somewhere in the woods

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

goose eye
Master of Distillation

Re: somewhere in the woods

Post by goose eye »

Dam son after 4 years an you can't let go.
I know all bout them no it all that do somethin four for years an they ready to rite a book or make a vedio like Marvin did. Like runin a water hose or shootin the breeze.
Sure that ole boy that done marvins would be interested.
I'm to old an tired to care for such thangs but sure you set store by em.
You done good son an wish you continued success.

So I'm tole
deer_farmer
Novice

Post by deer_farmer »

I not talking tradition I live it and make it...it been a good ride the last four years,i hope for another four years somewhere in the woods...how can it get better?i don't think it can...good luck to all here on HD...
deer_farmer
Novice

Post by deer_farmer »

been in the woods way more than four years and I aint telling nobody what to do,I damm sure aint making no movie or writing no book.i just a man doing his own thing in his own time...
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

My son goes gold detecting in the forest. Often stays overnight in a tent or whatever with a mate.

Hardly ever finds even a speck but loves the peace of the woods.

Geoff
The Baker
deer_farmer
Novice

Post by deer_farmer »

the seasons are changing and I moving on to hunt squirrel and deer...good luck to all and happy shining from somewhere in the woods.
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Hope you made enough for your winter time needs, our bow season is starting next weekend and small game doesn't come until jan.
Good luck and see ya on the next round!
Shine0n
deer_farmer
Novice

Post by deer_farmer »

first three squirrels of the 2018 hunting season.
Attachments
42586410_918797344978798_4730277663267094528_n.jpg
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Nice, I'd like to have 2 dozen with some redeye gravy and rice please.
JK
I'm going to up my hunting game this season to make damn sure I have what I need for the year.

The wife didn't like to hear that but she likes the deer loin and ribs too much to deny me that.

Oh and fishing...we snagged over 100 speck trout just me and a buddy yesterday but only aloud to keep 5 each.

It's meat in the freezer tho.

Keep up the good work :thumbup:
deer_farmer
Novice

Post by deer_farmer »

got another one today
Attachments
43411590_492588301260822_8702884105806675968_n.jpg
deer_farmer
Novice

Post by deer_farmer »

its time to embark on another season...I was thinking about some changes to make it easy on myself as I getting up in age(57)but then I think if it easy on me it will be easy for someone to sneak in on me.so its back to"somewhere in the woods".mashing will be started by weeks end.i will fill four 30 gallon barrels and start the first one day then within four days I have four 25 gallon mashes going...
it will be my 22nd year,i did take a couple years off 2004-2005,i crashed one of my H-Ds into a bean field and I took some time to recover fully.hunting season was pretty good this year.pictured is ol' wiley coyote I took with my 25 cal air rifle,she was one of four this season...
Attachments
42649438_1907847245958307_5030795846363381760_n.jpg
0119182015-01.jpg
Uffucowboy
Novice

Post by Uffucowboy »

Gotta love purdy copper.
Shine on.....
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Tater wrote:You all talk tradition .Reason still was done that as was to hide them so ya could make some tax free money.And hopefully not get caught All the shinners I ever knew talked about how they hated the fact the law caused them to have to make it that way.Shinning goes way back in my family tree.Heard tales of how nice it was to be out in woods .Never heard one say they be in such a rough ass place way back from no ware by choice.Far as I could tell tradition was do it anywhere ya think ya could get away with it close to water source .Woods basement barn shed cave .And keeping look over shoulder for the man.Then get worried ya had it there to long and start looking for new place.Witch would mean finding another place. work on it then carriy everything on your back or if lucky a mule to new place .your carrying in still, materials to build mash boxes. grain sugar and wooden barrels.wood for fire( not any wood . dry wood that wouldnt smoke) and tools to do all this with . Then carry in something to carry likker out with . and cycle repeats itself .My father told me reason he quit shinning and got a public job was cause shinning was to hard a job for risk.Grand pa got caught twice before he quit;Great grand dad never got caught .
No lazy man ever made whisky . The lazy ones drank a lot of it .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
deer_farmer
Novice

Post by deer_farmer »

somewhere in the woods.looks pretty clear this year.some clean up and it be ready to go...
Attachments
GEDC0030.JPG
woods1.JPG
Beovoxo
Novice

Post by Beovoxo »

nice build :)
deer_farmer
Novice

Post by deer_farmer »

well a sad ending is coming to another season of being somewhere in the woods,it was a great season for the task at hand.i made six runs this year slightly lower than the past years.same secure site and same great results.a total of 17 gallons once tempered to 90 proof...
as is I stand alone in my work,i had a guy teach me the ropes so to speak and we enjoyed being deep in the woods following tradition.that friend has long since passed away but being out doing our thing gave us great memories
folks here ran off at the mouth and got smart with me not knowing nothing about the situation here somewhere in the woods.standing alone at the site makes me think back and reflect on what I was taught.i was taught it aint nothing but hard work for greater reward.we cannot go back into the past and change what we have done or not done.i have no regrets on my journey into the woods and would not change a thing.
one thing for sure as every year passes everything in life gets harder,the guy who taught me always said to me as I was sweating doing the heavy work cause he could no longer do it that the hard work will pay off keeping me going through out the years to come.i always believed him and it is true that the more one puts into life the more will come from life.sure I could make it easy and set in up the back yard taking the hard work out of it making it easy but I think the reward will not be as great to me.
so in closing I tip my shot glass to all who carry on the tradition of being somewhere in the woods.
deer_farmer
Novice

Post by deer_farmer »

1010191753-01.jpg
a look back
0606161626-00.jpg
1114161047-00.jpg
Yonder
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Yonder »

Good beer, nice set up, but damn son did you gut shoot that buck? Take yer time, that’s what the woods is about.
Double, Double, toil and trouble. Fire Burn and pot still bubble.
deer_farmer
Novice

Post by deer_farmer »

no yonder the buck was not really gut shot so to speak,he was quartering away and turned as I pulled the trigger.here is the heart from that buck,he ran 60 yards and piled up very close to my 4x4.he is buck number 26 with a crossbow.
1114161352-00.jpg
Yonder
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Yonder »

Damn good hit. My apologies.
deer_farmer
Novice

Post by deer_farmer »

13320414_1057283847650644_4118006219144439879_o.jpg
no problem, here is one from a 2016.
Yonder
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Yonder »

Purty. Damned healthy lookin’ too. Deer also. :P
deer_farmer
Novice

Post by deer_farmer »

thanks yonder.here another one.i pretty much live in the woods.hunted and fished ALL my life.
GEDC0124.JPG
Eire Whiskey

Post by Eire Whiskey »

I saw this nice North Alabama Hill Deer when I was out. The only rifle I had was my Mosin, and I was afraid there would not be much meat left if I harvested it. North Alabama deer are very small.
deer.jpg
pope
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pope »

My dad’s dad and his grandfather apparently did enough hunting and fishing with him to last a lifetime, by the time I came around he was pretty much through with it. All the family guns aren’t even in his direct possession though he still owns them. BUT whenever I think about those old fellas I figure they’d be proud of all the spirits I’m making.
"A little learning is a dang'rous thing; Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring: There shallow draughts intoxicate the brain, And drinking largely sobers us again." - Alexander Pope
Yonder
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Yonder »

Eire Whiskey wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:38 am I saw this nice North Alabama Hill Deer when I was out. The only rifle I had was my Mosin, and I was afraid there would not be much meat left if I harvested it. North Alabama deer are very small.
deer.jpg
Nice. More meat ‘n a Florida deer, too. Hunted ‘em with a .22 but wasn’t much meat left... took a couple, years back. Went close on 50 pounds I’d guess. Hung ‘em for agein’ in a shed. Came back a couple of days later and found the mosquitoes had carried one away. The other had shrunk up so tight I just went an sliced him for jerky, straight away.
Oh, yeah, .... Merry Christmas to y’all, too.
Eire Whiskey

Post by Eire Whiskey »

Yonder wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:14 pm
Eire Whiskey wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:38 am I saw this nice North Alabama Hill Deer when I was out. The only rifle I had was my Mosin, and I was afraid there would not be much meat left if I harvested it. North Alabama deer are very small.
deer.jpg
Nice. More meat ‘n a Florida deer, too. Hunted ‘em with a .22 but wasn’t much meat left... took a couple, years back. Went close on 50 pounds I’d guess. Hung ‘em for agein’ in a shed. Came back a couple of days later and found the mosquitoes had carried one away. The other had shrunk up so tight I just went an sliced him for jerky, straight away.
Oh, yeah, .... Merry Christmas to y’all, too.
LOL, What used to get me was people talking about deer in Alabama being small. I have seen some big arse deer even way down where I am. They may not be as big as the supposed Northern deer, but they aren't goat size either. LOL I've not had deer meat in nearly two decades. I became disabled in 2001, and then moved away from friends who used to share their kill. It's okay though because I went on a plant based diet and I rarely eat meat anymore, but I won't turn it down either. LOL
RC Al
Swill Maker

Post by RC Al »

Too many are focused on the destination to enjoy the journey

Not you dude :clap:

Live to ride :thumbup:
deer_farmer
Novice

Post by deer_farmer »

I would like to wish those here at home distiller a very merry christmas
Eire Whiskey

Post by Eire Whiskey »

deer_farmer wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:35 am I would like to wish those here at home distiller a very merry christmas
Merry Christmas to you as well! I am hoping to be able to ride my bike Christmas morning. It is supposed to be mostly sunny and the temperatures mild around 54ºF starting out around 0500-0600. When I say bike, I mean bicycle. I had to sell my Harley and Goldwing, they always went to fast, especially the Goldwing. LOL
wolf man
Novice

Post by wolf man »

its been awhile since I visited this site,i see the deer farmer still at it somewhere in the woods.a man doing his own thing in his own time.i don't really watch moonshiners but I did catch one of the shows that centered around ole' tickle,he seemed to say "in the woods" about 100 times in the hour show.i wonder if tickle was/is referring to this thread during that show,maybe not just seems odd to me that this thread is huge with a lot of people following it.maybe tickle and deer farmer know each other but I don't think so.
well anyway It seems like deer farmer has still got it somewhere in the woods.that boiler going into the thumper that looks like a smaller boiler is a sweet set up.i wonder how good it runs?looks like a true doubler to me.
tradition at its finest being in the woods by the moonlit night just sounds great to me.the people who bashed him and made fun at him are eating crow at this time so I am tole.
a little late but merry christmas home distillers.
until next time have a happy new year and many moonlit nights somewhere in the woods.