20 die from bad liquor in India

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

20 die from bad liquor in India

Post by Uncle Jesse »

(04-12) 11:07 PDT BANGALORE, India (AP) --

A shopkeeper in southern India sold batches of contaminated liquor, killing at least 20 people, most of them poor villagers, police said Tuesday.

The death toll is likely to rise, as more than 30 people have been hospitalized since Monday night in the Neelamangala region, 20 miles west of Bangalore, the capital of Karnataka state, said police inspector Ramesh Kumar.

Ten people died Monday night and another 10 died Tuesday, he said.

Dozens of people from three villages in the region consumed the liquor, which was sold in small plastic bags. The bag, which had fake labels, looked like cheap name-brand liquor, Kumar said.

"We are looking for a local gang that sold the liquor. No arrests have been made so far," Kumar said.

Such incidents are common in rural India, where cheap, homemade brew is sometimes mixed with methyl alcohol, which can cause blindness or death. The victims are almost always poor people who cannot afford more expensive alcohol.

Samples of the liquor have been sent to a lab for tests, Kumar said.
If only the best birds sang, the woods would be silent.
The Chemist
Trainee

Post by The Chemist »

Sad, but it happens all the time over there. Be Safe, Make Your Own.
Purposeful motion, for one so insane...
Yttrium
Swill Maker

Post by Yttrium »

A few weeks ago I remember a story from India where the alcohol being sold was 90% methanol. I wouldn't call that "contaminated liquor", I'd call that mislabeling an industrial solvent.
The future is not set. There is no fate but what we make for ourselves. --John Conner
John Q.

Post by John Q. »

A few months ago there was a similar story in Turkey I believe.
Josesillo
Bootlegger

Post by Josesillo »

Yttrium wrote:A few weeks ago I remember a story from India where the alcohol being sold was 90% methanol. I wouldn't call that "contaminated liquor", I'd call that mislabeling an industrial solvent.
i would call that contaminated methanol
- - - - - - -

--Fishing and Distilling... What else is there to do???.--