This is my first double helix coil

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

bullpeters
Novice

This is my first double helix coil

Post by bullpeters »

Hey, my first coil. Probably took an hour to make and and hour of making it "right". It was very easy. I am not blowing my own horn, i agonised over this for a couple of weeks, reading, thinking, reading.....In the end i had a couple of drinks and had a go. The first turn is abit daunting, but the rest is very easy. No heat, no salt, just keep a very steady "pull on the pipe", "push on the mandrel". Equal pressure on both sides. I used a door spring for the 90 after all the coils. Again, i am not saying how great i am, i am saying If you are intimidated by winding a coil like this, its really not that hard....geez if i did it
I would love to post a photo but i cant figure out how to resize the image
mick
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut sometimes!
harmca
Novice

Re: This is my first double helix coil

Post by harmca »

open in pant -go to image and resize
banter_king
Swill Maker

Post by banter_king »

congratulations! i had a similar experience. The best advice i read on here was take it slow. Mine doesn't look to smooth above the coils itself as i wasn't really concerned with the 90 degrees off the top. I got a bit of flattening but the flow is more than enough. Patience is the key.
Knee deep in the cool and soothing waters of ol' Cripple Creek
bullpeters
Novice

Post by bullpeters »

YeaH, i agree, i could do better, my point is "have a Go", and forget the fear factor. 'Cause i havent tried it yet, might not work :shock:
easier to wind the coil then post the photo!!!!
Attachments
double helix.jpg
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

bullpeters, that condenser looks good and should work well... If you can pass air through it, or run at least a liter of water per minute, you're good to go...
bullpeters
Novice

Post by bullpeters »

I am honoured to receive a complement from you. You post some intimidating replies at times. I am building a 2" version of the still in your signature. I have posted a question in the reflux still thread and would love your feed back
Mick
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Nice job on the coil, we have some great tutorials on this site that make it easier for those that have very little experience as was my case a year ago when I started building my still.