mashing

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Pieterpost
Swill Maker

mashing

Post by Pieterpost »

At the moment I am trying to do an all grain wash (first try). Now this mashing part is especially labour intensive because I don't have a sausepan big enough (and I am too cheap to buy one, well for the moment that is).

Now for my question, has anyone tried mashing only a part of the grains and let the rest be broken down while fermenting? Normally the starch breakdown is done in about 2 hrs at 65 degrees centigrade. I see no problem in mashing only say like half ad let the rest be broken down during the fermentation. The only drawbacks I can think of is:

-the fermentation might take longer
-infection of the wash by the grains (this could be circumvented by washing the grains in 70% alcohol (waste of alcohol? would be reusable), or perhaps by another way). Or use ground grains but this will be more expensive

Anyone have ideas on this?
Yttrium
Swill Maker

Post by Yttrium »

If you look around you should be able to find a 20L stainless steel stock pot for around US$15-20. A few months ago I bought one for US$7 when they were on sale at a local supermarket. Also, if you use a cheap stockpot, it is likely that the steel will be rather thin, so you may want to use a heat diffuser to help prevent scorching. I use a 12 inch pizza pan with about a quarter inch(7mm) of sand in it as a heat diffuser and it works rather well.
The future is not set. There is no fate but what we make for ourselves. --John Conner
Pieterpost
Swill Maker

Post by Pieterpost »

hmmmm, I guess I am going to have to shop around for a stock-pot. Today I saw one which was 20 euro's ....... the search goes on !
The Chemist
Trainee

Post by The Chemist »

Hmmm...20Eu, $25USD, sounds like a good price if it's a good size.
Purposeful motion, for one so insane...
Pieterpost
Swill Maker

Post by Pieterpost »

well, it was about 15 liters ........ there are bound to be cheaper ones around. I might have a look at the second hand pages.
smokin T

pietrpost

Post by smokin T »

pietrpost

I have fermented on the grains, it works pretty good, a few things, you will not get all the sugars out so I usually bring up my SG with sugar, when it is finished fermenting make sure you strain all the grains out of your mash, let it settle then siphon the rest off of it, just keep siphoning untill it is nice and clean. I have had good success this way.
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

Post by Uncle Jesse »

if you ferment grains-in, let the grains dry before feeding them to livestock
If only the best birds sang, the woods would be silent.
Rickle

Post by Rickle »

Ebay has a 20 quart stainless steel stock pot for 9.99 I just got one myself.

20 quart stock pot

Pieterpost
Swill Maker

Post by Pieterpost »

smokin T thanks for the feedback, I am going to try that next time. I don't mind if I don't get 100% conversion, just start a bigger wash :)

Rickle, thanks for the tip but postage to europe would make it very expensive ! :wink:
Pieterpost
Swill Maker

Post by Pieterpost »

smokin T, could you post a recipe for the method you use?