My First AllGrain Bill

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

ron71157
Site Donor
Site Donor

My First AllGrain Bill

Post by ron71157 »

Today..well yesterday mashed my first AG bill:

8 lbs flaked maize
2 lbs 6-row crushed barley
1 tsp gypsum
1 tsp amylase

started with 4 gallons of water from my local glacier water vending machine. Brought it up to 165 in my big old pot with the tsp of gypsum. poured in the maize and stirred until the temperature dropped to 152 about 15 minutes....then stirred in the barley and the amylase. At that point the temp was about 149. Jacketed the pot with a down vest and stirred every 15 minutes. After 90 minutes the temp was 138 and the SG was 1.06. So far so good. Transferred it to my fermenter and stirred every 30 minugtes or so until the temp dropped to 95..about 3 hours; pitched 1/3 cup bread yeast. Let It hydrate for 20 minutes and then stirred it in real good. put my heater on the bucket at 75 degrees and this morning bubbling nicely.

Very excited to see how this goes
I wake up every morning at the crack of ice
Theo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: My First AllGrain Bill

Post by Theo »

Flaked maize might gelatinize at 165 in 15 minutes, because flaked grain is steamed (cooked) before it is rolled into flakes. If it doesn't fully convert, try more temp & more time.

The 1.06 SG means you did a good job of getting the starch into solution.

I use coarse corn meal, soak it at 195 for 2-3 hours works for me.

Good luck! :thumbup:
Still happy, Still learning, Still reading
Theo

New distiller reading lounge. http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=46
ron71157
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ron71157 »

Well,

Its been tree days and still bubbling. a nice cap has formed; should I wait for it to fall ?

RP
ron71157
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ron71157 »

Well the cap has fallen and a nice finish at 1.0099. separated the grain out and has cleared nicely will run it tomorrow WAHOO!!
ron71157
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ron71157 »

cooked my 5 gallons and ended up with 48 ozs at 110 proof. cooked different from the sugar washes I've done...probably operator inconsistencies or the ABV was a lot less. anyway lots of corn flavor and absolutely no ill effects after some serious sampling. smelled delicious this morning. No more sugar heads for this kid.. I think I'll just drink this batch green as it is and then start flavoring the next brew now that I have some backset. cherrywood sounds nice thanks barleyfan!! :ebiggrin: