Pink sugar wash

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

baldyben
Novice

Pink sugar wash

Post by baldyben »

Anybody have a sugar wash turn pinkish .
I put two 25ltr sugarwashes up
25ltr 6kgsugar 1/2 pack of turbo in each. its nearly finished this morning
but its taken on a pinkish appearance
Anybody had this. (both washes are the same)
Only different thing i have done is fermented it outside . I normally do it in the shed
could sunlight do this??
Thanks
greggn
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Pink sugar wash

Post by greggn »

baldyben wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:16 am Anybody have a sugar wash turn pinkish .

Only different thing i have done is fermented it outside . I normally do it in the shed
could sunlight do this??

I had this happen once ... when I cold crashed a batch outside (taking advantage of winter weather). I suspected then that sunlight was the culprit but I never exposed a wash to sunlight again and, shortly thereafter, moved on to AG.

So, I never had it happen again but I never repeated the same conditions.

I drank fifty pounds of feed-store corn
'till my clothes were ratty and torn
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

It never happened, they could be impurity in sugar, it could also be some ingredients of your yeast.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

I used boiled wine lees/slurry that I keep for nutrients and it made my sugar wash pinkish. Sounds like a bacterial infection of some sort if it developed into a pink Wash. any off or unexpected smells?
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
baldyben
Novice

Post by baldyben »

jonnys_spirit wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:10 am I used boiled wine lees/slurry that I keep for nutrients and it made my sugar wash pinkish. Sounds like a bacterial infection of some sort if it developed into a pink Wash. any off or unexpected smells?
No unusual smell and it tastes ok for fermented sugar wash
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

I found this thread using the google search tool referring to a pink wash:
https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtop ... =3&t=46995

I'd be wary in any case and research because it's not a typical scenario for a wash to turn pink.

Cheers,
jb
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Novice

Post by 01001010 »

I suspect it could be. I dealt with pink washes for a while, and never figured out a single cause. I ended up creating a whole new fermenting procedure, with new equipment as the only way to get rid of it. I did partially suspect the sunlight, as that room get 6 hours a day of it. I also blamed the type of yeast used as well as replacing all fermenting vessels. I tried changing them one by one, but it didn't go away until I re-did everything about the process.

If all you changed was moving it to the great outdoors, then try a blanket or non-opaque fermenter with the same recipe and see if it continues.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

If the pH is close to neutral, (unlikely in a sugar wash), it could be Brevibacterium linens, which is present on your skin. When making washed rind cheese, I propagate it from my skin rather than paying exorbitant prices for cultures.
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

NZChris wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:11 pm If the pH is close to neutral, (unlikely in a sugar wash), it could be Brevibacterium linens, which is present on your skin. When making washed rind cheese, I propagate it from my skin rather than paying exorbitant prices for cultures.
S-methyl thioesters “Stinky Feet” bacteria. I must’ve propagated tons of that shit during gym class :sick:
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

My WPOSW washes all seem somewhat pink. The wash itself clears to a very pale amber but the trub at the bottom of the bucket after it's cleared has a definite pink tone. I just assumed it was a yeast thing. I have relatively hard water and use oyster shells to manage the pH.
"I have a potstill that smears like a fresh plowed coon on the highway" - Jimbo

A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

NormandieStill wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:33 am The wash itself clears to a very pale amber but the trub at the bottom of the bucket after it's cleared has a definite pink tone.
Its always been that way got me too . Doesn’t really seem to matter what sugar wash I use , they all end up with a pale pink trub
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Emptied the fermenter today , remembered this topic .
37D44E24-1568-4BA9-9334-BAFA05BCA7CB.jpeg
Baldy , did you run it and did it taste any different to the not pink one ?
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Might be a dead rat there in the bottom turnin it pink Yummy ,did ya have a scratch around to see?