Gumball Sugar Head Vodka

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

morefog
Novice

Gumball Sugar Head Vodka

Post by morefog »

I've read through some of the gumball threads and its a bit over my head. Either that or I drank more than I thought tonight. Never drink and post.

What I want to do is make an AG beer mash, transfer the wort to boil, leaving behind the unsqueezed spent grains. Then immediately dump sugar, water, nutrients and yeast on the spent grains to start a sugar wash for vodka. Is it that simple or am I missing something important?
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Re: Gumball Sugar Head Vodka

Post by NZChris »

I don't bother with the nutrients and yeast.
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

I did exactly that using the grains from a stout. It's been on medium-toasted, charred oak for about 4 months now and is quite interesting. Interesting enough that I'm toying with the idea of making a stout whisky.
"I have a potstill that smears like a fresh plowed coon on the highway" - Jimbo

A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers
rubberduck71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rubberduck71 »

I do this with all my spent grain ferments.

Making a sugarhead helps keep my paws off the all grain while it ages.
There are two times of year: FOOTBALL SEASON and... Waiting For Football Season
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

I do this but instead of straight sugar I've started mashing in some additional grains (plus some specialty @ about 10% grainbill weight for flavor) plus I'll use something other than sugar to bump the SG - Like panela, molasses, or maybe even honey or perhaps some cheap apple juice... Seems to stretch the last bit of flavor out of the spent grains, incorporates some new mashed grains, and additional flavor from some sweet material that isn't sugar... I figure that a small mash is pretty easy and topping the SG up with panela is too - And I get two ferments before squeezing which is the big bonus!

Cheers,
j
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
CoogeeBoy
Rumrunner

Post by CoogeeBoy »

anyone tried using Angel yeast on spent corn?
Taking a break while I get a new still completed....
Sporacle
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Sporacle »

Are you talking corn from a UJSSM Coogee or a spent corn from a mash? I wonder how much starch the Angel would have left to convert from a left over mash if the initial conversion was good?
" you can pick your nose and you can pick your friends; but you can't always wipe your friends off on your saddle" sage advice from Kinky Friedman
CoogeeBoy
Rumrunner

Post by CoogeeBoy »

Just from a mash and I agree, I got a good conversion I think but I was hesitant to ferment on the grain UJSSM style so I drained it roughly then added hot water back to the grains and threw in some Angel (Yellow Label) yeast, its going off.
CoogeeBoy
Rumrunner

Post by CoogeeBoy »

Sporacle wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:06 am Are you talking corn from a UJSSM Coogee or a spent corn from a mash? I wonder how much starch the Angel would have left to convert from a left over mash if the initial conversion was good?

Just from a mash and I agree, I got a good conversion I think but I was hesitant to ferment on the grain UJSSM style so I drained it roughly then added hot water back to the grains and threw in some Angel (Yellow Label) yeast, its going off.

Original mash was 3.25kg corn, I used both Gluco Amylase and Apha Amylase AND I used 1.3kg of malt (I have only done one all grain before and I wanted to make sure of the conversion, pretty sure I got it!) 15l of water and got around 1.07 SG so happy with that.

Rest as pre above, what do I do, ferment on grain or give the Angel Yeast a crack. Will let you know how it goes.
howie
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by howie »

i have started to try and get more out of my relatively expensive grains.
i've been mashing grains then sparging to 25l and pitching us-05.
then dumping spent grains into another fermenter with 4.5kg of sugar with yellow angel.
the angel seems to extract any starch,colour & taste left behind.
not got any old enough to taste yet.
i've not tried it spent corn, yet.
coogee - did you add any sugar to the spent corn, or just water + angel?
CoogeeBoy
Rumrunner

Post by CoogeeBoy »

howie wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:07 pm i have started to try and get more out of my relatively expensive grains.
then dumping spent grains into another fermenter with 4.5kg of sugar with yellow angel.
Hi mate, no sugar, just all the corn and malt grains. I would be interested to know what OG you got out of the Angel, I will let you know in a week or so!
howie
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by howie »

CoogeeBoy wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:35 pm
howie wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:07 pm i have started to try and get more out of my relatively expensive grains.
Hi mate, no sugar, just all the corn and malt grains. I would be interested to know what OG you got out of the Angel, I will let you know in a week or so!
i don't think you can get an OG when using yellow angel.

looks you did well on the 3.25kg corn/1.3kg malt.
my app says 1.070 in 15L for a mash efficiency of 80% :thumbup:
does that mean there's 20% left for the angel to chew on?
CoogeeBoy
Rumrunner

Post by CoogeeBoy »

howie wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:46 am
CoogeeBoy wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:35 pm
i don't think you can get an OG when using yellow angel.

looks you did well on the 3.25kg corn/1.3kg malt.
my app says 1.070 in 15L for a mash efficiency of 80% :thumbup:
does that mean there's 20% left for the angel to chew on?
I forgot that you cant get the OG using Angel. I had that trouble when I did my Sake/Sochu (which turned out quite nice I must say)
Other threads people are talking about not getting the starch out of the kernel in the cracked corn. I didn't squeeze my grains and thought there would be some recoverable sugars therein and some starches not converted so give the Angel a crack (and that I have a lot of Angel left in the freezer)

Tried the LAnvin in the 2 strained batches, one took off, one didn't, so I pitched some EC 1118 last night and it has gone off! The fastest airlock action I have ever had.