Possibly Infected

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Smokee
Swill Maker

Possibly Infected

Post by Smokee »

In 8 years of making whiskey I think this batch of mash isn't going to work. My flaked corn was bad, I got some from the brew store, it was pretty grainy compared to what I usually use. It held the wort so I left it sit longer than I usually do - I was missing about 2 gallons. I smelled a smell today, tore the Brewzilla apart and there was molding grain on the bottom screen. I just heated it to 165, I guess we'll see. Bummer!

I gotta feeling I'm going to need a redo.
Last edited by Smokee on Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Smokee
Swill Maker

Re: Possibly Infected

Post by Smokee »

I'm wrong, it's $20 for 40 lbs. Even better!
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

If it was moldy you don't want it. That's my recommendation but others may recommend something different.

Cheers!
-j
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

jonnys_spirit wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:03 pm If it was moldy you don't want it. That's my recommendation but others may recommend something different.

Cheers!
-j
Could a portion be used as a dunder pit starter?
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
Smokee
Swill Maker

Post by Smokee »

jonnys_spirit wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:03 pm If it was moldy you don't want it. That's my recommendation but others may recommend something different.

Cheers!
-j
The grain on top molded, the already drained wart seemed fine. If it gets funky, out it goes.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Stonecutter wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:44 pm
Could a portion be used as a dunder pit starter?
I would NOT use moldy grains because they can contain toxins. Along with food safety issues due to mycotoxins, the effects of Fusarium infections on malt and beer quality can be disastrous. While some of the Fusarium head blight mycotoxins, such as DON, present in infected barley may be lost during steeping, the Fusarium mold is still capable of growth and mycotoxin production during steeping, germination and kilning.

It is not clearly understood whether distillation will eliminate the toxins, or if they’ll carry over in the distillate because the toxins can tolerate elevated temperatures.

Be safe….dump the moldy grains, or at least shovel them into your garden.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K