What do you ferment in?

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Fluxburn

What do you ferment in?

Post by Fluxburn »

Do you just ferment in your still then after fermentation stain the mash and distill.

I wash thinking of just fermenting in my pressure cooker, then filtering the mash and distilling in my still.

Also it looks like 20% is the maxium alcohol content I can make in a wash. No way to make a 50% wash or 60%?
LeftLaneCruiser
Swill Maker

Re: What do you ferment in?

Post by LeftLaneCruiser »

I just ferment in buckets with lids on them. Those kind of buckets are used by restaurants, and the like, to hold sauces. Most of the time u can get them for free.

For washes (low alcohol content) almost anything that doesn't leak is fine. It sure helps if the material is "food grade" :wink:

Fluxburn wrote:Also it looks like 20% is the maxium alcohol content I can make in a wash. No way to make a 50% wash or 60%?
Sure, there is a simple trick for that, it's called "distilling".... :D

KJH
pangea

Post by pangea »

I have two beer kegs dedicated to mashing. When I am mashing more than two at a time, I use food grade buckets. WalMart sells their once used cake frosting buckets with lids for $1. My son works there. I have lots-o-buckets. In fact my indian name is Many Buckets. :lol:
Pieterpost
Swill Maker

Post by Pieterpost »

I use those plastic waterbottles you find in offices. Currently I have 4 of them (all in use :D) They hold 18,9 liters and the hole in the lid is great for a rubber stopper with an air-lock!
Billy Joe Jim Bob
Novice

mash vessels

Post by Billy Joe Jim Bob »

I brew in class carboys left over from the beer making days. Its kind of cool to watch the yeast do its thing.....BJJB
Since I read of the evils of drinking, I gave up reading.
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

comments

Post by Uncle Jesse »

Glass carboys are fine, but leave them in a dark place while fermenting.
If only the best birds sang, the woods would be silent.
outlawokie
Novice

Post by outlawokie »

I use astainless 5gal milkcan with a lid it has avalve in it for breathing perposes also 15 gal stainless keg that i keep a strainer bag on top forbreathing and to keep bugs out when iam working sour mash ill have to try my carboy good luck
Bring on the twister - I ain't skeered. Hurry put the still in the cellar.
swpeddle
Novice

Re: comments

Post by swpeddle »

[quote="Uncle Jesse"]Glass carboys are fine, but leave them in a dark place while fermenting.[/quote]

is darkness all THAT important? What's the result of too much light? (I ferment in a room with only a small north facing window so there's not alot of light, so I wouldn't think it makes that much difference, but I am curious.)
amikkola

Post by amikkola »

so you can safely use plastic as long as the it only touches low proof liquids?

would like... this is a bad example... but plastic milk jugs work?

that would make things easyer...
knuklehead
Rumrunner

Post by knuklehead »

Milk jugs will work fine for fermenting in, just a little small.
... I say God bless you, I don't say bless you ... I am not the Lord, I can't do that ...
Dane Cook
Johnwalkingfox

fermenting

Post by Johnwalkingfox »

A 55 gal drum with plastic liner is hard to beat.
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

yes

Post by Uncle Jesse »

it's important, you don't want light around during fermentation.

at least limit the amount of light allowed to get to your fermentations.
If only the best birds sang, the woods would be silent.
michaelb
Novice

Post by michaelb »

i use a 55 gallon drum used for water, it is blue in color. Cost $65 Called open head. That means the lid comes off. I dont use an airlock, I just set the lid on top.