fresh corn recipie

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

bali boot leg
Novice

fresh corn recipie

Post by bali boot leg »

Hi i am only knew to this and am just starting to build a pot still .
has someone got an easy and detailed recipe using fresh corn on the cob
i live in asia and some things here are easy to get corn is one of them ,i can also get yeast and thats it .
minime
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: fresh corn recipie

Post by minime »

bali boot leg wrote:Hi i am only knew to this and am just starting to build a pot still .
has someone got an easy and detailed recipe using fresh corn on the cob
i live in asia and some things here are easy to get corn is one of them ,i can also get yeast and thats it .
If you crush fresh corn I'm sure there is some fermentable sugars in there but I'd think it would all depend on the variety. I don't think you'd ferment much if it was left whole on the cob though. There's some table variety's that certainly taste very sweet so there has to be a fair amount of sugar available. Most folks on here are doing corn flavored sugar washes or using enzymes to convert starches to sugar in dried corn.

Hope you come up with something though
Welcome to our forum Bali BL
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

since your in Asia you should be able to git "Koji" spores (aspergillus oryzae) that will work instead of enzymes
just cut corn(maze) off the cob add 1 kg per 4L of water- - add koji and yest, leave it where its warm and it will work off .

or you can do a sugar wash -- sugar(1kg per 4 l)/ maze (for flavor) and yest.
violentblue
Rumrunner

Post by violentblue »

Koji and corn, I would be interested to hear about the resuts of that.
I wonder if you wouldn't need to puree the corn a bit, to let the koji and yeast at it a bit more.

gotta find some yeast balls, so I can try some of this stuff.
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

I did a search on koji and found that it is used in rice/potatoes and grains mash. not shore of details. but corn not being ripe (converted to starch)
should be easier to convert but some cooking mite be in order? and if you cut the kernels not the cob the starch whould be exposed
( like creamed corn)
bali boot leg
Novice

Post by bali boot leg »

Thanks for the info ill try and source this and have a go ,
what would be a basic method ???
to make a brew like this ???
bali boot leg
Novice

Post by bali boot leg »

Dnderhead wrote:since your in Asia you should be able to git "Koji" spores (aspergillus oryzae) that will work instead of enzymes
just cut corn(maze) off the cob add 1 kg per 4L of water- - add koji and yest, leave it where its warm and it will work off .

or you can do a sugar wash -- sugar(1kg per 4 l)/ maze (for flavor) and yest.

so if i use a sugar wash + corn + yeast + 1ltre of water per kg corn how much sugar per kg corn ???????
my wife has just returned after trying to find Koji ,no luck and now iam up for a dinner at a restrunt after she spent 6hrs searching markets(ps rum and scotch has been hit by tax here and is now over$120.00 a bottle ) :cry:
Hawke
retired

Post by Hawke »

I think you could use the simple sour mash technique. Look in the Tried and True section for Uncle Jesse's Simple Sour Mash.
It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.
Valved Reflux, 3"x54" Bok 'mini', 2 liebig based pots and the 'Blockhead' 60K btu propane heat
goose eye
Master of Distillation

Post by goose eye »

aint sure bout yalls measurein so that up to you to change but round here it 2 5 gal bucket full of cut kernels to the barel with a 50 pound sack of suger. let her pick a desert cause it gonna take a while pullin an cutin.

so im tole
KatoFong
Swill Maker

Post by KatoFong »

Hey friends. Long time since I've posted here, and long time since this thread ended. But hey, what with The Walking Dead being so popular, perhaps now is the time for a zombie or two. I wanted to weigh in on the whole koji for fermentation thing. I'd bet it could be used nicely for corn, but unless you're in Japan, you're unlikely to find straight up koji. You are, however, likely to find a food called "red yeast rice," which is a health food sold in the US in capsul form and which is sold in many Asian countries in its whole form. Red yeast rice has been inoculated with a fungus called Monascus purpureus, which acts in much the same way as koji to break down the sugars in grains. I recently made a batch of red sake using this stuff and found it helped the yeast along just fine. Be warned, though, that it introduces other flavors into the ferment that may not be so desirable in your whiskey (though they were lovely in the sake I made).

Hope this helps.
clovermill
Novice

Post by clovermill »

I have had luck finding Koji at some homebrew websites. Its often labeled 'Sake Homebrew Starter' or something along those lines.
Never tried it with corn, but I know that a Japanese scientist name Jokichi Takamine convinced the American whiskey industry to use Koji in the early part of the 20th century.
The industry eventually went back to using Saccharomyces Cerevisiae. Given the fact that they ever switched to the koji-style of fermentation to begin with indicates it must work with corn.
I would try steaming the corn first, just like they do to the rice.
- Never Stop Improving -