My starter still

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

Dmcmullen
Novice

My starter still

Post by Dmcmullen »

Chinese pot still but it does everything I need it to do.
20210325_130007.jpg
20210325_171902.jpg
Nothing to see and nothing to hide.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: My starter still

Post by Deplorable »

You gonna get loved tenderly for that silicone tube off the worm. Change that out for a copper exstention.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

..... or, put a SS funnel in the jar.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Dmcmullen
Novice

Post by Dmcmullen »

I have already upgrade from that still to a reflux still i got tired of dealing with the leak in the lid.
Dmcmullen
Novice

Post by Dmcmullen »

Deplorable wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:46 pm You gonna get loved tenderly for that silicone tube off the worm. Change that out for a copper exstention.

Not worried about it i talked too a local brewery they have been using silicone gaskets and seals for years with no issues besides the alcohol never touches it.
Dmcmullen
Novice

Post by Dmcmullen »

still_stirrin wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:19 pm ..... or, put a SS funnel in the jar.
ss
That was the first accessory i bought after my hydrometer.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Dmcmullen wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:25 pm Not worried about it i talked too a local brewery they have been using silicone gaskets and seals for years with no issues besides the alcohol never touches it.
Members have been trying to nudge you gently in the right direction......You are NOT paying attention to what they are telling you!
This forum does not care what the "distillery down the road" thinks is right or wrong.

" These forums take a very strong negative view on the use of plastics and synthetics in distilling. It simply is not safe to use these during any part of the distillation process with the exception of HPDE buckets which are acceptable for fermentation. There simply are too many types of plastics and a lack of reliable information for us to reliably advocate their use anywhere in the distillation apparatus. Also, from past posting history, this topic seems to quickly boil down into an almost religious flame war. Thus we simply will not put up with it, and posts about any form of plastic use will be edited, deleted or locked. "
Dmcmullen
Novice

Post by Dmcmullen »

Okay don't get angry with me i didn't even bring up i just posted a picture and then got attacked because my water pump came with something that is apparently a touchy subject im brand new too to the forum member less then a week and kinda having second thoughts now about joining.
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

No-one's talking about the tubes carrying coolant, they're talking about the little stub of silicone hose coming off the end of the worm, where the distillate comes out.
"I have a potstill that smears like a fresh plowed coon on the highway" - Jimbo

A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

No body is getting angry with you ......I'm simply pointing out that the forum has rules and that members are expected to respect those rules.
Maybe you would like to take the time to read them, you can find them at the bottom of this page.
If I was getting angry there would be a 1 Next to your ID.
Dmcmullen wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:18 pm kinda having second thoughts now about joining.
Thats your choice, but I can tell you that if you do choose to stay you will learn more about the safe and proper ways of distilling than you will anywhere else. This forum has the combined knowledge of thousands of people from hundreds of places on earth that have spent countless hours building stills and then using those stills. You wont find that anywhere else.

By the way , NormandieStill is right , its not about your water pump lines.
Dmcmullen
Novice

Post by Dmcmullen »

NormandieStill wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:10 pm No-one's talking about the tubes carrying coolant, they're talking about the little stub of silicone hose coming off the end of the worm, where the distillate comes out.
I tossed that as soon as I purchased the ss jar funnels.
Kindafrench
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Kindafrench »

What material are all these gaskets made of? There could be a bunch of more silicon in the still. My flexible pipe for example, was delivered with silicon gaskets, well, they looked like. Your lids gaskets got the same colour. Please consider using flour paste instead of silicon if it‘s the case.
rubberduck71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rubberduck71 »

+1 to Kindafrench feedback

Another alternative is to wrap said gaskets in plumber's PTFE tape. I did this on my Digiboil conversion kit.

The main point to everyone's comments above is that the ABV% we're making our product at, alcohol becomes a solvent. Anything not PTFE/teflon will eventually break down & leak. And think about where that broken down material is going ---> into stuff you're consuming. Remember all the issues that breast implants caused? And what were they made of? That's right: SILICONE.

I'm also new here (just under 1 year). Some folks on here have forgotten more about this hobby than I'll ever learn. Just head into it knowing that & you'll be fine. Respect the long-timers, continue asking questions, but remember that search function in that blue bar in the top of the screen is your new best friend. 99% of the questions you have can be found with 5 min of effort.

Enjoy the ride,
Duck
There are two times of year: FOOTBALL SEASON and... Waiting For Football Season