Feedback on my (soon to be) first still.

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

LewisM
Novice

Feedback on my (soon to be) first still.

Post by LewisM »

Hello, first post at what looks like a very helpful forum :)

A few years back I spent a few months trying my hand at brewing beer, but due to moving into a smaller living space had to pack the hobby in :(
Now I've got some space / time available again I've decided I'd really like to try my hand at distilling, obviously to keep big brother happy I'm talking about distilling my own, extra pure water in these posts ;)

I've spent hours today reading up on stills, techniques, do's and dont's, it's been an educational day to say the least heh. After all this reading I've decided to buy a ready made still for a first set up, then once I've got a bit of experience under my belt maybe look into building one.

With that said I'm thinking of getting this one;
Euro 5

Followed by this filter set up;
Carbon Treatment
Filtering System

And then these general goods;
(I've already got a normal Hydrometer)
Spirit Hydrometer
6 Gallon PET Carboy
Airlock
2 metres Silicon Hose

Which I think is just about everything :)
Thoughts on this set up? Anything worth buying / scrapping?

Thanks in advance!
rad14701
retired

Re: Feedback on my (soon to be) first still.

Post by rad14701 »

Before you spend one cent, take some time to read the parent site and these forums... You can do much better...

First, those Coolant Management stills are of an older and very poor design... Don't let the shiny stainless steel WOW you...

Second, properly fermented and distilled wash does not require carbon filtering...

The claims you are reading are associated with the use of turbo yeast and greedily shooting for a high alcohol ferment... This just isn't going to be a good combination... Far too many members have started out along this same path only to learn that it becomes too difficult and costly to make a turbo wash into something drinkable...

Do your research... You're where you need to be...

Ask plenty of questions along the way... We're here to help you not make the same mistakes others have made...

If at all possible, build your own still for far less than the cost of buying... The satisfaction will be greater in the long run...

NEVER believe online or brew shop claims about turbo yeast... They just want as much of your money as they can get you to part with...

Welcome, and good luck...
LewisM
Novice

Post by LewisM »

Thanks for the feedback Rad.

I saw carbon filtering mentioned on a few of the guides I read and presumed it was a good idea. Once the initial (relatively small) expenditure is made if it can improve the flavour of batches for very little cost is it not worth investing in?

As for turbo yeast: I've heard nothing but bad things about it, will definitely be avoiding it if possible. On the subject of yeast, are there any specific types recommended for the novice distiller? I'm sure it's posted somewhere here, just thought I'd ask while typing :)

And finally the still, my main issue is not being able to weld. Still I'll have a read around the forums and see what I can find.
Braz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Braz »

Welding skill is not necessary, unless you are working with stainless. If you use copper you can get by with soldering using an inexpensive propane torch. A little practice with some copper pipe, fittings and a few bucks worth of lead free solder and you'll be soldering like a pro.

Braz
Braz
WalkingWolf
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by WalkingWolf »

LewisM welcome and be glad you got here BEFORE you bought the above mentioned paraphenalia (sp?)

Dude, you are EXACTLY where I was a couple of months ago except you got here before you bought inadequate equipment that you will end up upgrading anyway. I dropped $250.00 on a crappy lil 3/4 inch pipe on a 4 gal pot. I learned to solder by taking the thing apart and making a servicable potstill out of it (AKA Lil' Sparkey). In the process I transformed from "hell-bent-for-leather" enthusiasm to a more read and somewhat knowledgable (I use this term extremely loosely) in the fine art spirit production. I have run a couple of sugar washes up to this point and am currently building a slant plate column. I did not know how to solder either but you will learn as you progress. I recently completed my first parrot and coil with cold-finger. Just this morning I was speaking to a close friend of mine and expressing the satisfaction of soldering, what I considered the difficult connection of the bottom of the coil to the bottom of the cold-finger. Without boring you anymore on the details, what the others have said is most assuredly correct, you will gain much more from this endeavor if you proceed as you have been advised to. If what you are after is quick cheap alcohol, by all means go to a liquor store. You will find all you need on the forums to produce a product that you will be proud to drink as well as serve.

WalkingWolf
LewisM
Novice

Post by LewisM »

Thanks again for all the advice, looks like it's saved me a lot of time / effort :)

I'll have to delve a little deeper into still design before laying down any cash, a few late nights ahead I'd say.

One quick question on still design: I had a look around for the 10 gallon steel milk churns as advised in the guide I was reading, turns out they're worth their weight in gold to UK buyers.
There are however quite a few aluminium ones, would this still be ok?

Also how tight does the lid of the pot need to be? Getting an airtight seal with just a metal pot / lid is going to be hard, any recommendations?
vicrider
Swill Maker

Post by vicrider »

First, you are in the right place to learn stuff. Unless you have a bottomless wallet, don't jump in buying stuff with both feet. Start by reading, ask some questions, read, ask more questions, then read some more. THEN buy the bare minimum you need to get started. You will learn as you go, and will probably change your mind about some of the things you think you know and you will get things you probably hadn't thought of at first. Don't ask how I know. :wink:

I think aluminum is a no no. Stainless or copper.

The seal you get is extremely important. NO leaks or the still can't do its job. You can either make a gasket, or you can use what lots of folks use, including me, flour and water paste. Sounds funny but it works.

Good luck
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed."
LewisM
Novice

Post by LewisM »

Back to the drawing board then, a final word of thanks :)
Nemo
Novice

Post by Nemo »

Another welcome aboard chum.
I have just built myself a still from the free plans online using the milk can, (e-bay, $45.00 with a few small dents) and the internal reflux through pipes. It works pretty good but I already have started on upgrades to it. The sealing on the milk can was a bear. Of course I didn't believe that nonsense about using dough to seal anything. I made a cork gasket, tried that out, leaked like mad. Put some foam weather strip under the gasket, then used nylon cord tied to the handles and a broomstick to twist it tighten it down. Almost cured the leaks. Well, I was disgusted, go back and read the directions in all the posts. Made some dough from flower and water. laid a finger size coil of dough inside the lid, squeezed it on and it held! Who would have believed it? Oddest thing I ever saw. I have since run 5 batches through this thing and never a leak. I am sitting here now sipping on my third Bourbon and Coke from my last brew. It is all of 48 hours old and I just cant wait for it to age properly. Even so, not bad at all. Two more gallons in the shed getting older.
By all means make your own. Mabey buy the boiler, make the column or sub it out to a plumber. You would have a hgher quality still at less cost and with a better product but without the flashy looks.
Just to be on the safe side though, dont tell, dont sell and dont show it off. It's tough, I know, I'm going through the same phase.
Good luck with your new hobby, This forum is addicting, lots of info here, friends too!
Nemo