Have I ruined my wash?

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

muppet
Novice

Have I ruined my wash?

Post by muppet »

Doing a 30L wash with 60-40 corn to malted barley and have found the wash stuck at 1.02 after getting off to a good start from an OG of 1.064

Putting the stall down to pH which I measured at 3.05

Having had this problem with a TPW wash a while back and using sodium carbonate to get that one working again, I bumped this AG wash up to mid to high 3's with 80g of sodium carbonate

Now reading into it a bit more I am worried I may have spoiled this wash as I've read elsewhere that sodium carbonate is not to be used for whiskey.

Have I ruined it? What kind of flavour (or other) problems can I expect once it ferments out dry and I run it?

Thanks
It is easier to fool someone than it is to convince them that they have been fooled.
Bee
Swill Maker

Re: Have I ruined my wash?

Post by Bee »

Get some pickling lime and add a teaspoon at a time until it gets up to about 4.0. Stir and wait at least 15 min between additions.

Sounds like your water has very little buffering capacity.

BTW, are you sure it's stalled? Maybe just slow.
Ben
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Ben »

You should really read this, and do so with the mentality that it is sarcasm: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=86962

The short answer is let it be, or run it as is. It's fine.
:)
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by subbrew »

If it doesn't take off you might try pitching some D47 yeast. I have found it to take acidic environment better than most
tombombadil
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by tombombadil »

Are you using oyster shells? They seem to dissolve as needed when the ph drops, keeping it up enough to keep the fermentation going.
muppet
Novice

Post by muppet »

Thanks everyone for your replies. It did start bubbling away again very slowly after a day or so. Haven't ran it though the still yet, so time will tell as to whether the flavour has been adversely affected.

I've started adding a handful of seashells to my fermenters now, hopefully this will assist in buffering the pH in future.

Cheers again dudes.
It is easier to fool someone than it is to convince them that they have been fooled.