Adding amalayse after it is gelled

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

DenisZen
Novice

Adding amalayse after it is gelled

Post by DenisZen »

I have read through dozens of posts and have done nothing but become more confused. I hope that you can help.

I have done several sugar wash runs and had them turn out good to acceptable and decided to try to do a corn mash sugar wash hybrid run.

I'm using a recipe that I found here that consists of 5 lb of sugar 5 lb of corn and 5 gallons of waterand a pH water of five. I am using distilled water in thoroughly decontaminated containers and my rig is a 5 gallon two pot setup. I am using red star distillers active dry yeast yeast starter and BSG amylase. All suggested quality.

Now my predicament, I boiled my corn so that it thoroughly gelled and was unable to add the amylase as it cooled and now I am stuck with a pot full of cold goo and don't know what I should do or how I should go about adding the amylase now. Its very thick and gooey.

I used a cheesecloth bag and an elevation pad in my boiler to keep it from scorching.

I am thinking that I should split my mash and try to reheat it slowly stirring it constantly to avoid scorching to bring it back up to 156° so that I can add the amylase and then add my sugar thats been dissolved in ph correct water and add it to the mash and then letting it cool and then pitching my yeast.

Will this work or am I stuck with a pot of goo?
My buddy asked me how I got over my last ex girlfriend... Its easy I told him, ya just gotta back up a little bit more to pick up more speed!
DenisZen
Novice

Re: Adding amalayse after it is gelled

Post by DenisZen »

I'm using cracked corn that has been broken down to approximately 6 to 8 pieces per kernel and found a post that is got me headed in the right direction.

when I reheat my corn mash to add the amylase I realize that I will have to use a double boiler so it's not to scorch it. I think I have found my own answer. I will keep you posted and let you know how it goes. Sorry for the needless post I couldn't find the thread when I looked for the first time. Sorry yall!
My buddy asked me how I got over my last ex girlfriend... Its easy I told him, ya just gotta back up a little bit more to pick up more speed!
DenisZen
Novice

Post by DenisZen »

And what I will do to help bring the temperature up is when I add the sugar water I will heat it up to 156 and then add it to my mash so as to help bring the temperature up faster without scorching.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

I would heat a portion of water and ad the sugar, making a syrup-like solution. You can then add the hot syrup to the corny goo, checking the temperature so you don’t overshoot the saccarification temperature (148-150*F). Then, stir in the enzymes. If you have barley malt, that’s also the time to “dough in” the malt into the corn. Stir it all up and hold the temperature at 148-150*F, adding more of the hot water if/as needed. It may take a couple of hours for the mash to convert completely.

You can test starch conversion with a drop of iodine. Scoop a few drop of the liquor from the mash tun and put it on a white saucer. Then, drip a drop of the iodine on it. If it turns dark blue/black, then there is still starch present. If it remains amber colored, then the starch has been converted to sugars.

If you’re just making a UJSSM type of wash, it is actually just a sugar wash with corn flavor added with the cracked corn. Very little, if any fermentable sugars are coming from the corn, just the sugar you’ve added. If that’s the case, you don’t need to “mash” the grains. just stir and cool to yeast pitch temperature.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

Just add the enzymes and mix, they should re-liquify the gelled corn on their own. I’ve added ground barley malt to buckets of corn that looked like concrete and watched it just dissolve back into liquid magically.
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

If the temperature is low I would do just as you said, it heats stirring constantly to lead to the right temperature then enter the enzymes.If you can't mix (too solid) evaluate to put some water.
DenisZen
Novice

Post by DenisZen »

Thanks everyone for the solid answers. I went with my original plan and did so thusly.

I spit the goo into two smaller pots and put them on a double boiler with water that was just starting to steam, adding enough water to just make it viscous.( Like semi lumpy gravy ). I took my sugar and disolved it into a pan added it to my mash and GENTLY brought it up to temp.and held it there for an hour after adding my powdered amalayse. I allowed it to cool and pitched my yeast starter and yeast and aerated it in sterile containers and put it in my fermenter and put a air lock on the top of it and it's bubbling away like mad.

So what I sumise is as long as your gel stays uncontaminated you can pick the process back up mid stroke and successfully mash. The caution being given to viscosity of the gel and properly bringing it back up to temperature to introduce the amylase.

Thank you everyone for the good help. Y'all rock!

I am going to experiment with cold gel and amalyse to see what the deal is. I will post my findings. 👍

I checked my ph and everything was good.
DenisZen
Novice

Post by DenisZen »

Special thanks to the master distillers... I am honored sir. Thank you for taking the time to chime in.

I appreciate your time, as I do all of you.

May you live only as long as you want and may you never want as long as you live.
howie
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by howie »

good job, glad it worked out.
you might want to check out using some high temp enzymes.
i've only done a couple of corn cooks, but it made life very easy easier
DenisZen
Novice

Post by DenisZen »

Thanks Howie !!! Ive been looking up different malts and enzymes to see what their components consists of. Its very interesting!
howie
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by howie »

DenisZen wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:23 am Thanks Howie !!! Ive been looking up different malts and enzymes to see what their components consists of. Its very interesting!
interesting as in minefield :)
i'm learning how to juggle high temp enzymes, angel yeast with it's enzymes and natural enzymes in malted grain.
with the high temp enzyme, following the manufacturers instructions, i just had to get the water to 50C, throw in the corn and enzyme, take it to 90C for 30 - 60 mins.
i milled the corn grits pretty fine and it was like thin soup all the way.