Double distill

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

v0rtexx
Novice

Double distill

Post by v0rtexx »

Hi all,

I have never double distilled and have probably a dumb question, however I don't particulary feel like blowing myself up..

Do I dilute my alc with water before throwing it in the boiler? Should I do everything roughly the same as distilling a 20% wash?
"One of God's own prototypes; a high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered
for mass production. Too weird to live, too rare to die" - HST
v0rtexx
Novice

Post by v0rtexx »

I'm using a potstill btw
Professor Duck
Novice

Post by Professor Duck »

You don't need to add any water. It would be counterproductive. You could only blow yourself up if your still was leaking vapour.
Image If Leonardo da Vinci had a video camera.
LeftLaneCruiser
Swill Maker

Post by LeftLaneCruiser »

Like PD said there is no need (not wanted either) to dillute the low wines before the second run. That is if the wines to be distilled are no higher than 40 % abv.

If the low wines are higher than 40 % abv. it is highly recommended to dillute them to, at most, 40 %. For safety reasons that is.

Distilling is a great hobby, as long as it is practiced with reason and safety!

KJH
Backwoods
Novice

Post by Backwoods »

The only thing that will change is the temperature at which your alchohol will be evaporating. A 20% abv will be different from a 40%. This site has calculators and graphs for that if you want to look it up. If your still has a thermometer you'll see this pretty easy, if not yes you do run it the same way. Good luck :D
"Shot who in the what now?" -Jasper

Re: Double distill

Post by Guest »

v0rtexx wrote:Hi all,

I have never double distilled and have probably a dumb question, however I don't particulary feel like blowing myself up..

Do I dilute my alc with water before throwing it in the boiler? Should I do everything roughly the same as distilling a 20% wash?
If your still has an internal element, add distilled water so that your element stays sumbmersed through the hole run. If you are using a hotplate or electric stove...just make sure you have enough in your boiler for a second run. If you are running flame heat....BE CRAEFULL!!!!!!!
v0rtexx
Novice

Post by v0rtexx »

Thank you for all the replies.

I wanted to double distil roughly a 60% wash. Guess I better dilute then as suggested above? 40% sounds good I suppose.

I have a potstill that has 6 separate clamps. It has a rubber lining for added seal but there may be some vapour leak.. guess I better be careful doing this. I think I'll warm it up slow and see how it goes. Have a fire extinguisher at the ready. :?
"One of God's own prototypes; a high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered
for mass production. Too weird to live, too rare to die" - HST