First run on the pot still

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

ZeroTrousers
Novice

First run on the pot still

Post by ZeroTrousers »

This past weekend I was finally able to get my sacrificial and first beverage grade run done.

Following the sac run, everything got a nice thorough rinse and I charged the still with 4.5 gallons of corn based wash - kinda a hybrid between UJSSM and Booner's, did a corn mash using enzymes at roughly 2lbs/gal and then topped up the SG to hit my target with inverted sugar - I shot for 8% but my calc shows I hit 10%, yeast ran lower than anticipated.

Long story short, I ended up with a half gallon of feints proofed down to 40% for storage and quart and change of "good" product at 50% currently on oak. The plan is to roll the feints back into the next spirits run (partially following the UJSSM method). I'm sure I could have made tighter cuts and saved more product, but I'd rather toss what I don't 100% like into the feints jug and re-run it anyway.

Overall, perfect first run on the pot setup. I can see how the brewzilla/T500 type setup is somewhat limiting in the area of temp control, but I found that the 500w element combined with the jacket gave me decent enough production with what I would consider to be "good enough" separation of the fractions. I also received the highest praise I could expect after the first excursion - the wife has requested banana brandy :)
tjsc5f
Swill Maker

Re: First run on the pot still

Post by tjsc5f »

I bet you could open up your brewzilla and add an SCR to the big element pretty easily. Also note that this won't give you any temp control, but will give you power control to adjust takeoff rate.
ZeroTrousers
Novice

Post by ZeroTrousers »

tjsc5f wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 5:57 pm I bet you could open up your brewzilla and add an SCR to the big element pretty easily. Also note that this won't give you any temp control, but will give you power control to adjust takeoff rate.
I'm considering it, but given the trade I'm in i'll probably just build a full keg boiler. I know some guys who can do full sanitary TIG and know better than to ask questions :)
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Good on you for keeping to tight cuts in the beginning. There's plenty of time to soak it all in and widen your keep in the future.
One thing I'd suggest, is to not dilute your feints for storage. You'll save space, save water, and most importantly flavor when you put them into the next stripping run with fresh distillers beer.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
ZeroTrousers
Novice

Post by ZeroTrousers »

Thanks!

I was debating keeping the feints at the ~55% that they came off at, but decided on 30% mainly because I wanted to not store anything too high proof with where it's being kept - call it an overabundance of caution. That issue is soon to be resolved though, so I'll keep it in mind for future.

As far as my cuts, I was l a bit careless and cocky in collecting the late hearts run and didn't switch to smaller jars soon enough. I ended up with nearly a quart of really good tasting and smelling product that had this very nice and deep corn/grain that had a bit of a woody note in the aftertaste.

I think once I get into the swing of this my goal is to fill a 3g carboy and grab some crown stave pieces to age for a year or two. Probably run some rum or fruit brandy over the summer too.