My Personal Favorite Recipes

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

v0rtexx
Novice

My Personal Favorite Recipes

Post by v0rtexx »

Hi Everyone,

I have been searching for some Recipes on this forum and found it is very difficult to pinpoint them as they are spread out across the board (I know WIKI has some, but I want to see what others have). So I thought that I'd create a thread that you can post your personal favorite recipes including; ingredients used, techniques involved etc.

As I am fairly new to distilling and creating different spirits, I will find this thread to be very useful in the near future. Specially with the vast knowledge of the homedistiller.org community.

So come on, what recipes are you hiding from us? Lets keep this thread going...
"One of God's own prototypes; a high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered
for mass production. Too weird to live, too rare to die" - HST
v0rtexx
Novice

Post by v0rtexx »

I am very interested in some brandy recipes.. any ideas? :?:
"One of God's own prototypes; a high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered
v0rtexx
Novice

Post by v0rtexx »

Found this off the net, seems interesting..

1 Cherry
900 g. Sugar
2.3 l. Honey
9 l. Water
1 ginger
30 g. cloves
60 g. Yeast
4 Lemons

Mixing Instruction
Spread the yeast on a piece of bread. Boil the water, honey and sugar. Add lemon juice, cloves and ginger. Leave to cool. When just warm, float the bread and yeast on the top. Cover / airlock. Leave for about 6-8 days. Strain and bottle(or distill). Corks should be loose to start with. Leave for at least 5-6 months.

Post by Guest »

what exactly does the bread do?
v0rtexx
Novice

Post by v0rtexx »

I'm not so sure myself. Perhaps it acts as a way to hydrate the yeast? I may do the recipe at some time, but I think I'll leave the bread out :shock:

Post by Guest »

v0rtexx wrote:I'm not so sure myself. Perhaps it acts as a way to hydrate the yeast? I may do the recipe at some time, but I think I'll leave the bread out :shock:
It may work as a nutrient for the yeast.

As for the recipes....many of the recipes on the wiki are from the people that frequent this site. But the following are my favorites from the WIKI..

Strawberry liquer
1-2qts frozen strawberries
white granulated sugar
bottle of clear brandy or vodka
lemon juice
Fill a large mason jar with FROZEN strawberries. Top the jar the rest of the way up to the top with 120-150proof clear brandy. Set jar on a window sill for about a week(shaking it a couple times a day). Strain out liquid into another jar or bottle. Add enough sugar to the strawberries to completely cover them. Let the jar sit on the window sill (giving it a shake now and then)until most of the sugar appears to be gone, and there is alot of syrup in the jar. Pour the syrup into a seperate jar and add more sugar to the strawberries. Repeat this step until there is no more juices being released from the berries. Add about 1-2 tablespoons of lemon juice to the alcohol, then add the strawberry syrup until the desired taste is reached, water to 80 proof and strain until no strawberry particles are seen. The lemon juice will help preserve the red color, and the flavor of the strawberries. Without the lemon juice, the finished product will have a chalky aftertaste (quite unpleasent). Any leftover syrup and/or berries is Excelent on ice cream and/or cheesecake.

Lemon-Lime Liqueur
2 Lemons (big)
2 Limes
3 cups spirit
2-3 cups sugar
Remove Zest from Fruit, Steep in vodka for 2 weeks, strain, add sugar and bottle.

Kahlua
1.5 cups brown sugar
1 cup regular granulated sugar
1/2 cup instant coffee
3 cups neutral spirit(100-120proof)
2 tsp pure vanilla extract

Combine sugars in a very small amount of water and heat and stir for 5 minutes until the sugars are disolved (don't boil). Gradually add coffee using a whisk until blended, then cool. Pour into bottle, add spirit and vanilla. Best if aged for 2 weeks, but good right away. Makes 1 liter.