Enzyme for beer

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Demy
Master of Distillation

Enzyme for beer

Post by Demy »

Wanting to make a beer (not necessarily for distillation) using powder enzymes, according to you what enzyme would be optimal (beta or alpha)? In a traditional mash with malt there are a mix of enzymes and we know their role but can we get away with a single enzyme in the production of beer? Only beta I believe that it would leave beer too dry (low f.g.) ....We leave the protein factor aside, I speak of the only conversion of the starches and the flavor that would give to beer using only one enzyme.
Ben
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Enzyme for beer

Post by Ben »

usually beer is made with mostly malted barley, or wheat, both of which are self converting and wont need enzyme. But since I don't know what you have going, you want alpha and beta, then use the mash temp to balance the mouthfeel. Use specialty grain and your hop bill to balance sweetness.
:)
Setsumi
Distiller

Post by Setsumi »

Look a bit into Brut style beers. Some info on homebrewtalk regarding enzymes to dry it out.
My first flute
My press
My twins
My controller
My wife tells me I fell from heaven covered in white. Why did they let me fall?
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

Mainly I want to use it for a maize malt beer, I do it in traditional Moodo and often I don't have a complete conversion of starches so it would help natural enzymes help