Complete modular reflux build

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

Professor
Novice

Complete modular reflux build

Post by Professor »

Went nuts on this one. Cost wasnt the consequence, just having something to build while off for covid. LM/ VM/ pot setup. Constructive criticism welcome. Any thoughts on separate valves and lines to each condenser or single loop through all in series?
869D819F-B0F7-4B4F-9F31-D9600FD45803.jpeg
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Re: Complete modular reflux build

Post by Yummyrum »

I like it except for one major issue .
To run in Pot still , I’m assuming you will remove the RC section and cap the top or the Tee .

Its the potential bomb that I don’t like with the valve inline with the liebig .
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Yummyrum wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:54 pm I like it except for one major issue .
To run in Pot still , I’m assuming you will remove the RC section and cap the top or the Tee .

Its the potential bomb that I don’t like with the valve inline with the liebig .
Install a 5PSI blow off valve in the dome on the boiler to rectify?
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Deplorable wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:48 pm Install a 5PSI blow off valve in the dome on the boiler to rectify?
Statement of this nature that are dangerous..

As still should never be built that would require the installation of blow off valve..

You need to take a step back and re-evaluate the statement, cause you have not comprehended / understood the safety required in distillation..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Add a copper union on either side of the VM valve. That way, you can eliminate it from the vapor line when configured as a potstill. Pay attention to the “male” and “female” end of the union when you do, so it mates properly. Otherwise, carry on.

Oh, I am curious how you welded the fittings to your boiler. They look a lot like Mig welded instead of TiG welded. If so, I hope you don’t get corrosion in the HAZ. TiG with Argon purging eliminates the oxidation during the weld process (often called “sugaring”). Fingers crossed for your reply.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
stillness
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by stillness »

What's the plan for the washing machine drums?
Professor
Novice

Post by Professor »

I have a cap to pull the RC and run as a pot with the valve wide open. I Tig welded the bell on the keg. Turned out pretty good. Had to stitch it to keep the bell from warping.
Professor
Novice

Post by Professor »

I make portable fire pits from the washer drums. Weld 3 couplers on the bottom for pipe legs, a slide plate cleanout, flat steel top to cook on and a pipe to on end where a short stack can go to divert the smoke.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

StillerBoy wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:28 pm
Deplorable wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:48 pm Install a 5PSI blow off valve in the dome on the boiler to rectify?
Statement of this nature that are dangerous..

As still should never be built that would require the installation of blow off valve..

You need to take a step back and re-evaluate the statement, cause you have not comprehended / understood the safety required in distillation..

Mars
Thanks. thats why I asked a question. You did see the question mark, right? I've often wondered why some prefab stills have a PRV and other do not. I was of the beleif that a properly built still didn't need one.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Deplorable wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:34 am thats why I asked a question. You did see the question mark, right?
The phrasing of the sentence is structured as a statement, and certainly not phrased as a question.. and ending a sentence using a period or a question mark, does chance the nature of the structured statement..
Deplorable wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:34 am I've often wondered why some prefab stills have a PRV and other do not. I was of the beleif that a properly built still didn't need one.
Had a proper research on the use of a PRV on a still as mention in the above statement, would of provided the answer as to why it was a dangerous statement, and that would of provide a clear answer and stop the wondering why or the stating of its usage..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Peace SB,
I feel like you're making assumptions that Im not reading much.
I can assure you that I have been scrubbng these forumns, using the search feature, and taking notes. Forgive me for asking questions and trying to gain insight when I dont understand what I preceive to be conflicting information. The only dumb question is one not asked. Thats how people screw things up, or worse, get hurt.
I dont know what I dont know, so I ask questions, and use the search bar at the top of the forums, which I must say is by far the best one i've seen of the forumns I frequent.
Not to hijack the OPs thread here but I felt a little attacked.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Professor wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:24 pm I have a cap to pull the RC and run as a pot with the valve wide open.
I suspected this was the case . The thing is that folk might copy your design and sooner or later someone will forget to not open the valve . We have to promote safe design and that is not .

You asked for constructive critism and have suggested that cost was no issue so my suggestion would be to solder the tri-clamp section together so that the VM/LM head is one inseperable unit and then make another 90° module that is a dedicated Pot section .... sure , reuse the liebig but never have a valve connected inine with a Pot head .
Professor wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:50 pm . Any thoughts on separate valves and lines to each condenser or single loop through all in series?
Run them in series , cold in the bottom of the Liebig .
Professor
Novice

Post by Professor »

Yummyrum, I put the triclamps in intentionally. I wanted to be able to remove the tee and valve and run it as a pure LM. The column can be changed out for something shorter or longer. The RC can be run direct off the boiler or on a shorter column. I built a short pot column with a tapered lyne arm already for dedicated pot runs. The idea behind this was to be able to change out any component and do some experimentation. I totally realize the safety implications and would not advise others to follow my footsteps. I deal with pressure systems and boilers in my job, so I respect it. Thanks for the advice on cooling flow and your candid criticism. I respect the sage wisdom.