Water/Corn Ratio for fermenting ?!

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

levaninep
Novice

Water/Corn Ratio for fermenting ?!

Post by levaninep »

Hello,

I am working with this recipe

6 kg corn + 20 liters (5.2 gallons) of water. Than heating this adding alfa and glyco amylase.

My question is, what is the optimal amount of water for 6 kg corn ?

I am going to make 1:1, I mean 6kg corn + 6 liter water (1.6 gallon). what you think about it ?
Sporacle
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Water/Corn Ratio for fermenting ?!

Post by Sporacle »

:D 6x4, so 24l of water is what I would use. 1kg of grain to 4L of water
" you can pick your nose and you can pick your friends; but you can't always wipe your friends off on your saddle" sage advice from Kinky Friedman
Iulistoi
Bootlegger

Post by Iulistoi »

3 liters water for every kg of grains is the minimum amount of water for fully gelatinising the starch.

I once used 2:1 but the yield was lower. Most probably, the starch didn't gelatinised completely.

I think that 3.5:1 is great, and even 4:1 is good. It's easyer to boil and is less prone to scorching. 4:1 ratio cormeal to water will give 1.07 SG, that will give almost 10% ABV if fully fermented.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

2:1 pounds:gallons is a good ratio for me. Perfect for a large batch 50g ferment means about 100# grains and the math is really easy for percentages..

Cheers!
-j
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Ben
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Ben »

I'm with Jonny, I use 2 qts/lb or ≈ 4l/kg. If you are doing all grain you can go much thinner, add all your mash water up front it makes things easier.

Read this: https://homedistiller.org/wiki/index.php/index.ph ... ash_Method
Last edited by Ben on Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
:)
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Gosh, you guys are way more “anal” about your mash density than I am. I just dough in until the consistency is about right (plus or minus a quart). But I do watch the mash temperatures closely, choosing to stabilize “from the bottom up”.

For corn, I make a thin mash on the stovetop to gelatinize and then place it into the oven for 2 to 3 hours at 190*F. Then, I use this “hot mash” to infuse heat back into the mash tun with the barley malt and other cereal grains at 140* to 145*F, raising the temperature back to saccharification temp (148* to 150*F). I will then add water at the proper temperature to thin the mash as necessary to get the proper density for conversion (1-1/2 to 2-1/2 quarts per pound).

But, it’s not a critical measurement. More about the “feel” of the mash. Consistent stirring helps conversion too, so don’t just let it set and forget. Keep the grains moving if you can.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Ben
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Ben »

I am anal when I do all grain, I take notes, I hit weights and measurements, temps and times as accurately as I can, that way when things go right or wrong I can understand. Pays dividends later, cuz once a recipe is dialed I know exactly what to do, when and how. With this hobby it might be 2 or more years between runs of a specific recipe, and if I don't have all the info I am boned... memory isn't near that good.

If I am making a sugarhead, then I just fling stuff and water into a bucket and its good enough.
:)
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

I'm not too anal and just go with "about 2#/gallon" then to the consistency I want... The grains convert to ETOH not the water so 100# grains is going to give up the same amount of ETOH regardless of whether I use 40 gallons or 50 gallons of water.. If I get three 15'ish gallon strips off it then it's a wash - maybe plus some top up reserved for the spirit run plus any feints I may have..

Cheers!
-j
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————