LME Wash stopped

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

VictoryRay
Novice

LME Wash stopped

Post by VictoryRay »

Heres the story,
I was given a bucket of Wheat Extract and a bucket of Malt Extract. Heated up 10 gal of water. Used 25lb Wheat, 15lb Malt. Disolved in hot water, moved to ferment barrel, filled till i got to 1.057. (@25 gal total). Let cool to @75deg. Pitched some yeast nutrient and 8pks of EC1118.
Worked good for @4days then started slowing down. SG is now at 1.027. Tried warming it, nothing. PH was down to 3.22. Raised it back to 5.23. Still nothing.

Would the unfermentable sugars in the extracts keep the SG that high? It still tastes sweet.

Ill take any advise,

Ray
Hambone
Rumrunner

Re: LME Wash stopped

Post by Hambone »

75F kinda cool but should be ok with that yeast. Did you add any enzymes? I think Shady had better FG as some of unfermentables converted. I’d expect lower than 1.027…

Is it staying at 1.027? If dropping slowly leave it be…
Good judgement is the result of experience.

Experience is usually the result of bad judgement..
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by subbrew »

LME should end about 1.010 as it will have some unfermentable long chain sugars. Can explain the ph drop as LME should have enough buffering to not let it get that low. EC1118 is more of a wine yeast so might not like the malt sugars that well. You might try pitching some US-05 or another ale yeast.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

I'd suggest you try pitching some bakers or distillers yeast.
They can make their own enzymes to convert some of the Maltotriose in the wort into simpler fermentable sugars.
The other and best option is to use Glucoamylase. That should get the final gravity closer to 1.000