First all grain question

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

Frankd0024
Novice

First all grain question

Post by Frankd0024 »

I picked up 2 lbs. of RAHR 2-Row Malted Barley.
What I am reading on the net says 2 row needs to be 15% of your bill.
If I do-
2 lbs - 2 row barley
5 lbs sweet frozen corn
2 lbs corn meal
2 lbs of rye bread or rye flower

do those amounts look correct?
If I did the math right that should be over 15% barley and I have amylase if I need it.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Re: First all grain question

Post by Twisted Brick »

If not using enzymes, I prefer 20% malt, but 15% will work (only slower) if everything else is handled properly. Not sure how much fermentable sugar is in your sweet corn, but considering its water weight, you're probably closer to 20%. Replacing the weight of your sweet corn with more cornmeal would be a good option, IMO. Gluco is good insurance.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Frankd0024
Novice

Post by Frankd0024 »

Twisted Brick wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 11:07 am If not using enzymes, I prefer 20% malt, but 15% will work (only slower) if everything else is handled properly. Not sure how much fermentable sugar is in your sweet corn, but considering its water weight, you're probably closer to 20%. Replacing the weight of your sweet corn with more cornmeal would be a good option, IMO. Gluco is good insurance.
I have 10 gallons of a sweet corn wash I am going to run this weekend. I used 10lbs corn, 20lbs table sugare and was on the 10 gallon mark with water. The sg was 1.098

And thank you for the advice on the corn meal
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Frankd0024 wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 10:28 am I picked up 2 lbs. of RAHR 2-Row Malted Barley.
If I do-
2 lbs - 2 row barley
5 lbs sweet frozen corn <— RU going to “mash” this?
2 lbs corn meal <— Is this gelatinized? Flaked maize (corn) is already gelatinized.
2 lbs of rye bread or rye flower <— Hope this doesn’t become a “brick” in your mash tun.

If I did the math right that should be over 15% barley and I have amylase if I need it.
Numbers look OK. But what’s your experience brewing beer, or otherwise?

This isn’t as easy as making a cake. You don’t just stir it up and wait for the end product. I suggest reading a home brew beer website forum for a lot of experience brewing a beer. Making an all-grain spirit starts with a “distiller’s beer”.

Yep…you gotta brew a beer first!
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Frankd0024
Novice

Post by Frankd0024 »

still_stirrin wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 2:08 pm
Frankd0024 wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 10:28 am I picked up 2 lbs. of RAHR 2-Row Malted Barley.
If I do-
2 lbs - 2 row barley
2 lbs corn meal <— Is this gelatinized? Flaked maize (corn) is already gelatinized.
2 lbs of rye bread or rye flower <— Hope this doesn’t become a “brick” in your mash tun.

This isn’t as easy as making a cake. You don’t just stir it up and wait for the end product. I suggest reading a home brew beer website forum for a lot of experience brewing a beer. Making an all-grain spirit starts with a “distiller’s beer”.

ss
Beer, None. I don't drink beer. Going on 3 years making wine. I know its not the same. I have done 8 or 9 runs of corn and sugar using BSG amylase to convert. I think I have about the same now with fruit and one rum run. This is the first time using a malt to convert. That is why I'm asking about the amounts.

Sweet corn - Yes, I will be mashing it.
Corn Meal - Don't know what I am going to use yet. Still looking in to it.
Rye bread/Flower - I have the same concern about it turning to a brick. I would use grain but neet to order it. The closest store to me is a 3 hour drive.
I am new to this but do my best to research things before making a bigger mess then normal
EricTheRed
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by EricTheRed »

Frankd0024 wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 3:51 pm
still_stirrin wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 2:08 pm
If I do-
2 lbs - 2 row barley

ss
Beer, None. I don't drink beer. Going on 3 years making wine. I know its not the same. I have done 8 or 9 runs of corn and sugar using BSG amylase to convert. I think I have about the same now with fruit and one rum run. This is the first time using a malt to convert. That is why I'm asking about the amounts.

Sweet corn - Yes, I will be mashing it.
Corn Meal - Don't know what I am going to use yet. Still looking in to it.
Rye bread/Flower - I have the same concern about it turning to a brick. I would use grain but neet to order it. The closest store to me is a 3 hour drive.
I am new to this but do my best to research things before making a bigger mess then normal
For your rye flour.
Mix 2.5kgs into 7 litres of COLD water
Mix really well
Makes a slurry like pancake batter.
Solves the lumping problem.
My fekking eyes are bleeding! Installed BS Filters - better! :D
Life has gotten interesting!
Frankd0024
Novice

Post by Frankd0024 »

10 lbs of sweet corn
1 loaf of rye bread
1/2 pound cornmeal (Found it in the pantry)
Got just under 5 galllons of wash from is with a SG of around 1.040
Had to add 4 pounds of sugar to get up to 1.078 ish.

I had a few mistakes along the way so it probably could have been a higher sg
hawkwing
Swill Maker

Post by hawkwing »

Mash temperatures are important. There is a target range where the enzymes work efficiently. Too high and you will denature them.
Ben
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Ben »

Read through this, there is info on mashing difficult/sticky grains, and the temps you need: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=84742
:)
Frankd0024
Novice

Post by Frankd0024 »

hawkwing wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 2:22 pm Mash temperatures are important. There is a target range where the enzymes work efficiently. Too high and you will denature them.
I did ok with the temps. I forgot about my ph and think it was to much water.
on the other hand it fermented out in 2 days.
hawkwing
Swill Maker

Post by hawkwing »

Oh yes citric acid powder is easy to adjust ph when you start. Eventually you might start saving the backset out of the still and make a sour mash.
Ben
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Ben »

hawkwing wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 6:18 pm Oh yes citric acid powder is easy to adjust ph when you start. Eventually you might start saving the backset out of the still and make a sour mash.
Adding citric acid if you don't know your base water chemistry is shooting in the dark.
hawkwing
Swill Maker

Post by hawkwing »

Well you should be testing the ph add a little, test and adjust. Repeat until happy.
Frankd0024
Novice

Post by Frankd0024 »

Thany you for the advice on the beer. I don't plan on making any but looking at videos and forums is going to be a 1000% help
Ben
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Ben »

Frankd0024 wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:10 am

Thany you for the advice on the beer. I don't plan on making any but looking at videos and forums is going to be a 1000% help
What he is saying is an all grain mash is making a beer. The only difference between making a distillers beer and a brewers beer is the hops, and what happens after it leaves the fermenter.
EricTheRed
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by EricTheRed »

Ben wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:49 am
Frankd0024 wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:10 am

What he is saying is an all grain mash is making a beer. The only difference between making a distillers beer and a brewers beer is the hops, and what happens after it leaves the fermenter.
and a few other things like on or off grain fermenting, the excessive sanitation not being required, the full conversion of starches, the boiling, :)
I've done all grain beers (PITA) - whiskey is easier to make the 'beer' for! :)
My fekking eyes are bleeding! Installed BS Filters - better! :D
Life has gotten interesting!