backset

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

blind drunk
retired

backset

Post by blind drunk »

Just a quick question - does backset need to be refrigerated. I'm thinking not but just to make sure. Thanks, BD.
I do all my own stunts
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Re: backset

Post by Dnderhead »

no , it is so acid that not much will grow in it,,,some will grow on it, much like the old store pickles , if you can put it hot into a container
that will sterilize the container ,,cover ,,good to go, milk /cream cans ,,Conney kegs,are ideal.
Husker
retired

Post by Husker »

It does. It will spoil.

H.
Hillbilly Rebel: Unless you are one of the people on this site who are legalling distilling, keep a low profile, don't tell, don't sell.
IdahoMole
Novice

Post by IdahoMole »

I always keep mine in the chill chest and have never had a problem. But then again I have an extra frige and no wife so your situation may vary..... :wink:

Mole
Where's that confounded bridge?
Husker
retired

Post by Husker »

I have had it spoil, and once even had a 4L thick walled jug explode (very violently), when I took a couple jugs out of the fridge to hold some quartered deer, I did not have time to process right away. About a week sitting out, and kaboom.

Other times, I have had some sit out, that turned almost vicious (like a slime mold). I know the stuff 'should' be sterile, as it has been boiled, and it should be pretty low ph (acid), but backset being spoiled in storage has been what I have seen.

H.
Hillbilly Rebel: Unless you are one of the people on this site who are legalling distilling, keep a low profile, don't tell, don't sell.
eternalfrost
Trainee

Post by eternalfrost »

just curious, im still new to the pot stilling side. but why would you bother saving backset? seems like the only time you need it is making up a new batch, and the only time you need a new batch is after you just ran an old batch. seems like when you make it is when you need it.
bronzdragon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bronzdragon »

I usually keep a gallon of backset (i ferment 5 gal batches), and just fill a milk jug and freeze it. The day needed, pop it out and let it thaw.

As to the question about using backset, it's used in sour mash type whiskies. And if you're not going to make batches back to back, then you'll need to save it somehow.

I'd say freeze it if you need to keep it longer then a couple days. If you're going to use it in a couple days, I'd just stick it in the fridge.

~bd~
"If it weren't for the alcohol, beer would be a healthfood."
blind drunk
retired

Post by blind drunk »

Thanks to all. BD.
I do all my own stunts
junkyard dawg
Master of Distillation

Post by junkyard dawg »

maybe a little late with this, but I have poured it hot into a sanitized corny keg and sealed it up and put 10 or so pounds of co2 on top. It has always come out just like I put it in. maybe a little carbonated... I've done it a half dozen times. no problems yet. I am sure that it would spoil tho if you don't treat it right. I fill it all the way. no headroom. Be sure its still very hot, and be sure your keg is perfectly clean.
this is the internet
gravy
Novice

Post by gravy »

It can go a bit nasty.

When move the backset from the still back into the brewing barrel I add in the sugar for the next batch. The osmotic pressure from all that sugar makes it a pretty hostile place to live, but I don't wait too long before kicking off the next batch.

Gravy
pro65
Bootlegger

Post by pro65 »

If not doing a continuos run, I put it in a gallon milk jug and freeze it for using in my next mash. Most of the time if I am going to save it I will pour it over my sugar and let it disolve then pour that into the jugs and freeze.
Moonshine the flavor of the South.
blind drunk
retired

Post by blind drunk »

Must have had beginners luck because it kept perfect for about one month, in the cool-ish shed with the lid slightly open just in case it started to ferment or something fizzy. It actually tasted good too . :shock: Well, sort of good. This last backset, though, is very acidic. Nasty. Cheers, BD.
I do all my own stunts
blind drunk
retired

Post by blind drunk »

What do people do with backset from fruit? Same or different? Just running some wash and wondering what to do with it. I know what to do with grain backset. Cheers, bd.
I do all my own stunts
goose eye
Master of Distillation

Post by goose eye »

what proof is it cause unlessin it cider or grape it aint got much flaver left. dump a sack of rye or wheat
an suger in with the hot slops an work it off. wheat gonna let you carry more but ole boys got there druthers.

so im tole
blind drunk
retired

Post by blind drunk »

what proof is it cause unlessin it cider or grape it aint got much flaver left.
It's wine and other fruits. About 6 gallons worth. I have a bunch of rye meal so I'll give it a try. Thanks goose eye. bd.
I do all my own stunts
blind drunk
retired

Post by blind drunk »

I'm thinking of trying this; does it look OK? Thank you, bd.

7 gallons fruit/wine backset
8 gallons water
5kg sugar
6 kg diastatic malt extract
5 kg rye meal
wine yeast (what I have on hand right now)

!'ll be doing a conversion with the rye and malt
then as per normal
I do all my own stunts
Whitedog
Swill Maker

Post by Whitedog »

How'd this come out, BD?
blind drunk
retired

Post by blind drunk »

You know what Whiteddog, I got completely side tracked with UJSSM and rum that I didn't get to it. Also, I took a long break from the hobby :cry: I still have the fruit wine backset and I have lots of rye so maybe I'll get to it after all. Sorry I couldn't help out. Cheers, bd.
I do all my own stunts
Whitedog
Swill Maker

Post by Whitedog »

No worries, maybe you will get to it this time!! :) I would love to here how it turns out!
HapaMatt
Novice

Post by HapaMatt »

Is the backset too acidic to keep in a plastic jug like the ones you would get a gallon of water in?
Doobus
Novice

Post by Doobus »

Can the backset just be thrown away after distilling?