My first still

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

NC_redcock
Site Donor
Site Donor

My first still

Post by NC_redcock »

Just wanted to share a pic of my still, it ain't much but it seems to work pretty well. When I was researching what type of still to get, I didn't want to steer to far from traditional so I decided to go with a pot still. As I grow in the hobby after more research I may decide to go with a reflux.
still.JPG
I have since learned that the thermometer is really only good for plugging the hole in the pot, I am getting used to going by taste and smell rather than relying on temperature which can be almost impossible when running a pot still from my limited experience. I would like to place a small drain valve near the bottom of the worm can to make draining and refilling with cool water a little easier, but I've been so busy making the stuff, I just haven't got around to it yet. I'm always open for suggestions on how I can improve and welcome any thing that will make this experience for me more successful and enjoyable.

Redcock
Well in North Carolina way back in the hills lived old pappy an' he had him a still...
bellybuster
Master of Distillation

Re: My first still

Post by bellybuster »

nice looking pot there.
a constant flow of cool water into your flake stand would be huge improvement. In the bottom, out the top.
I just love the looks of the traditional all copper pot stills.
NC_redcock
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NC_redcock »

In the bottom out the top??? I never thought about it but it makes perfect sense, thanks for saying that. I have used it quite a bit more since this pic and its starting to get all kinds of red tones in the copper, simply gorgeous in my humble opinion.
Well in North Carolina way back in the hills lived old pappy an' he had him a still...
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

NC_redcock wrote:In the bottom out the top??? I never thought about it but it makes perfect sense, thanks for saying that. I have used it quite a bit more since this pic and its starting to get all kinds of red tones in the copper, simply gorgeous in my humble opinion.
I will also say nice job on the still, copper now days is very expensive. when you built the height of the still looks like you did it in sections, what type of seam did you use?
When cooling your still you should have the water going in the opposite direct of your vapor on the product condenser, so yes from bottom to top!
bellybuster
Master of Distillation

Post by bellybuster »

Bushman, Im thinking what looks like sections is just a rolled bead for strength. ?
bellybuster
Master of Distillation

Post by bellybuster »

looking at pics again, think I might be wrong.
NC_redcock
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NC_redcock »

Fellas, I didn't make this one, bought it from a fella in Georgia who makes them on the side for cash. The pot is one piece with a vertical seem.
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

NC_redcock wrote:In the bottom out the top??? I never thought about it but it makes perfect sense, thanks for saying that. I have used it quite a bit more since this pic and its starting to get all kinds of red tones in the copper, simply gorgeous in my humble opinion.

Yeah NC, put a drain line near the top of your worm bucket and you can just run a hose in it down to the bottom. When the top starts getting hot, add a little water to the bottom and the hot water will drain off the top. It will save you water and keep the cooling gradient even.

Looks like a pretty nice setup though. :clap:

(PS, make sure you tell everyone that plastic hose on your take off is just on there for a cleaning run and not for collecting spirits so you don't get flamed! :shh: )
LM Still Operating Instructions
Cranky's New Distiller's Advice
Using Google Search

Drinking Rum before noon makes you a Pirate not an alcoholic.
NC_redcock
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NC_redcock »

Hound Dog wrote:

Yeah NC, put a drain line near the top of your worm bucket and you can just run a hose in it down to the bottom. When the top starts getting hot, add a little water to the bottom and the hot water will drain off the top. It will save you water and keep the cooling gradient even.

Looks like a pretty nice setup though. :clap:

(PS, make sure you tell everyone that plastic hose on your take off is just on there for a cleaning run and not for collecting spirits so you don't get flamed! :shh: )
Good catch Hound Dog, After reading the safety portion of HD I removed the plastic and haven't used it since...good eye though. Thanks.
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

I see you have it sitting on what looks like an electric stove. That's not a good heat source. Electric stove elements cycle on and off. You need a constant heat source that can be controlled - gas burner or internal electric element w/voltage controller.

Good lookin' rig.

S-C
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
NC_redcock
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NC_redcock »

unfortunately, I live right in town and a gas burner is not an option, I might just set it up on my woodstove one night to give it a try, don't know how it will work but I suppose its the way the old timers did it.
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

NC_redcock wrote:unfortunately, I live right in town and a gas burner is not an option, I might just set it up on my woodstove one night to give it a try, don't know how it will work but I suppose its the way the old timers did it.
Might work if you can get it hot enough to bring it to a boil. Although, it might be a little difficult to control after reaching a boil - that is, how would you raise or lower the heat?

S-C
bellybuster
Master of Distillation

Post by bellybuster »

if you must run on the stove get a 1/4" thick piece of steel to minimize the on/off effect of the stove element. The steel will hold some of the heat when the element cycles off.
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

Just thought of something. If the electric cook top is all you have, you might get a little better control with a defuser - a thick piece of sheet metal between the burner and the boiler. This will even out the heat changes from the cycling a bit. Still not the best solution, but it might help.

S-C

Posted while Bellybuster was posting.
NC_redcock
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NC_redcock »

S-Cackalacky wrote:Just thought of something. If the electric cook top is all you have, you might get a little better control with a defuser - a thick piece of sheet metal between the burner and the boiler. This will even out the heat changes from the cycling a bit. Still not the best solution, but it might help.

S-C

Posted while Bellybuster was posting.
Excellent idea, I don't know why I didn't think of a heat sink, i'll give it a shot.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

If you get your wood heating stove hot enough to run your boiler you will get the house so hot that you will be stilling nekkid after all the other folks have left the house . A wood cook stove is a totally different deal . They are designed to cook and not add a lot of heat to the living area .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
blanikdog
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by blanikdog »

NC_redcock wrote:Just wanted to share a pic of my still, it ain't much but it seems to work pretty well. When I was researching what type of still to get, I didn't want to steer to far from traditional so I decided to go with a pot still. As I grow in the hobby after more research I may decide to go with a reflux.
still.JPG
I have since learned that the thermometer is really only good for plugging the hole in the pot, I am getting used to going by taste and smell rather than relying on temperature which can be almost impossible when running a pot still from my limited experience. I would like to place a small drain valve near the bottom of the worm can to make draining and refilling with cool water a little easier, but I've been so busy making the stuff, I just haven't got around to it yet. I'm always open for suggestions on how I can improve and welcome any thing that will make this experience for me more successful and enjoyable.

Redcock
Now you're talking. A pot still - without a thermometer - made me many gallons of great Millet whisky, rum, gin and eau de vie which can be very easily turned into almost anything. Making spirits can be as easy or as difficult as you choose. There are two ways of making likker, the easy way which is hard and the hard way which is fucking hard. Go for the easy way. Pot stills are the best, however electric heating is a problem and not worth bothering with. Gas is easy and reliable. And you need a constant flow of cooling water in your condenser!!! In my humble opinion of course.
Simple potstiller. Slow, single run.
(50 litre, propane heated pot still. Coil in bucket condenser - No thermometer, No carbon)
The Reading Lounge AND the Rules We Live By should be compulsory reading

Cumudgeon and loving it.
NC_redcock
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NC_redcock »

I have an old 1940's fisher stove, got the hot plate for cooking but easily heats the whole house, actually my only source of heat, wouldn't have it any other way...