Disaster/Learning Curve

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Broken Jug
Bootlegger

Disaster/Learning Curve

Post by Broken Jug »

Just another mistake I made that I learned from.

I must be learning a lot with all the mistakes I make. You would think I would be a walking book of knowledge by now, but unfortunately I have CRMS (can’t remember shit) syndrome, so I keep making the same mistakes.

But this mistake is the first with what I’m working with.

Up until this past weekend, my biggest ferment was ~20 gallons.

Wanting to do bigger ferments, I bought two 55 gallon white food grade barrels this past summer.

Well, that’s exactly what I did over the weekend.

I put 95 pounds of grain into the fermenter (in proper sequence of course) along with the water, which filled my barrel to 47 gallons.
Late Yesterday, which was Sunday, I was finally able to pitched the yeast when the temp finally came down (takes a long time to cool down with that much mash, another lesson learned). Since it was pretty late by time I was able to pitch the yeast, I went to bed because I had to work the next day.

My wife has been feeling well, so I came home for a little while to check on her before going back to work.
While I was home checking on my wife, I decided to go check on my mash to see how it was doing (my brew house is a small heated shed out back).

Being excited to see my first large ferment ever, I couldn’t wait, so I rushed to the shed, unlocked the door and threw it open. Well that’s where my excitement ended, apparently I needed more head space in my 55 gallon fermenter, obviously 47 gallons in a 55 gallon barrel is way too much!

Yes you guessed it, Mount Saint Helen’s erupted all over my brew shed, what a sticky mess!

Next time I won’t be filling it so full in the future.
Sporacle
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Disaster/Learning Curve

Post by Sporacle »

:D Did you add 47 gallons of water to the 95 pounds of grain or was it 47 gallons in total (grain and liquid) I always volume my grain, figure my ratio generally 1 to 4 (metric) or 2 to 1 (freedom) then add grain volume to water and leave 1/5 expansion.
Good luck in future
" you can pick your nose and you can pick your friends; but you can't always wipe your friends off on your saddle" sage advice from Kinky Friedman
Broken Jug
Bootlegger

Post by Broken Jug »

47 gallons was the total (water and grains)

Thanks for wishing me luck in the future, I need it🤠
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

Damn BrokenJug, that sucks. For what it’s worth, I have kept my ferments to 42 gallons or less in my 55 gallon barrel and have yet to have a ferment foam over. (Knock on wood).

Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

I like to put two 5lb weights on top of my 6 gallon fermenter so that the barm spits out of the airlock or blowoff tube instead of popping the top. It ain’t perfect but it helps.
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
Sporacle
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Sporacle »

I would have thought that 47 gallons of water would be around the right ratio to add to the grain, did you happen to take a SG :D
" you can pick your nose and you can pick your friends; but you can't always wipe your friends off on your saddle" sage advice from Kinky Friedman
Broken Jug
Bootlegger

Post by Broken Jug »

Sporacle wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:34 pm I would have thought that 47 gallons of water would be around the right ratio to add to the grain, did you happen to take a SG :D
You’re right Sporacle, my ratio is off.

I’m like a dam kid at times. When I get excited about doing something, I think of the end product, and not about the small details, which are the most important.

This is how smart I am, I say that sarcastically.

So again, I was excited to do my first 40 GALLON!! Mash.

So since I planned on doing 40 gallons, I did some math (I need to go back to school).

I was shooting for 2.5 pounds per gallon, or just under.

With my exceptional math skills, I came up with 95 pounds of total grains with 40 gallons of water, would put me at 2.375 pounds of grain per gallon of water. Perfect!

Except one thing, I didn’t figure in the volume of the grains, I’m such an idiot!!

Who would have thought that 95 pounds of grain and 40 gallons of water doesn’t equal 40 gallons total, again, I’m such an idiot.

So yes, I over shot my gravity. I was hoping for 1.065 to 1.068 on the high end, but what I have is 1.072 OG, since I didn’t feel comfortable about adding all 40 gallons of water. A lot of good that was, I still ran it over.

I may add some more water to bring it down, especially since I have plenty of room in the barrel now since the eruption 🌋🤣
Sporacle
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Sporacle »

I totally hear you, my brain doesn't work well with that stuff at all. On the wall of my shed I have kg per litre for all grains plus total volumes for my three separate sized fermentors, same for molly and same for sugar. I also have dose rates for yeast written on the wall as well, one less thing I have to think about :thumbup:
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

I leave 20% headspace with my all grains & 10% with sugarheads, rum, etc. Haven’t had a problem — yet.
🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

That's a damn shame. I do 23 to 35 gallon ferments in a 30 gallon barrel and worry about head space sometimes. So far, so good. the closest I've come so far was foam on the lid, but nothing has spilled over yet.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Broken Jug
Bootlegger

Post by Broken Jug »

8Ball wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:51 pm I leave 20% headspace with my all grains & 10% with sugarheads, rum, etc. Haven’t had a problem — yet.
Thanks 8Ball, I appreciate the info.

Another thing I realized while doing this, I need a big ass wort chiller!

Thanks again 8Ball
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

Sporacle wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:43 pm I totally hear you, my brain doesn't work well with that stuff at all. On the wall of my shed I have kg per litre for all grains plus total volumes for my three separate sized fermentors, same for molly and same for sugar. I also have dose rates for yeast written on the wall as well, one less thing I have to think about :thumbup:
That sounds like a cheat sheet worth working on. I might have to sit down and do some sums to get a max fill value for my 32L buckets and work to that rather than a nominal 25L.
"I have a potstill that smears like a fresh plowed coon on the highway" - Jimbo

A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers