will be for the pH to fall during fermentation. But grains will buffer the acid production much more than a sugar wash. Therefore, a “pH crash” is more common in a sugar wash than an all grain recipe. Also, some wine yeasts will produce more acid than a beer or baker’s yeast. It all works together in a sense, so you need to read up to understand the (potential) behavior.
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

If we talk about water homebrewing the topic is very vast ... if we talk about pH mash what interests is the size of the pH of water + grains not of water. The other pH that interests us is pH of fermentation, especially to create a favorable yeast environment.
howie
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by howie »

i was only reading yesterday how much some beer brewers tinker with the chemical makeup of their water.
it's necessary to create the certain styles and it was pointed out that it's not just chance that certain beers are associated with certain countries/regions, as what they brew suits their local waters chemical makeup.
ie pilsen/pilsner, dublin/guinness etc etc
i just filter my tap water and check the PH before pitching so far. :roll:

and yes SS, i was reading that link the other day as well.
fascinating stuff.
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

howie wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:34 pm i was only reading yesterday how much some beer brewers tinker with the chemical makeup of their water.
it's necessary to create the certain styles and it was pointed out that it's not just chance that certain beers are associated with certain countries/regions, as what they brew suits their local waters chemical makeup.
ie pilsen/pilsner, dublin/guinness etc etc
i just filter my tap water and check the PH before pitching so far. :roll:

and yes SS, i was reading that link the other day as well.
fascinating stuff.
I never worried a lot about my water for the beer, I just know that it is 100% drinkable water and that has a good pH, I never interests you the addition of water substances to replicate commercial beers, I Just create my beer.
JOBRLA
Novice

Post by JOBRLA »

"SS" you said " Ideally, you want a mash pH of 5.2–5.6 when you mix the water and grains." Are you talking after you have just mixed the grains and water, or after fermenting.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

JOBRLA,

Fermentations experience a drop in pH, sometimes drastic requiring the addition of a calcium carbonate buffer (oyster shells). s_s was referring to adjusting pH during the mash.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Twisted Brick wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:12 am JOBRLA,

s_s was referring to adjusting pH during the mash.
:thumbup:
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
bluefish_dist
Distiller

Post by bluefish_dist »

One famous case of adjusting water for Brewers was in the town of vail. They often change water sources several times a day depending on need and time of year. To deal with this the local brewer started using ro water, then building the water for each beer so it was consistent from batch to batch. Most brewers have spread sheets to help with additions to get the water right for the beer they are making. I never did this, but I think it’s an area for improvement for most distillers.
Formerly
Dsp-CO-20051