Mashed the barley too hot

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Daniel Baker
Novice

Mashed the barley too hot

Post by Daniel Baker »

I have about 18 lbs of corn in 10 gallons of water. I had the probe of my thermometer in the top of the mix. When it read 150F, I added 3lbs of rye and 2lbs of 6-row and mixed it all in. After mixing the grains in, my temperature was at 160F because the thermal mass at the center of the wash would be greater than at the top.

I'm afraid all of my beta-amylase enzymes in the grains are denatured. I don't have any home brew stores near me, but I do have a grocery store and a Walgreens. Are there any digestive enzymes I could get which would work in a pinch? Could I make something work with unmalted rye or barley? I have some more grains coming, but I don't want to wait too long if I can help it.
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Mashed the barley too hot

Post by Stonecutter »

Can you be certain that your mash remained below 163-165? How long was it at the 160F zone? Your betas are probably toast. Your alpha amylase is more than likely still viable. Continue the process and do an iodine check after an hour or so. Was the Rye Malted?
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

It’s a long shot, but Beano pills for bloated stomachs & gas might work. The product info page says:
How does beano® work?
beano® contains an enzyme from a natural source that works with your body's digestion. It breaks down the complex carbohydrates found in gassy foods into simpler, easily digestible sugars before they reach the colon, preventing gas before it starts. Learn more about gas and beano®.

I may have also read somewhere here that green bananas might work. Sounds like it is a good time to add high temperature liquid enzymes to your still shed shelf. Good luck.
🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

And gluco too!
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Daniel Baker
Novice

Post by Daniel Baker »

Thanks everyone! I can only take the temperature from the top, where I would suspect the mash is at its coolest. I don't believe the temperature ever rose to 163-165, but it was probably at or near 160 for at least an hour. The rye and the barley were both malted.

I've never used gluco-amylase in the past, but that looks like something I should definitely look into. I found some as part of a general digestive enzyme pill. Do you know if I could use general digestive enzymes to break down the starches? If so, how much?
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

bean o in the search bar will net you a great deal of information.

I have a compost thermometer that is 24" long, and an analog

submersible thermometer that you can tie a string to.

heat rises. YMMV
be water my friend
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Daniel Baker wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:29 am I have about 18 lbs of corn in 10 gallons of water. I had the probe of my thermometer in the top of the mix. When it read 150F, I added 3lbs of rye and 2lbs of 6-row and mixed it all in. After mixing the grains in, my temperature was at 160F because the thermal mass at the center of the wash would be greater than at the top.

I'm afraid all of my beta-amylase enzymes in the grains are denatured. I don't have any home brew stores near me, but I do have a grocery store and a Walgreens. Are there any digestive enzymes I could get which would work in a pinch? Could I make something work with unmalted rye or barley? I have some more grains coming, but I don't want to wait too long if I can help it.
You may or may not have made a mistake.
I'd ferment what you have and see what you get.

I'd also calibrate the thermometer and stir the mash more.
Plus, buy some Alpha and Gluco for insurance. :wink: