First Try at Rum

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

Kruegerfan
Novice

Re: First Try at Rum

Post by Kruegerfan »

Trapped-in-Oz wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 3:28 pm

support copper plates on stainless steal threaded rods (tripod)

Genius. Will defo do that. Ran that sugar wash at the weekend. Doubling the tomato paste worked a treat. Cleanest sugar wash I've ever done. Thanks bud. I actually rolled up a length of copper mesh and threaded it through the condenser worm as far as it would go. Worked a treat. Also slowed down the offtake slightly as well.

Even got a tiny bit of the rum flavour coming through from the previous wash. Tastes delicious.

Did the LME wash at the weekend as well. Used Allinsons dry active yeast. Added a teaspoon of DAP, a pinch of Epsom salts and made a yeast starter. It took off like a rocket and has fermented 50 gravity points in just 2 days. Can't wait to see how it turns out. Will hopefully be able to run it this weekend
Trapped-in-Oz
Swill Maker

Post by Trapped-in-Oz »

Kruegerfan wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:15 am

LME wash ... Allinsons dry active yeast. Added a teaspoon of DAP

a teaspoon of DAP is a lot (more than 4 g) of unnecessary DAP

why is Allinsons called ‘active' yeast ?

Kruegerfan
Novice

Post by Kruegerfan »

Trapped-in-Oz wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:31 am

a teaspoon of DAP is a lot (more than 4 g) of unnecessary DAP

why is Allinsons called ‘active' yeast ?

I know it's quite a bit, but the yeast is having a party so it definitely hasn't hurt. No idea why they call this one dry active yeast. They have a few types - Easy bake, dry active, and these little sachet things. Here it is, and at £1.20 for 125 grams, it's the cheapest yeast I've ever used.

[attachment=0]image.png[/attachment}
Attachments
image.png
Trapped-in-Oz
Swill Maker

Post by Trapped-in-Oz »

Kruegerfan wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:47 am

having a party so it definitely hasn't hurt

perhaps unused DAP residue is not something you want

does this ‘active’ have any additional ingredient ?

Kruegerfan
Novice

Post by Kruegerfan »

Trapped-in-Oz wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:58 am

perhaps unused DAP residue is not something you want

does this ‘active’ have any additional ingredient ?

Thanks mate. Will save the DAP for the sugar washes in future. Just looked at the yeast tin. The actual yeast is Saccharomyces Cerevisiae and the only other ingredient is Sorbitan Monostearate which is some sort of emulsifier.

I've seen a lot of people using it for beers and a few for whiskeys and rums with great results. I guess time will tell if it works for me.
Kruegerfan
Novice

Post by Kruegerfan »

Just found this online as well

The strain of Saccharomyces cerevisiae employed in whisky fermentations is crucially important not only in terms of ethanol yields, but also for production of minor yeast metabolites which collectively contribute to development of spirit flavour and aroma characteristics
Trapped-in-Oz
Swill Maker

Post by Trapped-in-Oz »

sorbitan monostearate is synthetic ester... E491

still wondering why they call it 'active'.... think of a non-active yeast!

Kruegerfan
Novice

Post by Kruegerfan »

I know. I think they're saying it's active because of the sorbitan monostearate as it aids in hydrating the yeast quicker. That's the only thing I can think of. Think of D.A.D.Y. They call that an active dried yeast. Seems to be working anyway which is all I'm bothered about, and also how cheap it is. The starter went nuts. Almost foamed over within 30 mins and I had it in a fair sized mason jar.

Hopefully the ester won't give too many funky flavours. Wash smells great right now BTW
Kruegerfan
Novice

Post by Kruegerfan »

So, just stripping my first LME wash, and I'm a bit confused, or maybe just thick. LOL

Ferment stopped at 1.0010 so still a little sugar left. Didn't puke though cos I ran it relatively slowly for a stripping run, but the low wines basically just smell like lightly roasted malt and really tailsy.

Do you think the spirit run will come out better? I seriously hope so. Also, the copper plates I ordered didn't arrive. Raging. Have to wait for a refund and order from someone else, but used the rolled mesh in the condenser worm and it works a treat. You can definitely tell it's been used and is having an effect.

FYI, I filled the air still almost to the top, with residual sugars still in the wash, and still had no puking, so my copper coins in the bottom of the pot are definitely doing something. Think they act a bit like a diffuser plate, so I'm gonna keep using them. Will update on the state of the whiskey through the ageing process, or can I call it whisky without the E cos I made it in Scotland? LOL
Trapped-in-Oz
Swill Maker

Post by Trapped-in-Oz »

Kruegerfan wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:22 am
LME wash...

still a little sugar left... with residual sugars still in the wash, and still had no puking

Strips are all tails and heads….. is the spirit run that matters…… copper coins in the bottom are a nonsense (imo)….. malt needs copper in the vapour…….. gravity is always interesting to record but it is the look and taste that decides the ferment.

Was this an all LME (no sugar) ?

still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Kruegerfan wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:22 am… FYI, I filled the air still almost to the top, with residual sugars still in the wash, and still had no puking, so my copper coins in the bottom of the pot are definitely doing something. Think they act a bit like a diffuser plate, so I'm gonna keep using them…
The copper coins must be acting as “boiling chips”, creating a surface for the phase change (liquid to vapor) to occur. The molecules “nucleate” and a bubble forms, and then rises to the surface. Local “hots spots” help this chemical process as the copper tends to conduct the heat quicker than the liquid itself. This technique is often used in laboratory distillation.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Trapped-in-Oz
Swill Maker

Post by Trapped-in-Oz »

still_stirrin wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:15 am
technique is often used in laboratory distillation.

would laboratory distillation be using glass vessels ?

Kruegerfan
Novice

Post by Kruegerfan »

Trapped-in-Oz wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:01 am

Strips are all tails and heads….. is the spirit run that matters…… copper coins in the bottom are a nonsense (imo)….. malt needs copper in the vapour…….. gravity is always interesting to record but it is the look and taste that decides the ferment.

Was this an all LME (no sugar) ?

Hiya, yeah. All LME wash with no extra sugar. Did what you advised. 3kg of LME in a 9 litre wash with no extra sugar or or water for extra volume.

2 stripping runs and 1 spirit run. Collected in small jars and glasses. Ended up with 960ml of hearts (with a little heads and tails) at 61%. Now ageing on oak.

The copper material in the pot itself I agree won't do anything in regard to reacting with the wash because it's not in the vapour path. I just use them as boil enhancers and it definitely minimises or stops foaming/puking.

The copper mesh I've threaded through the condenser seems to be working as it had significantly changed colour after the run, so it must be getting some decent reaction.

Force ageing a 200ml sample of this on charred oak chips while I'm waiting for my staves to arrive. Done 3 hot and cold cycles and you can already smell the difference. How long do you age your LME whiskey on staves or Dominoes mate?
Trapped-in-Oz
Swill Maker

Post by Trapped-in-Oz »

Kruegerfan wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:44 pm
Ended up with 960ml

How long do you age your LME

Your LME has high sugars or did you use glucoaamyase ?…...... from 3 kg of LME my usual is between 650 to 810ml at 60% (and that is with some of the tails carried over from the previous).

I oak for a total of 6 weeks with one domino of between 16 to 21 g which usual sinks at about 1 week….. after 2 weeks I start once daily warming the jar in hot water up to about 45 to 50 C for an hour……. at the start of the 4th week I let it rest….. on the 28th day I add water (rainwater) to 50% for one week…. on the 35th day add water to 40%…… and on the 42th day - it’s in the bottle.

Kruegerfan
Novice

Post by Kruegerfan »

Trapped-in-Oz wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:24 am

Your LME has high sugars or did you use glucoaamyase ?…...... from 3 kg of LME my usual is between 650 to 810ml at 60% (and that is with some of the tails carried over from the previous).

I oak for a total of 6 weeks with one domino of between 16 to 21 g which usual sinks at about 1 week….. after 2 weeks I start once daily warming the jar in hot water up to about 45 to 50 C for an hour……. at the start of the 4th week I let it rest….. on the 28th day I add water (rainwater) to 50% for one week…. on the 35th day add water to 40%…… and on the 42th day - it’s in the bottle.

Didn't use any glucoamylase. I threw some feints in from my previous 2 sugar washes which would probably account for the extra volume. My cuts are also pretty loose being pretty much a noob at this, cos apart from my rum, this is the first wash I have tried that wasn't just sugar and nutrients.

Great tips on your ageing. Thanks so much for sharing. I was thinking maybe a couple of months or more, but if you can get a decent drink in 6 weeks with some hot and cold cycles throughout, I'm well up for that. Just wish there was somewhere to get the LME even just a little bit cheaper
Trapped-in-Oz
Swill Maker

Post by Trapped-in-Oz »

Kruegerfan wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:21 am
threw some feints in from my previous

wish there was somewhere to get the LME even just a little bit cheaper

If your feints include heads, would caution against re-introducing them in an air still… perhaps okay in a column… but air-pots have slur.

Sure can also do half LME with half sugar….. for all LME I have inclined towards using light/pale malts…..... for half LME can consider dark LME or perhaps a Caramalt.

I’ve been using two brands of unhopped LME:

Morgan’s 1.5kg tins:
Roasted Dark
Pale
Extra Pale
Caramalt
Wheat

Coopers 1.5kg tins:
Dark
Amber
Light
Wheat

And the only conclusion I have reached is that Morgan’s always yields more whiskey than Coopers………… but I not yet introduced the use of glucoamylase (will start on that next week).

shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Trapped-in-Oz wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:05 pm

Sure can also do half LME with half sugar….. for all LME I have inclined towards using light/pale malts…..... for half LME can consider dark LME or perhaps a Caramalt.
Rumski
LME and molasses with a SG of 1.08ish
Trapped-in-Oz
Swill Maker

Post by Trapped-in-Oz »

shadylane wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:34 pm

Rumski
LME and molasses

sometimes the possible is best left undone............... but I take your point... a rum thread that goes on and on about LME

Kruegerfan
Novice

Post by Kruegerfan »

Trapped-in-Oz wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:05 pm
If your feints include heads, would caution against re-introducing them in an air still… perhaps okay in a column… but air-pots have slur.

I’ve been using two brands of unhopped LME:

Morgan’s 1.5kg tins:
Roasted Dark
Pale
Extra Pale
Caramalt
Wheat

Coopers 1.5kg tins:
Dark
Amber
Light
Wheat

And the only conclusion I have reached is that Morgan’s always yields more whiskey than Coopers………… but I not yet introduced the use of glucoamylase (will start on that next week).

Thanks TIO. I think I have taken too many heads in the final product as it has quite a sharp bite. I definitely need to get more experienced at taking tighter cuts, but I know that will come in time. Hoping the ageing will mellow that a bit. Will defo take a look at the Morgan's Caramalt. Seems like that might yield a nice flavour profile. Will move all future posts in regard to this into the LME thread I started last week as I do agree it seems daft to continue talking about this in a rum thread. Thanks guys. Have you made that hybrid rumski Shady?

Back to the rum. Ordered that 7kg carton of Lyle's black treacle so will make a start on that next week. Fire a post in my LME thread about how you get on using the glucoamylase and if you get any more ABV out of the LME. Will be interesting to see if it has the desired effect
Trapped-in-Oz
Swill Maker

Post by Trapped-in-Oz »

Kruegerfan wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:13 am

about how you get on using the glucoamylase

As glucoamylase has been discussed in the ~‘Liquid malt extract for cheap’~ thread I will post my glucoamylase comparison at………... viewtopic.php?f=15&t=77328&start=30#p7713336

Trapped-in-Oz
Swill Maker

Post by Trapped-in-Oz »

on-topic picture:

10th generation Tails of Molasses – 42% to 20%, ten days in the jar.

Kruegerfan
Novice

Post by Kruegerfan »

Trapped-in-Oz wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:56 am on-topic picture:

10th generation Tails of Molasses – 42% to 20%, ten days in the jar.

Hmmm. Floaty :lol: . Not done any more rum yet.

Trying the cornflake whiskey recipe in tried and true. Took off like a rocket on Saturday and still bubbling away really well. Cannae wait to see what it turns out like. Nice and simple and apparently very tasty.

LME whiskey seems to be coming along nicely as well. Stopped the forced ageing and now just letting it sit. It's defo starting to transform, so can't wait to see what it's like in 3 or 4 weeks
ratdog01
Novice

Post by ratdog01 »

Hi
great to see another brit on here , if you are after molasses try bako of london they will post it out to you in 25 kg tubs for about £60 last time i had some in jan 22
try checking out local catering wholesalers on line you can get sugar in 25kg bags and all manor of goodies for brewing and making washes .
enjoy and thanks for a good post
RD01