First wash wineos plain sugar

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

Roughneck
Novice

First wash wineos plain sugar

Post by Roughneck »

Ran a winoes plain sugar wash today my first run on the new still 12 gal water 16 pounds sugar fermented for about 7 days let it rest for 2 "got impatient" had started to clear some but was still somewhat cloudy.
2 3/8 stainless boka 40" to take off plate packed with stainless scrubbers.
Took off 2 cups of foreshots temp guage was reading about 176 177 deg
Temp settled down to 174 deg and started taking off the heads took off about 3/4 of a liter, temp held a steady 174 deg checked the abv was 90 or 180 proof was taking off at just under a steady stream just drips
Switched to my hearts bottle and collected 3 liters temp finally started to rise so i switched to my tails bottle and tested the hearts same 90 abv 180 proof
collected just under a half liter of tails befor the temp got to around 210 deg tested output was at 50 abv or 100 proof

so in all off 12 gal wash got 3 liters of 90 abv 180 proof will run the tails into my next batch.
I can smell a hint of the yeast in the finale product since i did not let it go to the 14th day to settle , i used distillers yeast, tastes great not at all unpleasant but it is present .Next batch i think i will let it go to 14 days see if that goes away all together .

Started the next batch off what i did not rack out of the first one and started bubbling away within a hour of starting the batch.

All in all was very happy with over 4 litters total output and 3 solid liters of good 180 proof!
Total run time was 6 hours from start to finish
Plan on flavoring one liter with some peaches i have in the freezer from my tree this year.